Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 01:41 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,090,983 times

Advertisements

Who needs to go to the Brooks Range and Atigun Pass? I had snowfall at my house in Anchorage this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 06:02 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,350,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice04 View Post
I searched all over online and the forum, no luck. Can someone tell me what time frame to start to expect the cold/winter and snow to start? I am moving up next week and I am really looking forward to the winter
Fall begins around late-August in the Anchorage/Eagle River area. Temperatures will drop into the lower 40°F range at night, the leaves on the trees begin to turn color, and termination dust first appears on the Chugach Range mountain tops. Fall is the prettiest time of the year, without a doubt.

The first snowfall is usually around mid-October, but it could vary considerably. We have had winters where it hasn't snowed until December. However, that is unusual.

You are right, the roads are different in Alaska from the lower-48. They use a softer asphalt which tends to leave ruts on well-traveled roads, lots of potholes every Spring, and of course you still have to deal with frost heaves. But you had to deal with frost heaves in MN and PA, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

Driving on a well-rutted icy road during the winter can be a bit unnerving. The ruts pull your vehicle one way while you steer another way, and you aren't making any progress because of the ice, you just slip right back into a rut. If you aren't careful, those ruts could easily toss you into the ditch in the winter. So remember to always drive according to the conditions of the road.

Sometimes the snow melts off after the first snowfall, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on how much snow fell and how cold it has been. Eagle River gets slightly more snow than Anchorage.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:12 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,090,983 times
Best part about the winter is the darkness (in my book). You get short days and lots of snow - especially during the first half of winter (Nov - Jan). It can really look like a winter wonderland. After that, the snow seems to become less frequent, and it feels colder. You will love your first Christmas season here.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:16 PM

6,992 posts, read 12,650,900 times
Quote:
I searched all over online and the forum, no luck. Can someone tell me what time frame to start to expect the cold/winter and snow to start? I am moving up next week and I am really looking forward to the winter
your joking right???!!! you have a computer and somewhat know how to use it so "GOOGLE " for the info....ya missed it bud!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:09 PM

41 posts, read 162,761 times
I did google it, it gave a broad spectrum and I thought I would ask to get more accurate info. I wanted to hear about it first hand. I apologize for the inaccurate word use, let me rephrase...I looked all over and it gave me a broad spectrum and I wanted to hear about it from locals. Does that work better for ya?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:40 AM

88 posts, read 206,390 times
We got here in Jan & there was snow on the ground. It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I didn't find it all that cold...perhaps it's because it's not a damp / wet cold. Then again we came from WA (Spokane) where we had 4 foot of snow! Before living in WA it was MT...& I am from NE PA so I understand snow from Oct to April. I MUCH prefer the snow to the hot, humid weather of FL! (( I've been stationed in FL twice. Froze my fanny off each winter. No matter HOW many layers you put on, the wet, damp cold seeps thru! {{{Shudder!}}} ))
Anyhow, I think you'll really enjoy this beautiful state. I know my family & I have thus far!

Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,377,088 times
Quote:
I did google it, it gave a broad spectrum and I thought I would ask to get more accurate info. I wanted to hear about it first hand. I apologize for the inaccurate word use, let me rephrase...I looked all over and it gave me a broad spectrum and I wanted to hear about it from locals. Does that work better for ya?
That's what the forums are for. Best of luck in your move.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:19 AM

41 posts, read 162,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaF8 View Post
We got here in Jan & there was snow on the ground. It was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! I didn't find it all that cold...perhaps it's because it's not a damp / wet cold. Then again we came from WA (Spokane) where we had 4 foot of snow! Before living in WA it was MT...& I am from NE PA so I understand snow from Oct to April. I MUCH prefer the snow to the hot, humid weather of FL! (( I've been stationed in FL twice. Froze my fanny off each winter. No matter HOW many layers you put on, the wet, damp cold seeps thru! {{{Shudder!}}} ))
Anyhow, I think you'll really enjoy this beautiful state. I know my family & I have thus far!

I am originally from NE PA too. Also stationed in FL once (husband-Navy) and then chose to go back-I WASN'T THINKING CLEARY. Anyway I couldn't stand FL weather either. I am super excited. We are driving up to Seattle then flying from there. I also love roadtrips so I am SO excited for this.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:16 PM

88 posts, read 206,390 times
Default Winter...

We took the ferry from Bellingham. It was an experience. Glad we didn't take the miniature horses on the ferry as planned. We are planning to drive back to pick them up & drive back. Should be a beautiful trip!
You're gonna LOVE this place.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:19 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,667,260 times
I had 27 degrees at 5:30 AM this morning in Sterling. No planting yet. My garden is knee deep mud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage