Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 PM

6 posts, read 10,664 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Im wondering if anyone can make a suggestion. My husband is a pilot being reassigned a base in Anchorage. Im a little nervous about weather coming from las vegas, plus I have 2 young kids age 2 and 5. Would Anchorage be a nice place to live or would oregon (hood river specifically) be a better choice. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 10:31 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,176,962 times
I haved lived in WA and Alaska, and of the 2, I prefer Alaska. However, winters are a little milder in OR than in Anchorage, and you would be closer to extended family if you were there.

If you like feeling like your stepping in nature, and your kids might like it, come here.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:09 AM

119 posts, read 385,495 times
Default Prefer Alaska

I can't really speak for Oregon, but I have lived in western WA state which I believe is similar, and I prefer Alaska. The scenery is spectacular, lots of outdoor activities, no state income tax, no sales tax (in Anchorage) a laid back lifestyle, excellent schools and universities, a lots of things you can't do in the lower 48- dog mushing, watching the northern lights, king salmon fishing, playing outside under the midnight sun. Certainly a vast difference from Vegas. I guess it boils down to how much of a change you are seeking.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:42 AM

We love the outdoors, but I have heard the lack of sunlight is rough, even on those not coming from sun country. That worries me a lot. I dont think my kids would mind. They hate the heat, me too. We do have family in Oregon and the weather being milder is a draw. Im also an herbalist here. I have good work teaching and lots of opportunity. Not sure what the need is there for that. Schools are VERY important to me. I can work at a college, I teach at one now. What IS the u up there?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:43 AM

by the way, what do you do in the winter, summer for fun. Do you worry about bears when out for a jog etc. This must sound silly from a city girl. I have seen a coyote once here, thats it.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:08 PM

140 posts, read 468,892 times
- fishing
- hunting
- watching wildlife+ taking pictures, especially of little colorful bugs
- scenery-photography
- hiking
- snowboarding + skiing
- kind people in AK
- atv's/dirtbikes
- photography ( duh ! )
- no state income tax
- no state sales tax
- canoe
- kayak
- snowmobiling
- great seafood
- amazing restaurants ( or so i heard )
- motor boats + jet skis

and much more !

Old 01-27-2009, 03:15 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,365,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I haved lived in WA and Alaska, and of the 2, I prefer Alaska. However, winters are a little milder in OR than in Anchorage, and you would be closer to extended family if you were there.

If you like feeling like your stepping in nature, and your kids might like it, come here.
Don't sugar coat it...winters in Oregon are A LOT milder. Someone moving to Anchorage should not expect 45-55 degrees on an average winter day. They should expect to shave the ice off their windshield etc. You won't have to worry about leaving your car outside for a week straight without turning it on or being being plugged in during the winter in Oregon. Oregon also has a lot of nature as well. I'm not saying choose Oregon over Alaska, I'm just trying to cut to the truth and not sugar coat it. Alaska has very cold/snowy/icy winters, even Anchorage. If you can afford to live in the Southern part of Anchorage, it's a nice place to raise your kids and a nice area to live. Rabbit Creek for example.

Things to consider (good and bad)...you can add basically 3 extra hours of flying anytime you travel in the United States excluding Hawaii & Pacific Northwest. It gets dark around 4 pm during the winter (sunrise around 9:30am) and stays light until midnight during the summer. There is wildlife, but not as much as most people think. You could have a week vacation and not see a single animal besides your typical birds and squirells. If you live in Alaska for more than a year, you can get the permanent fund dividend per family member. Gas is the most expensive in the country. The mountains are the biggest in the country. Fishing and Hiking can be found almost anywhere. There is no state income tax. Sales tax is irrelevant because Oregon also has no sales tax. Restaurants suck for the price. Something that would cost $15 in -48's will cost $25+ in Alaska. Also there are barely any authentic ethnic restaurants. This would be the same for Oregon besides Portland. Food prices are probally the highest in the country.

Last edited by Jonotastic; 01-27-2009 at 03:36 PM..

Old 01-27-2009, 03:25 PM

Default university and school links

University of Alaska Anchorage
www.uaa.alaska.edu

Alaska Pacific University
www.alaskapacific.edu

Anchorage Public schools
www.asdk12.org

Old 01-27-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinlasvegas View Post
by the way, what do you do in the winter, summer for fun. Do you worry about bears when out for a jog etc. This must sound silly from a city girl. I have seen a coyote once here, thats it.
There are trails that are travelled enough, and far enough from bear country that you are safe from bears. However, it is not a good idea to jog alone in wilderness areas, and even some trails within the city that have salmon streams that attract bears. In the winter, the bears hibernate, so not a problem. However, moose can be dangerous and are active all year round. When you live here, you quickly learn the ropes. Popular winter sports are skiiing- both downhill and cross country, snowmachining, hiking, ice hockey, ice skating, and of course there are plenty of gyms for indoor stuff.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:09 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,531,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2009 View Post
- fishing - Oregon has that too
- hunting - Oregon has that too
- watching wildlife+ taking pictures, especially of little colorful bugs - Oregon has that too
- scenery-photography - Oregon has that too
- hiking - Oregon has that too
- snowboarding + skiing - Oregon has that too
- kind people in AK - Oregon has that too
- atv's/dirtbikes - Oregon has that too
- photography ( duh ! ) - Oregon has that too
- no state income tax - Washington has that
- no state sales tax - Oregon has that too
- canoe - Oregon has that too
- kayak - Oregon has that too
- snowmobiling - Oregon has that too
- great seafood - Oregon has that too
- amazing restaurants ( or so i heard ) - Oregon has that too
- motor boats + jet skis - Oregon has that too

and much more ! - Oregon has that too
Winters west of the Cascades are mild compared to most places in Alaska. Winters east of the Cascades can vary from year to year but overall are pretty much on par with winter weather around Kenai and Anchorage.

Hood River is neither west nor east of the Cascades, so it is definitely colder and snowier there than say, Portland. Windy there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage