U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 06-25-2009, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Florida
32 posts, read 41,195 times
Reputation: 16
wife just flew from tlh->atl->sea-> Juneau

not once asked for any health info nor was the size of the soft sided crate checked. seemed like a waste of out time but we had all our ducks in a row if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 06-25-2009, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Maple Lake, MN
8,671 posts, read 9,015,904 times
Reputation: 10129
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
On the health certificate, I'd say it's about 60-40 on being asked for it, with the 60 not being asked.

One thing I've noticed lately on Alaska Airlines is that there have been flights with big dogs walking off the plane and there seem to be more pets in the cabin. Did they change their rules on the size of pets allowed in the cabin?
I checked not too long ago, and unless changed again, only in the cabin if the carrier can fit under the seat...no parts of animal hanging out. I do think I remember seeing a service dog could be in the cabin though? not for positive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-25-2009, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Alaska
5,148 posts, read 7,794,877 times
Reputation: 3436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I checked not too long ago, and unless changed again, only in the cabin if the carrier can fit under the seat...no parts of animal hanging out. I do think I remember seeing a service dog could be in the cabin though? not for positive
The ones we saw weren't service dogs, at least they weren't wearing anything that indicated they were. They definitely were too big to fit under the seat. In May, we saw one medium dog and one medium/small dog walk through the security gate from one flight and medium dog on another flight (couple of small dogs on this flight too). We asked who we were picking up and they said yes the dogs flew in the cabin. My son said the person with the Chihuahua was a little annoying because she took her dog to the restroom about 10 times during the flight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-25-2009, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Maple Lake, MN
8,671 posts, read 9,015,904 times
Reputation: 10129
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
The ones we saw weren't service dogs, at least they weren't wearing anything that indicated they were. They definitely were too big to fit under the seat. In May, we saw one medium dog and one medium/small dog walk through the security gate from one flight and medium dog on another flight (couple of small dogs on this flight too). We asked who we were picking up and they said yes the dogs flew in the cabin. My son said the person with the Chihuahua was a little annoying because she took her dog to the restroom about 10 times during the flight.
They must have changed the rules again!!, I wonder if they had to pay full fare to put the dog in the seat next to them... It is bad enough to try to control a small child on a long flight, but a dog...would make me not want to go
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-25-2009, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Alaska
5,148 posts, read 7,794,877 times
Reputation: 3436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
They must have changed the rules again!!, I wonder if they had to pay full fare to put the dog in the seat next to them... It is bad enough to try to control a small child on a long flight, but a dog...would make me not want to go
I was think the same thing about paying for a seat. I was dying to ask, but didn't think it was appropriate. Our big dogs would just sleep unless other dogs were on the plane. Then our GSD would want to check them out. Still, if we were taking the dogs on vacation, I'd rather take the ferry and drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-25-2009, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 6,413,499 times
Reputation: 3031
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoNYC View Post
JFKis a living nightmare. the only two airports i hate more- well, equally- are DeGaulle and Leningrad. All of them need to be demolished with high explosives.

Haven't gotten as far as where would i fly from, tho. 10 hrs is a long time and how the hell are you supposed take care of your dog's needs if you can't take him out? i don't know if mine can go 10 hrs w/out peeing!
Check with the airports since I believe they do have walking areas for them to relieve themselves. Also as welgetas a nice soft type lambswool for dog to lay on, shread some newspapers for the carrying case so if worse comes to worse he can use those. Being such a small dog it's not gonna hurt anything. Which airport is your layover at and for how long?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-26-2009, 05:24 PM
 
17 posts, read 70,059 times
Reputation: 14
I flew up here from TN with 2 cats and a bird on Delta and they treated the animals great. We had no problems at all and were pretty pleased. The animals were put in cargo because of certain restrictions and I was pretty sure that we would have a dead bird by the time we got here (we had a cancelled flight...long layover), but believe it or not he survived. We attached a small water bottle to each carrier along with some food and they fed the animals during the longest layover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 06-26-2009, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Over the Rainbow...
5,964 posts, read 6,413,499 times
Reputation: 3031
Quote:
Originally Posted by akck View Post
I was think the same thing about paying for a seat. I was dying to ask, but didn't think it was appropriate. Our big dogs would just sleep unless other dogs were on the plane. Then our GSD would want to check them out. Still, if we were taking the dogs on vacation, I'd rather take the ferry and drive.
I know last year for the peke I took on the plane I had to pay $90; and then when you see other passengers carrying on all their junk that they are not supposed to and stuffing it overhead, and....holding up the line, I'm thinking I had to pay 90 lousey dollars for a live animal when all these people are breaking the rules by carrying more on then they were supposed to according to the rules? ! We had to pay $239 for the large dog that had to go in cargo. I am thinking dogs that are allowed in the plane without carrying cases must be service or companion dogs (in some cases I'm sure which are legit).

There is a physician here in Wasilla who actually told me she is trying to get her dog (large breed) listed as a companion dog so he can fly with her on the plane. Now there is nothing wrong with this woman whatsoever to require a service or companion dog, other then she is a lousey doctor and I don't go there anymore LOL...however, I did like the dog.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 06-26-2009 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top