U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:18 AM

163 posts, read 238,771 times
Default I swear, there are more Samoans than Natives in Alaska....

what gives? I am sure a lot of them are law abiding good people. But from what I saw on my last visit to Anchorage, I was shocked. Big Samoan dudes yelling at each other like each other was deaf. And when some little old lady looked at them one of them gave her the finger while his friend started yelling at her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 05:58 AM

14,729 posts, read 23,838,369 times
Good thing I didn't see that. They'd both have apologized to the lady.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:11 AM

648 posts, read 728,563 times
And what exactly does the number of Samoans in Anchorage have to do with this situation? One could make the same statement about a White (or any other race person). There are jerks of all races, but the fact that someone does something stupid shouldn't be a reflection on everyone (or even most people) of that race. The issue is their behavior, not their race. I know you probably didn't mean anything by your statement, but it came across as kind of insensitive.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 PM

5,204 posts, read 6,567,908 times
I think more than anything they were commenting on the large number of Pacific Islanders in Anchorage. That incident just happened to catch their attention. Their numbers have been climbing in Anchorage for the last 20 years.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:24 PM

47,976 posts, read 43,453,076 times
anger management, when you leave an extremely hot place and move to 40F below it affects the mind.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:37 PM

648 posts, read 728,563 times
I still have to challenge blanket statements about Pacific Islanders. Its also hot in Arizona, but we don't make sweeping statements about everyone from Arizona when one Arizonian acts a fool. I'm not excusing these guy's behavior. I'm just saying it is unfair to indict an entire group, of people, the majority of whom are law abiding citizens, based upon it.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasusBelli View Post
what gives? I am sure a lot of them are law abiding good people. But from what I saw on my last visit to Anchorage, I was shocked. Big Samoan dudes yelling at each other like each other was deaf. And when some little old lady looked at them one of them gave her the finger while his friend started yelling at her.
This is not a blanket statement condeming anyone.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:34 AM

3,538 posts, read 4,164,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
This is not a blanket statement condeming anyone.
Oh of course not! Whatever would there be about the tone of what he wrote that would cause anyone to realize that he's a racist?

As for Somoans and Tongans, we have a fairly large number of them here in Barrow, and they are exceedingly nice folks. One couple has been coaching the Barrow High School girl's volley ball team for several years now. They win two kinds of championships, one playing ball and the for the team with the highest scholastic achievement. Some are involved in the community in other ways, such as volunteer firefighters and EMTs.

Really pleasant people.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Oh of course not! Whatever would there be about the tone of what he wrote that would cause anyone to realize that he's a racist?

As for Somoans and Tongans, we have a fairly large number of them here in Barrow, and they are exceedingly nice folks. One couple has been coaching the Barrow High School girl's volley ball team for several years now. They win two kinds of championships, one playing ball and the for the team with the highest scholastic achievement. Some are involved in the community in other ways, such as volunteer firefighters and EMTs.

Really pleasant people.
Thank goodness you don't make your living as a linguist. The OP was not making generalizations about all Samoans. Just the two that he saw. Buzz off and quit flaming the flames. You bore us.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:54 PM

3,538 posts, read 4,164,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Thank goodness you don't make your living as a linguist. The OP was not making generalizations about all Samoans. Just the two that he saw. Buzz off and quit flaming the flames. You bore us.
Linguistics is irrelevant.

My expertize is in communications. Think about that for a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage