U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2009, 05:03 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,061,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabiscuit View Post
Really? I actually had a friend from Hawaii who went there too and she absolutely loved it. In fact I almost went there myself back in the day but it didn't work out, and I ended up going to UH instead. When I was younger, I just didn't appreciate the beautiful scenery I guess and just got too homesick. Does your friend miss Alaska?
I think she misses it, but not necessarily the cold weather.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 05:29 AM

351 posts, read 404,058 times
Quote:
My last question for you is... what school did you go to, if you don't mind me asking? That's usually the first thing you ask when you're from Hawaii right? I'm a Kaiser grad, please save the comments... ha ha... well, you take it easy... thanks again...
How very Hawaii: To answer your question - "What school you went?" or "what school you wen go?" to use the local Hawaii flavor. I graduated from Kalaheo in Kailua. I was in the last class where it transitioned from an intermediate to a high school, so I was there for 6 years. I actually enjoyed it - I went to school with some, um - interesting people. Kailua had it's share of the underworld/local mafia back then. I'll say no more.

You grad from Kaiser - so you're from THAT part of the island. lol. No stigma - just funny. One of my good friends from times ago didn't actually make it through Kaiser - she ended up with a GED. She took auto mechanics right before she dropped out - really blew away a lot of the guys. Boy, we did have some great times. You've brought back some good memories for me. Thanks!!

Yes Ala Moana has changed. The top floor is now for the rich and ritzy. Liberty House was "the place" for the fashionable. (Laughing inside a lot now.) I remember two annual trips to Ala Moana as a kid: shopping for school clothes before the school year, and Christmas Shopping. As a real little kid I used to play in the sandbox there. It was a very different place. I believe it is still the largest open-air mall in the U.S. and in the top 20 largest malls in the US overall. 5th Avenue mall in Anchorage is more like a shopping center by comparison, but has it's own charm.

Quote:
Escaping the city life, full of self-centered, materialistic and careless people, is what I really want to do. I don't hold that against anyone, if they like nice clothes and sporty cars, and just kind of take life by the materialistic approach because all they care about is what people think they are, that's their choice. But I find it a waste of time and hopefully one day they will too. Life is just too short. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now...
You have a VERY CROWDED soapbox.
And you are right, life is way too short, and maybe shorter than you think. I've been close to the end a number times and thought "am I going to make it out of this?" But here I am. I live by many things and I like quotes which express it better than I can, one of my favorites is: "We take risks not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping". To me that is just so true. Many people can't understand why someone would put themselves in a situation that may be "bad", risky, or dangerous. But if they can't understand it - there is no way I can explain it. Adventure rarely knocks on your door, you have to seek it and make it happen. Sometimes that involves risks, you can't always expect to be safe. One part of a previous job was working with risk analysis for Information Technology - our credo was "we don't avoid risk, we manage it". That can apply to just about anything. I know people who have done themselves in doing something they love to do. More power to them, we remember their love and their spirit. "Eddie would go" says a lot. (if you don't remember it - google it). Their loved ones and friends understand what moves them and drives their soul. Another of my favorites from Keola and Kapono Beamer: "No regrets, only good times".
Here's a few more you might like and identify with:

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

"I'd rather blow up than rust"
Jimmy Hall (1966-2007 - One of the great ones)

Marilyn Ferguson:
"Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom."

Regarding not "fitting in" in Hawaii. Ridiculous, there really is no such thing. Everyone fits in. It is not always evident but most people there realize that tourism is still the #1 industry and the military is still #2. You have to respect your main sources of income, and most people do.

I've been doing a windows update this evening - 248MB, sure took a loooong time. Sometimes I kind of miss the 8MB download speeds I used to have. Well it finally finished - over 3 hours - whew.

Quote:
There is definitely a similarity between Alaska and Hawaii, I believe a connection of some kind that may be beyond our understanding. Not to sound hokey but I want to believe that there is a special bond between the two places because I feel I belong there.
There are a number of connections between the two places.
You are not hokey and not alone in your feelings. There is at least one other person who feels the same. Keep dreaming of Alaska, only by dreaming will you strive to make it reality.

Best wishes and best to you on getting up here.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:03 PM

24 posts, read 53,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkyhi View Post
How very Hawaii: To answer your question - "What school you went?" or "what school you wen go?" to use the local Hawaii flavor. I graduated from Kalaheo in Kailua. I was in the last class where it transitioned from an intermediate to a high school, so I was there for 6 years. I actually enjoyed it - I went to school with some, um - interesting people. Kailua had it's share of the underworld/local mafia back then. I'll say no more.

You grad from Kaiser - so you're from THAT part of the island. lol. No stigma - just funny. One of my good friends from times ago didn't actually make it through Kaiser - she ended up with a GED. She took auto mechanics right before she dropped out - really blew away a lot of the guys. Boy, we did have some great times. You've brought back some good memories for me. Thanks!!

Yes Ala Moana has changed. The top floor is now for the rich and ritzy. Liberty House was "the place" for the fashionable. (Laughing inside a lot now.) I remember two annual trips to Ala Moana as a kid: shopping for school clothes before the school year, and Christmas Shopping. As a real little kid I used to play in the sandbox there. It was a very different place. I believe it is still the largest open-air mall in the U.S. and in the top 20 largest malls in the US overall. 5th Avenue mall in Anchorage is more like a shopping center by comparison, but has it's own charm.

You have a VERY CROWDED soapbox.
And you are right, life is way too short, and maybe shorter than you think. I've been close to the end a number times and thought "am I going to make it out of this?" But here I am. I live by many things and I like quotes which express it better than I can, one of my favorites is: "We take risks not to escape life but to prevent life from escaping". To me that is just so true. Many people can't understand why someone would put themselves in a situation that may be "bad", risky, or dangerous. But if they can't understand it - there is no way I can explain it. Adventure rarely knocks on your door, you have to seek it and make it happen. Sometimes that involves risks, you can't always expect to be safe. One part of a previous job was working with risk analysis for Information Technology - our credo was "we don't avoid risk, we manage it". That can apply to just about anything. I know people who have done themselves in doing something they love to do. More power to them, we remember their love and their spirit. "Eddie would go" says a lot. (if you don't remember it - google it). Their loved ones and friends understand what moves them and drives their soul. Another of my favorites from Keola and Kapono Beamer: "No regrets, only good times".
Here's a few more you might like and identify with:

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and shouting,
".... holy crap....what a ride!"

"I'd rather blow up than rust"
Jimmy Hall (1966-2007 - One of the great ones)

Marilyn Ferguson:
"Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom."

Regarding not "fitting in" in Hawaii. Ridiculous, there really is no such thing. Everyone fits in. It is not always evident but most people there realize that tourism is still the #1 industry and the military is still #2. You have to respect your main sources of income, and most people do.

I've been doing a windows update this evening - 248MB, sure took a loooong time. Sometimes I kind of miss the 8MB download speeds I used to have. Well it finally finished - over 3 hours - whew.

There are a number of connections between the two places.
You are not hokey and not alone in your feelings. There is at least one other person who feels the same. Keep dreaming of Alaska, only by dreaming will you strive to make it reality.

Best wishes and best to you on getting up here.
hi Brian! I am so sorry it took me so long to reply, it's been a crazy couple of weeks. I can't thank you enough for all the info and inspiration you have given me. I love all the quotes, they make so much sense. I especially like Marilyn Ferguson, "Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom." We don't always reach for our dreams or try something new because we are afraid. Being content is not necessarily the same as being happy. People sit and stay in the same place, whether it's a job or where they live, I unfortunately am one of them. But I did leave Hawaii on my own because I had to get off the rock and see what the outside world was like. If I never left, I'd be sitting there wishing I did, and I'd be so unhappy so I'm glad I got myself to make the jump. I just wish I could make the jump to Alaska. I would if I were on my own but when you're married you have to both make the decision so that's where I am on Alaska... just sitting and waiting, hoping something will spark the jump.

Your friend from Kaiser sounds pretty cool... I just get a kick out of girls who can do guy stuff so well. So you're from Kailua huh? That is the most beautiful part of Oahu I think. My parents almost bought in Kaneohe but somehow we ended up in Hawaii Kai. I'm a "townie" I guess is what they used to call us... never quite understood or liked it but oh well, whatever... Hawaii has a name for everyone and everything. We were definitely not in the rich area, just the average track home which were the same every 3-4 houses down the block.

You sound like you've had quite a ride... very adventurous and outgoing... well, you're in Barrow so that tells me something too, it's just so cool... I would love to live a lifestyle like that... it's ultimate freedom. You're right, when people go out doing what they love, it does help their friends and family cope. Whatever it was, it was chosen and they knew the risk, and now they are in a better place. Although it doesn't take away the sadness, it somehow seems to ease the mind of those who survived them.

As I get older, life does seem so short. You almost feel like it's being wasted by everyday life - go to work - come home - go to work - come home, it gets so old. Not that I wouldn't do the same thing in Alaska cause we all have to make a living, but driving to work seeing all the beauty around you would be such an inspiration, every day. I think you appreciate life more because nature is everywhere and the beautiful scenery just rejuvenates you. The wildlife is just so awesome too because I really love animals. I know I would adjust to the weather, you have to, it will all be worth it. Sure it may not be convenient at times, having to scrape your windshield, snow blow your driveway, keep your battery heated, and everything else you have to work at but you all survive up there just fine it seems. It's live and learn right? There's always a give and take, a good and bad to everything. If the good outweighs the bad, it's all worth it.

Oh, I love the Beamer Brothers and "Only Good Times". I also love "Home" and "Honolulu City Lights", that's just awesome when you're flying into Honolulu and you see all the blue lights on the airport runway. I do miss home when I listen to Hawaiian music, which is why I don't listen to it too often cause it makes me homesick.

I know the "fitting in" thing is kind of stupid and all in my mind but I guess being in the mainland has really opened my eyes. In Hawaii, anything goes, kind of what I expect Alaska to be like. But Hawaii does have its prejudices whereas I think Alaskans are less critical of people. Although I've read the posts and they are so tough, the one thing they do not tolerate is stupidity, which I think is great. It makes Alaskans so different from anyone else. There's no room for stupidity and carelessness when you live in Alaska because it can be fatal.

Yeah, my soapbox is pretty crowded. I know some Alaskans thought Chris McCandless wasn't prepared but I could really relate to what he was doing. "Things" don't matter and although he suffered in the end, he was living his dream. He was quite the extremist but I completely understand why he ran away from the trap he was caught in. He wanted to be free and chose Alaska because it seems that is the one place you can be. I could see what drove him, he was searching for something and he found it at the end (from what I saw in the movie) but it was too late.

Well, thank you so much for writing. You are such a great writer and so articulate. You realize there is a deeper meaning to everything on the surface. I hope you're enjoying the winter up there and having fun. Best of luck to you too. I can't thank you enough for all your encouragement. You really do understand, more than anyone because you're from Hawaii. We grew up the same and have fell in love with Alaska for a reason. I think there really is a connection and something about Alaska makes us feel like we're home. You take care and hope to hear from you again soon.
Aloha, Seabiscuit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage