Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 03:40 PM

153 posts, read 463,022 times

Advertisements

Is anyone familiar with any specialty food stores that might cater to restaurants? What I'm thinking of is like Italian supply stores that look more like warehouses where I can get imported things.

I'm sorry if I'm not explaining it well, they're usually kind of small places, but they have specialty items in bulk, usually. Kind of like Costco or Sams but those two stores do not seems to offer what I am seeking. The closest sort of thing I've found is a store called Par Avion in Colorado Springs, but San Antonio has nothing like it. I mean.. I haven't gone really looking in places like New York or LA or someplace that would certainly have them, just places that I travel to regularly and now I'm wondering if Anchorage offers one or two.

In particular I'm looking for European, because Asian food supply stores pop up on Google with almost no searching.

Shan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 04:14 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
I would help if you told us what you are looking for specifically. There are a couple specialty food stores in Anchorage.
  • Alaska Max Gourmet;
  • Watkins Products; and
  • Summit Spice & Tea Company;
There is also Laroma and Europa bakeries, which supplies resturants and grocery stores. I also know that Atlasta Deli makes and sells specialty items for resturants, such as demi glace.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:25 PM

I am looking for things like Mon Cherie chocolates, ladyfingers, Mandorla liqueur, grappa, bulk durum pastas, specialty olive oils, cheeses, certain pates, truffles, espresso beans.. So far I can only get those things rarely here. I'm sure I can order them to be shipped in (as I have been), it's just that it would be far easier if there were a supply store because I know that shipping will be insane if I get friends or stores in Europe to ship to my house.

Also, as in the case of the Mandorla & grappa, I don't know the laws for shipping alcohol to Alaska (don't worry- I _will_ find out ) but if there's a distributor already then I can have them order it if it's against the law for me to have it shipped to my home, or maybe the store can get it shipped in cheaper than to a personal address.

I know that I can probably find some of what I want at World Market or the stores you listed (hey cool thanks!), even the commissary and probably some of the grocery stores (man the world is getting smaller, no?) but I know there's a few things that I don't see being able to get from those places without a hassle.

It's not that I'm picky or that I have expensive tastes, truly. It's that I grew up with this stuff and if I can get it now and then without having to wait til I visit home then it's frosting on the decadent cake that is Alaska.

Shan

Old 03-14-2009, 12:03 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoatflan View Post
I am looking for things like Mon Cherie chocolates, ladyfingers, Mandorla liqueur, grappa, bulk durum pastas, specialty olive oils, cheeses, certain pates, truffles, espresso beans.
For chocolate you could try Alaska Wild Berry Products or Northern Delights Fine Candy. Both Laroma and Europe make lady fingers, or you could buy them packaged at Fred Myers. The Brown Jug carries a wide assortment of liqueurs. New Sagaya carries durum pastas and a large selection of imported olive oils. Costco carries a lot of Italian cheeses, and a few from Holland, France, and Switzerland. Fred myers has a limited selection of Irish, English, and of course American cheeses. New Sagaya also carries pates, truffles, and expresso beans.

You can find most ingredients in or around Anchorage if you look hard enough. Sometimes, however, it is easier and often cheaper to order what you need on-line. Don't forget, local suppliers include their shipping costs into the product they are selling, so you are paying for shipping either way.

New Sagaya is where I would start my search, if I were you. They don't just specialize in Asian cuisine, and they have the freshest sea food in Anchorage.

Quote:
So far I can only get those things rarely here. I'm sure I can order them to be shipped in (as I have been), it's just that it would be far easier if there were a supply store because I know that shipping will be insane if I get friends or stores in Europe to ship to my house.
Sometimes you just have to adapt the recipe to use local ingredients. For example, when making bouillabaisse it would be rather silly to order the traditional mediterranean fish on-line, when local fish and shellfish could be easily substituted. Other items, like with foie gras, ordering on-line is the only alternative.

Quote:
Also, as in the case of the Mandorla & grappa, I don't know the laws for shipping alcohol to Alaska (don't worry- I _will_ find out ) but if there's a distributor already then I can have them order it if it's against the law for me to have it shipped to my home, or maybe the store can get it shipped in cheaper than to a personal address.
It is not against the law, as long as you are 21 years old or older. You can order whatever you want, from whereever you want. I have wine shipped to Alaska regularly. The liqueurs I needed I have been able to find at Brown Jug.

Quote:
I know that I can probably find some of what I want at World Market or the stores you listed (hey cool thanks!), even the commissary and probably some of the grocery stores (man the world is getting smaller, no?) but I know there's a few things that I don't see being able to get from those places without a hassle.
There are always going to be a few items that you can't find in Alaska. That is part of the charm of living in Alaska. On the other hand, there are ingredients in Alaska that you can't find anywhere else, or even order on-line (legally). A good cook will adapt, improvise, and overcome.

Quote:
It's not that I'm picky or that I have expensive tastes, truly. It's that I grew up with this stuff and if I can get it now and then without having to wait til I visit home then it's frosting on the decadent cake that is Alaska.
Italian and French style cooking is still possible in Alaska, but you either have to adapt the ingredients to local items, hunt them down in various stores, or order them on-line. The most important ingredient is creativity.

Bon appetit

Last edited by Glitch; 03-14-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 03-14-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The most important ingredient is creativity.

Bon appetit

I love you.

Shan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: