Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,472 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been answered before (and often) here, but I can't find what I'm looking for with the search function.

My family (6 people) is moving to Anchorage this summer for employment reasons. We'll be arriving the end of July/beginning of August, and we're planning on renting for the first year or so that we're there so that we can get a feel for the various neighborhoods, the transportation network, and such before buying a house. The problem we're having is finding a place to rent at such a long distance, especially since we can't go there in advance to find a place to rent (due to not being able to take time off from current employment combined with living a 9,596-mile round-trip away). We've looked on Craigslist and the like, but most of what looks decent says it's available in June at the latest, so we figure we're not likely to have any luck with emailing someone to ask whether they'll wait 'til we're up there in late July to show us the place.

That said, does anyone have any recommendations on reputable rental agencies or brokers we could work through to get a place lined up in advance? Or are we more likely to be successful if we get a weekly hotel when we arrive and set up visits at likely places once we're there? Any other advice we might not have already thought of?

(My new job is right by the university, and I don't want to commute too far to get there--Eagle River is about as far as I'd be comfortable, and that's pushing it. Palmer and Wasilla are pretty much right out for us, despite the attractive housing prices.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 05:22 PM

218 posts, read 515,314 times
Sounds like you've pretty much doing everything you can at this point. I'm in the same boat and have come to the realization that I'm not going to find anything on Craigslist, simply because the long distance rental isn't something most people do, and I don't think I want to take the chance either. I'm planning on renting a weekly hotel room somewhere and find a place in person that first week.

One site I found that does have a lot of stuff in and around Anchorage is Obanion Relocation I think it's more geared toward military but I don't think you have to be military to rent from them. Check it out.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:31 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,088,661 times
Just realize that hotel prices in Anchorage double from May - September. expect to pay a premium, or be in a dive. You might contact a realtor. Especially since it sounds like you might be in the market for renting a house rather than an apartment. Try calling Debbie Plessinger-Robbins. She works for Remax and leases and manages primarily single family homes and townhouses. Her e-mail address is alaskarealestate@msn.com and her phone number is 907-257-0139. I cannot vouch for her services, as I didn't end up using them, but she may be able to assist you.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,660 times
hi
i am a travel nurse and i am thinkig of taking an assignment in anchorage. i doubt if i could afford to rent a house (nurses dont always make alot ya know).
is craigslist a bad idea?
is there a local newspaper i could check with?
i do hve a cat which tends to complicate things when it comes to rent.
i have been in minnesota stuck in a hotel for past 6 months, ugh.
i just need a bed a bathroom and a door with a lock lol. cats dont care where you live. any help would be great.

Last edited by blondnursey; 06-04-2009 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-04-2009, 02:55 AM

7,487 posts, read 7,963,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondnursey View Post
hi
i am a travel nurse and i am thinkig of taking an assignment in anchorage. i doubt if i could afford to rent a house (nurses dont always make alot ya know).
i just need a bed a bathroom and a door with a lock lol. cats dont care where you live. any help would be great.
The local newspaper is the Anchorage Daily News. Rentals | adn.com

Old 06-04-2009, 08:04 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,598,155 times
Quote:
hi
is craigslist a bad idea? Great idea, most rentals are listed there.
Leave the cat with someone else. It will greatly complicate your search for housing.
My wife is a nurse and just took a job with the State of Alaska as an RN in Anchorage. Nurses make good money. You can rent dorm room out at the university for $50 a night. She found a very nice one bedroom apt with all bills paid cept phone/cable for $750 month over by Jewel Lake. She couldn't have rented it if she had a pet.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:41 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,088,661 times
Quote:
hi

When are you planning to be here? That makes a big difference. The UAA option someone mentioned is only available during the summer. Summer time is also when rates are the highest.

Personally, I believe Craigslist is one of your best options. Advertising in the Anchorage Daily News is VERY expensive, so I think many landlords avoid it. As someone just said, nurses make pretty good money here, but "good money" is all relative. Why don't you tell us how much you think you can afford monthly and the period you plan to be here. Then we can probably give you more specific advice as to what your best options might be.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:08 PM

5 posts, read 10,512 times
Default Anyone know an AWESOME daycare provider in Wasilla area?

We will be visiting the Wasilla area in a few weeks (job interview, fingers crossed). I was wondering about the area, is there a lot to do for families and if so what? We are looking to rent for the first year until we decide on an area to buy. I have a 9 year old daughter and was wondering if anyone could tell me about the Wasilla school system and/or what schools are better?

How long does it stay light out in the winters and summers? Pretty much any information on the area would be helpful. I would be working in Anchorage and is the commute rally as bad as I have heard or is it that people just want to get there quick and back..I have heard a 15 min drive and that doesn't seem bad to me...gives you time to wind down from a hectic day.

The main concern I do have is finding quality before and after daycare (summer full time) for my 9 year old. I want someone that has a license and will pass a background and drug test, Non smoking and perhaps would be willling to take her overnight from time to time, as well as someone who might be able to keep her a little late (job may require this) without charging me an arm and leg. Provide meals and become part of our family (my daughter here has been with the same woman for 8 1/2 yrs and she does all this, she is great, but she won't move to AK! I asked) If in home daycare, must be open door policy. I know it seems I am asking a lot but that is what I have now, and that is the only thing that is making me not want to move; however the job pays so well and the outdoor life in AK is what I want.Any help and info will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Southern Girl...hopefully soon to be relocated to AK !!! I miss the snow! The heat is too much here! (originally from up north)
[+] Rate this post positively

Old 06-07-2009, 01:59 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,356,643 times
Hi Southern Girl,

First before you even make the trip to AK you really should do some preliminary research on the internet and with your potential employer on where you are moving to.
Your zipcode indicates you are currently living in Florida.
Have you seriously thought about the weather?
Missing snow and disliking heat isn't the same thing.
What made you focus on Wasilla as the place to move to?
Yes it is a commuter community for Anchorage but it isn't a 15 minute drive.
A basic internet search for Wasilla will tell you this is approx. 43 miles from Anchorage making it roughly a 40 minute drive, not 15.
If you are a single parent and obviously looking a job with long working/commuting hours looking
closer into Anchorage itself would make more sense.
You noted a long list of requirements for child care, nothing wrong with that, it is your child.
But you really need to check this out on the ground in AK in the area that you will eventually
move to.
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage