U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:42 PM

26,355 posts, read 21,440,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
When I see those droopy drawers I am sorely tempted to give them a swift kick in the posterior and then run away hoping they will try to chase me. With their crotch around their knees they will take about two steps and fall flat on their face. Then their friends can see how "cool" they are as they spit teeth and gravel.
I don't condone wearing pants halfway down the posterior region, but what about the teenagers who have tons of piercings in their ears and other unsightly places, the persons who wear dog collars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 08:48 PM

14,334 posts, read 13,082,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't condone wearing pants halfway down the posterior region, but what about the teenagers who have tons of piercings in their ears and other unsightly places, the persons who wear dog collars?
Too bad they aren't the shock collars...

Old 07-13-2009, 12:47 AM

17,138 posts, read 10,941,951 times
Quote:
If they are into self-mutilation, well, it is their body. Who am I to tell them what they should or should not do with their own bodies? If they are doing it for the "shock-factor", it is not working with me. I think it looks stupid and I'm inclined to think less of their mental capabilities, but it is still their choice.

As to the seeming paradox of a rise in the number of gang members and a reduction in crime, the samething happened in Los Angeles. It turned out that the LAPD began identifying more and more people as gang members simply by the style or color of clothes or other articles they were wearing. It was not like they actually asked anyone if they were gang members, they just assumed based upon a certain profile they created and printed that statistic.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
If they are into self-mutilation, well, it is their body. Who am I to tell them what they should or should not do with their own bodies? If they are doing it for the "shock-factor", it is not working with me. I think it looks stupid and I'm inclined to think less of their mental capabilities, but it is still their choice.

As to the seeming paradox of a rise in the number of gang members and a reduction in crime, the samething happened in Los Angeles. It turned out that the LAPD began identifying more and more people as gang members simply by the style or color of clothes or other articles they were wearing. It was not like they actually asked anyone if they were gang members, they just assumed based upon a certain profile they created and printed that statistic.
Just by style of clothes? Doesn't surprise me one bit. Many people just emulate the style of clothing based on what they see on TV(the rap videos). I don't like the clothes, but to put a legal penalty on it isn't a good thing either.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Just by style of clothes? Doesn't surprise me one bit. Many people just emulate the style of clothing based on what they see on TV(the rap videos). I don't like the clothes, but to put a legal penalty on it isn't a good thing either.
There was no "legal penalty", the LAPD just put people into the "gang" category based upon assumptions for statistical purposes. The bigger the gang problem, the more federal funding they were able to get. I do not know if this is case with Anchorage, but it seemed similar to what Los Angeles had already done decades ago, and it would explain why "gang" numbers increase while crime declines.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
There was no "legal penalty", the LAPD just put people into the "gang" category based upon assumptions for statistical purposes. The bigger the gang problem, the more federal funding they were able to get. I do not know if this is case with Anchorage, but it seemed similar to what Los Angeles had already done decades ago, and it would explain why "gang" numbers increase while crime declines.
A few years ago Atlanta banned the wearing of saggy pants. I don't think it had any impact on the gang culture in Atlanta because the only major gang I have heard of there was LGF.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 PM

843 posts, read 754,105 times
Quote:
Lets not all forget the Rampart scandal, where it turns out various members of the LAPD were behaving as if they were gang members (in some cases they were).

Crime is everywhere, and so are criminals. There is no spot in america I would totally feel safe. Not seeing any gangs or graffiti does not say safety, it just means the crime that occurs is less predictable. Serial killers, murderers, drunk drivers, rapists, petty criminals and drug addicts are everywhere. Assuming they will all be wearing baggy clothes, live in the 'ghetto' (which must mean urban, poor, and nonwhite from the description I am seeing, because I have never seen ANY real 'ghetto' in the northwest) and speak urban slang.

Walk a few blocks east of division on sprague avenue in Spokane WA, you wont see bloods or crips and the people will be as white as snow, but if you assumed you were in a 'safe neighborhood' you would be in for a rude awakening.

Old 07-22-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tindo80 View Post
Lets not all forget the Rampart scandal, where it turns out various members of the LAPD were behaving as if they were gang members (in some cases they were).

Crime is everywhere, and so are criminals. There is no spot in america I would totally feel safe. Not seeing any gangs or graffiti does not say safety, it just means the crime that occurs is less predictable. Serial killers, murderers, drunk drivers, rapists, petty criminals and drug addicts are everywhere. Assuming they will all be wearing baggy clothes, live in the 'ghetto' (which must mean urban, poor, and nonwhite from the description I am seeing, because I have never seen ANY real 'ghetto' in the northwest) and speak urban slang.

Walk a few blocks east of division on sprague avenue in Spokane WA, you wont see bloods or crips and the people will be as white as snow, but if you assumed you were in a 'safe neighborhood' you would be in for a rude awakening.
Crime is indeed everywhere. What makes Alaska stick out is that Alaska is very remote, very far north, and gun laws are lax. Most places like that would be relatively safe, but Alaska breaks that mold.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Crime is everywhere, and so are criminals. There is no spot in america I would totally feel safe.
I feel totally safe from any gang in Alaska. As I said before, these "gang" members are nothing like the hardcore gangs in East Los Angeles, Compton, or Watts which stretch back generations. Those gangs are serious, with life-long members. What Anchorage has is a bunch of wannabe punks between the ages of 14 and 24 trying to look tough. Slap them on their hiney and they would go running back to momma. I am not impressed, or intimidated in any way by their antics. They appear to have a serious self-esteem problem, but they are no threat.

Quote:
Not seeing any gangs or graffiti does not say safety, it just means the crime that occurs is less predictable. Serial killers, murderers, drunk drivers, rapists, petty criminals and drug addicts are everywhere. Assuming they will all be wearing baggy clothes, live in the 'ghetto' (which must mean urban, poor, and nonwhite from the description I am seeing, because I have never seen ANY real 'ghetto' in the northwest) and speak urban slang.
Security is an illusion to make the self-deluded feel safe. Living a life in fear is no life at all. It is also those who worry the most that make the perfect targets for the criminals, they have "victim" written all over them.

As to there not being any ghettos in northwestern cities, I would suggest that the reason is the cities are 1) not as large; and/or 2) not as old as those cities with ghettos.

Quote:
I never make assumptions about neighborhoods I have never been in, but I can tell you that I would be safe no matter where I was. Except for maybe those three days I spent in Subac Bay.

If you treat everyone as equals and deal with them fairly, they are more than likely to return the favor. If you are not looking for trouble, trouble will most likely not find you, but if it does, deal with it, don't run from it.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Crime is indeed everywhere. What makes Alaska stick out is that Alaska is very remote, very far north, and gun laws are lax. Most places like that would be relatively safe, but Alaska breaks that mold.
Gun laws are unconstitutional in Alaska. The Alaska State Constitution recognizes the INDIVIDUAL right to own and possess a firearm, and no political subdivision of the state can infringe upon that right. Which means no village, town, or city in Alaska can enact any firearm restricting ordinance. You don't even need a permit to carry a concealed weapon (Alaska still issues CCPs for reciprocity purposes with other states, but it is not required in Alaska). Literally anyone could be carrying in Alaska. And that is precisely how it should be everywhere.

You are more likely to be mauled by a bear or trampled by a moose than bothered by any gang member in Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage