Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 PM

18 posts, read 48,282 times

Advertisements

I was stationed at Elmendorf and it was a great tour of duty! You're pretty fortunate that there isn't a wait list for base-housing! Alaska is such a beautiful place and I'm sure you'll love your time there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:46 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,189,382 times
Talking Welcome to Anchorage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaF8 View Post
We made it here to Elmendorf AFB. We're sitting in TLF (temporary living facility = military hotel) until we get our house on base. My poor puppy is in doggy jail til we do! I know it's a nice place (vet run) but that poor boy has been thru the gamut this trip!
We only brought 3 of the kids with us...& thankfully none of us got sick on the ferry, even though on the 2nd trip we had 15 foot waves at some places. The weird thing is that we're all still feeling like we're on the blasted thing! It's the STRANGEST thing I've ever experienced...
Thus far, we're all in awe of the absolutely stunning mountains! Can't wait to explore more!!!
BTW...we've received quite the bizare welcome! Being told that Mt Redoubt (sp?) might start spewing ash! How many of you have experienced this???
I was a Navy sailor for 20 years. The experience of feeling that you are still rolling is very common and is why some sailors have a "rolling gait" or way of walking that is strange after they pull into port. The feeling is much more intensified after you have been underway for 30-60 days. My personal longest underway period was 82 days in the Indian Ocean. I got off of the ship in the Seychelles, and immediately felt the ground moving. It took a week for it to wear off.

And the volcano is just another of our fantastic experiences that we stage to welcome new people. Kind of like the Las Vegas thing. LOL

Old 01-31-2009, 06:11 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,685,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaF8 View Post
BTW...we've received quite the bizare welcome! Being told that Mt Redoubt (sp?) might start spewing ash! How many of you have experienced this???
Thus far, I've seen Augustine eruptions twice, Redoubt's once and Spurr's once...plus I've seen a handfull of the volcano's along the chain going off over the years I commercial fished on both sides of the chain. I rather enjoy living here.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:29 AM

411 posts, read 957,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
Kind of like the Las Vegas thing. LOL

Old 01-31-2009, 11:01 AM

88 posts, read 206,522 times
I can't say for sure, since I've not experienced the volcano thing (yet), but I believe I'd rather be here with this than EVER go back to Florida!!! I absolutely HATE tornadoes! And humidity! AND no real trees! Here y'all have REAL trees, mountains, wildlife (saw our first momma moose & baby the first day we got here!), & SNOW!!! (I LOVE snow!)
And the entertainment! BETTER than Vegas...

Last edited by MommaF8; 01-31-2009 at 11:04 AM.. Reason: forgot something!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,189,382 times
The problem is (honestly) after 8 years here, I never get tired of seeing moose. It's always a mini-thrill for my day. And the dichotomy of living in a large city and seeing them wandering around blithely still amazes me.

Simple things for simple minds, I guess. I still like pretty sunrises too.

Last edited by JavaPhil; 01-31-2009 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: "city" is not spelled "cuty"

Old 01-31-2009, 11:37 AM

My 3rd eldest daughter is SOOO jealous of us! She LOVES moose! Everything about them...the goofy kid would have one as a pet if she was able! After 7 years in Montana without seeing any, she's now in AZ with her family & has even LESS chance now! Guess I'll have to get LOTS of photos for her, eh?
As for me...I'm still in shock I'm actually here! Finally!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:39 AM

21,368 posts, read 37,955,819 times
Momma, might want to change your location since you're here, and welcome to Alaska!

Old 01-31-2009, 12:22 PM

Thank you, Warptman, for the heads up. I did indeed change my location! Thank you also for the welcome! You Alaskans are the nicest folks! Very friendly & helpful...what a refreshing change!

Old 01-31-2009, 12:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 37,955,819 times
You are welcome! You can now start posting pictures on "recent Alaska pics" in the Alaska thread since you're here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage