Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 02:54 PM

50 posts, read 128,341 times

Advertisements

Thanks DannyL, But I don't think we have afull team yet. Once we get moved we hope to start our adoption process again. would love to adopt at least 2 more times. also we really don't play basketball, Now croquet is another story did you know it was a contact sport, we also have to buy a new set almost evry year, because if you can't find your ball you don't get to take the shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 03:02 PM

O.k. I'll whine! This stress is driving me crazy! I know it hasn't been that long, and my husband says we'll find a place. But Oh man! I want to know we have aplace. Worst fear Hubby can't find one then must leave for the slope without finding one, next he'll use his time off to continue to look instead of being able to helpmove us at the end of february. Oh Did I also mention the run down shack we would end up with in a horrible neighborhood with bears and wolves in the back yard and don't forget the moose running rabid in the front yard. LOL I feel better now

Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
Well, the horrible neighborhood is just like the good ones, in that the wolves, bears and moose have free reign over ALL of the Anchorage bowl and the rest of Alaska too. LOL

Seriously, moose are as bad as loose dogs down in the lower 48. You don't know when you'll run into them (in person, or in a car) and whether they are nasty mamas with a calf nearby or a male in rut, or just having a bad hair day. Or if they'll ignore you. Bears are less of a nuisance than moose, but are still part and parcel of the "Alaska package". Wolves even less so, but they did take several small pets out in the valley north of Anchorage and even, I believe, into Eagle River as well.

I would still rather have the moose, bears and wolves rather than the nasty folks that seem to come with a lot of neighborhoods outside.

Just warn the troops that cute animal doesn't translate to safe animal. They'll be safer and healthier. There are several generalities when dealing with bears, but the "Don't Run" rule is a good general rule. It seems to trigger the predator instinct in bears. They aren't common, but laying out the guidelines in advance prevents a lot of later regrets and recriminations.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:12 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,653 times
Alanaxabay...
You may wish to tell the husband that there are a few rentals in Wasilla that aren't listed in the papers or online, but have signs posted in front of the property.
It all seems overwhelming when the husband is at work and you are left sorting things out...trust me, I know how that is, but the pieces will fall into place and rapidly. Just remember to breathe...the best is yet to come

BTW, welcome to Alaska

Old 01-25-2009, 06:34 PM

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder, Cori!

Alana - welcome to the Great Land!

Remember, pack your sense of humor in the car. Your gonna need it. "Are we there, yet?" is not a cliche. It's reality after 6-7 hours in the car with the crumb-snatchers. Thanks Apple for iPods.

And after you get here, unpack that sense of humor, and let it breathe for a day or two. You'll still need it. Finding the spatula that was supposed to be packed in the kitchen utensils box becomes a treasure hunt. (Why did it wind up in the kid's personal box?) What do you mean, a week to get a phone? It's summer, why is 65 and raining? The usual suspects will still pounce like a leopard and catch you unawares at the wrong moments. When they do, walk outside, take a deep breath. Notice anything? Yep, that's REAL fresh air. See those mountains. They're only 5-10 miles away. Yep, thats a walk you need to take. Smell the roses, get out and DO it. Your life here is just starting and the llttle things will take care of themselves (not the kids, just the little aggravations -and I still don't mean the kids!)

Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 PM

218 posts, read 518,644 times
Keep us updated, I have been browsing the craigslist ads for 3-4 BR rentals in the valley area as well. It'd be interesting to hear how it works out for you. From what I see there seem to be a lot that I would be interested in. We're looking in the 1100-1400 price range because from what I've seen if we try to go under a thousand I think my wife would feel claustrophobic, cramped and would end up hating where we lived. I want to give her every opportunity to love the place we live (cause that means we get to stay in Alaska--if mom ain't happy, ain't nobody happy), and the most important thing to her is her "home" and how it makes her feel You say you haven't had much luck yet, are the rentals you've seen just over billed on craigslist and turn out to be disappointments? I don't know if it's against TOS to post the craigslist ad you've visited and what happened. If so it'd be interesting if you had time to send a private message. Thanks, man I love this site! So much to learn.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:11 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
You can have the hubby go out to the local stores, too. There's normally things on the bulletin boards saying where rentals are available.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the reminder. i hope I still have my sense of humor. I do tell the kids and hubby that on certain days I know their mission is to drive me crazy, but I'm holding on to the edge of sanity with my fingertips. And I can't wait to get there we love doing things outside!!! I'm not a health nut fitness guru but we do love to be outside, and just play. Though I will add fish should come from the store but I will go fishing and when camping I have been known to take a small fridge, fan,air matress, and iron must camp in an area with electrical hook-up, Oh don't forget the showers. But hey I'm still in a tent.
With Craigslist, We hope to keep our rent at 2,000. or under. But, we would like a nice yard, we have pets and would like to garden and hopefully be out of the city a little bit. There seems to be alot of duplexes and town homeswe really don't want that. we also need at least a 3 bedroom, 4 would be better. I don't mean to be picky, but we're coming from a home that has 60 acres, outside a town of 3,000 people. Plus we want a long term rental. Hey, But I did get the Christmas stuff packed,a week or so ago but it's still packed! Also, Hubby is confident even if I'm a lttle edgy. thanks guys you help me keep my sanity!

Old 01-26-2009, 08:29 AM

$2K a month in the valley should get you quite a home. Trust me.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:27 PM

Well I've been looking and I've been on craiglist over and over. But, when you start to narrow it down there's not much. Even for 2K . we would like a nice yard, we have pets 2 dogs 1 cat. we need at least a 3 bedroom and we don't want a house on top of house situation. Also not a townhouse or duplex etc. With all that it just goes down the drain. The property management have a few but it seems like for more then 2k or it's a duplex or townhouse or it doesn't have that big of yard or each house is sied by side. Do I sound to picky I don't know. But, hey if you see one let me know. Thanks I can see the mountains in my mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage