U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 61,149 times
Talking Crime Stats

Hi there,

I am considering moving to Anchorage for my job. I am a single female and nervous about the move. I noticed that crime in Anchorage is very high, especially rape. It is the highest in the US. I compared it to NY and LA and it was still higher. It seems like I am more scared of the guys than the bears. Is it really that bad living there?

Gracie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 12:12 AM

14,732 posts, read 23,849,254 times
I find Anchorage being the highest city for rape hard to believe. But I've seen no official stats.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:50 AM

39 posts, read 287,841 times
Alaska has the highest rape rate in the nation, and is (last I heard) the second highest city.

You definitely need to be aware of your surroundings. From personal experience, I have had one person attempt to follow me home when I was sixteen and another extensive harassment when I was around twenty. Both were people I knew from work. I never went to the bars or clubs, but I would imagine it could be that much worse.

You should be fine as long as you keep your head about you. Don't walk alone at night, stay out of certain areas of town at all times, don't let your gas tank run low, carry a cell phone. If single, I would probably want a large-ish dog at home with me. But again, these are precautions--you should be fine. It is very much an issue of where you go and with whom you spend your time.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:50 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,237,917 times
I also find it hard to believe Anchorage has the worst rape statistics...I lived there for 17 years and never heard any such thing. Realistically, if you are the type who likes to frequent bars until the wee hours of the morning, get totally bombed, then accept rides home with whomever offers you one....then yes, you might have reason to worry. Otherwise, I wouldn't give it too much concern. My sister lives in Anchorage and loves it. My $.02

Bud

Hmmm....let me re-phrase my 1st response. I just researched the stats. Anchorage IS really very high...like the 2nd worst that I could find. Rapid City, SD was #1, and St Louis was right up there also. What makes Anchorage so bad? I dunno. But, I would say superstition's tips are right on: never go out at night alone...always be with one or two friends if you must go out on the town, or just stay home. NEVER accept a ride from strangers....always take a cab.
Quote: (It is very much an issue of where you go and with whom you spend your time) Exactly...

Last edited by BudinAk; 03-10-2007 at 01:30 AM..

Old 03-10-2007, 07:05 AM

7 posts, read 61,149 times
Default Reason

The reason why I ask is because I like to road and moutain bikes and it makes me nervous to think about being on the open road or trails and possibly being vulnerable to such a scarey act of violence. I am just trying to get a sense of what the city is like. I am not a bar person but outdoor person. I dont understand why it so high there.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:49 AM

39 posts, read 287,841 times
It is a risk in that environment. There's a beautiful Coastal Trail in Anchorage that is very popular, but I have also heard several times of women being attacked on it while biking or jogging alone. Get a dog, carry some mace, or take a self-defense class. The risk is not nearly high enough that it should deter you from going, just make sure you're careful.

But... you also have to keep in mind that there is an even higher chance you'll run into a moose on one of those trails.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:43 PM

14,732 posts, read 23,849,254 times
Forget all that other stuff. Carry a gun. And if someone did try to attack you shoot them right between the eyes. Maybe there would be less stats if more women just flat out eliminated the source. In time maybe these types would think twice about attacking a woman.
Me being down here on the Kenai Pen, we don't get much of that, especially here in Sterling. I'm sure it happens on occasion, but man I cannot remember when the last time I heard of a rape around Sterling or Soldotna, if I ever have.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:44 AM

63 posts, read 201,161 times
Well as this is in my line of work. Don't always believe statistics... the FBI can only report what the cities report.... Many times the cities don't add in everything because it makes them look bad.. Little rule of thumb from many Criminology profs. Some towns/cities report better than others. I myself am like Rance I always have my gun, but again I work for the Dept. of Corrections. Mace is always good and is cheap, and there are also stun guns. Also many rape cases aren't truly rape... usually the women decides to change her mind after she sobers up so on and so forth. Also a lot of the cases deal with the natives up there. IF that is something you are afraid of I would just steer clear of any cities with a large populations.. JMO. If you stay in the right areas and you should be fine, and just pay attention to your surroundings.

Cynthia

Old 03-12-2007, 03:12 PM

957 posts, read 1,491,688 times
U R right CL99...here, too, a lot of rape/molestation cases involve families (sick but true)...relatives messing with teenage girls; getting them drunk in order to take advantage, etc. or statutory rape... It is a fact that some people just do not grow up with the same boundary system in Alaska. Or they're just plain sicko! And I, too, would carry a gun and practice using it. Crime is not nearly the issue here that it is there, but I never go anywhere without my .44. If nothing else, firing it in the air might scare away an animal that is getting too close for comfort!

Old 04-16-2007, 03:33 AM

25,085 posts, read 8,100,381 times
Graciebear hi I understand your concern over moving to Anchorage. I am a single female too and have been considering the same move. I had no idea rape was an issue though. Especially in Anchorage. Maybe you should explore areas immediately outside the area and do your outdoor activities with a group. There is usually safety in numbers. If that does not bring you any comfort forget the mace (if you are not prepared to do hand-to-hand combat) Walk softly and do what Rance advises- get a big gun, but if you pull it you will likely have to use it Good luck...I may rethink Anchorage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage