Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:10 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Gun laws are unconstitutional in Alaska. The Alaska State Constitution recognizes the INDIVIDUAL right to own and possess a firearm, and no political subdivision of the state can infringe upon that right. Which means no village, town, or city in Alaska can enact any firearm restricting ordinance. You don't even need a permit to carry a concealed weapon (Alaska still issues CCPs for reciprocity purposes with other states, but it is not required in Alaska). Literally anyone could be carrying in Alaska. And that is precisely how it should be everywhere.

You are more likely to be mauled by a bear or trampled by a moose than bothered by any gang member in Alaska.
What I was saying is that Alaska breaks the mold when it comes to states with relatively high proportions of crime. Places in northern areas where gun access is easy, those places tend to be a bit safer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
I have lived in Alaska almost as long as I lived in the Philippines. I haven't been mugged in 10 years here and I wasn't in 12 years in the Philippines. And I was a total alcoholic waste-oid when I was there.

I am of the opinion that in the Philippines, I was lucky, but here in Alaska, I live a much different life. I rarely venture to the wild side of Anchorage, and when I have, I have been sober, sane and well behaved. I haven't seen any violence, just the aftermath of some insane acts by dweebs with an attitude.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
I have lived in Alaska almost as long as I lived in the Philippines. I haven't been mugged in 10 years here and I wasn't in 12 years in the Philippines. And I was a total alcoholic waste-oid when I was there.

I am of the opinion that in the Philippines, I was lucky, but here in Alaska, I live a much different life. I rarely venture to the wild side of Anchorage, and when I have, I have been sober, sane and well behaved. I haven't seen any violence, just the aftermath of some insane acts by dweebs with an attitude.
Twelve years?!?!?! I barely survived three days. Although my memory of those three days have always been pretty fuzzy. I was 18 years old at the time and invincible.

I lived in Mountain View for three years just before I moved to the Valley and was never bothered by anyone. Of course, I could be just a statistical anomaly.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post

What is your opinion about the safety in the Philipines as far as crime goes?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:07 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
Avoid the areas the NPA and the MNLF inhabit, leave your opinions of local politics in your pocket and never wear flashy stuff. After that, everything is pretty good. But I was also young and invincible while I was there and cannot claim that I spent any appreciable amount of time sober when I was single.

I got sober after I got married and had my last drink when my first was born.

God seems to protect fools and drunks and I think I qualified on both counts.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:34 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussoNYC View Post
In researching for a potential move to Anc, i discovered that the crime rate (FBI index crimes) is higher than the national average and that the rape rate is twice the national average. i'm safer here in NYC!
Per capita numbers are deceiving. For example, add the total number of rapes being committed per year in NYC, and compare that number to the number of rapes being committed per year in Anchorage. The total number of rapes in NYC is a lot larger because NYC has a lot more inhabitants than Anchorage. The more people you have in one place, the more crime.

Now, per capita it seems that Alaska is the worst place, from fetal alcohol syndrome to rape and other sexual crimes.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:51 PM

21 posts, read 72,156 times
Glitch: please check out the tv program again
they (gang members) are sent to this "place" alaska because there is huge money in drugs/some money in prostitution. and they were sent there from L.A. (as far Crips go)
yes, most of them are polynesian. they also state where they were born, i believe, during the show.
most of them nowhere near that region

i'm talking about somewhat-organized crime (drug trafficking / trafficking of women).

of course, there are the local born&bred youngsters throwing bottles and stealing cars (or whatever).

Old 07-25-2009, 07:41 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Here are some of the gun laws in the State of Alaska.

What Are the Gun Laws in Alaska?

Old 07-26-2009, 03:47 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler5 View Post
Glitch: please check out the tv program again
they (gang members) are sent to this "place" alaska because there is huge money in drugs/some money in prostitution. and they were sent there from L.A. (as far Crips go)
yes, most of them are polynesian. they also state where they were born, i believe, during the show.
most of them nowhere near that region

i'm talking about somewhat-organized crime (drug trafficking / trafficking of women).

of course, there are the local born&bred youngsters throwing bottles and stealing cars (or whatever).
The majority of those living in Alaska originated from somewhere else. I moved to Alaska from Los Angeles in 1991. So I have no doubt that you are right about gang members from Los Angeles and elsewhere moving to Alaska. However, I serious doubt drugs is the reason. Alaska's population is simply not big enough. You could squeeze the population of the entire State of Alaska into a neighborhood in Los Angeles or New York City.

Anchorage is also a mid-way point between east and west, so there are some Asian and Pacific Islander influences in Anchorage. Just as with the lower-48ers that move to Alaska, there are the good, the bad, and the ugly that move to Alaska for a few dollars more. (I have been watching Sergio Leone movies again. )

I am sure there are many reasons why someone would move to Alaska. It is a shame they have to bring their lower-48 culture with them rather than assimulate into the Alaskan culture. The good news is that their culture typically resides in the larger cities, which limits them to just Anchorage. It may also explain why Anchorage is occassional referenced as "Los Anchorage." There are not many rural gangs that I am aware.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The majority of those living in Alaska originated from somewhere else. I moved to Alaska from Los Angeles in 1991. So I have no doubt that you are right about gang members from Los Angeles and elsewhere moving to Alaska. However, I serious doubt is the reason. Alaska's population is simply not big enough. You could squeeze the population of the entire State of Alaska into a neighborhood in Los Angeles or New York City.

Anchorage is also a mid-way point between east and west, so there are some Asian and Pacific Islander influences in Anchorage. Just as with the lower-48ers that move to Alaska, there are the good, the bad, and the ugly that move to Alaska for a few dollars more. (I have been watching Sergio Leone movies again. )

I am sure there are many reasons why someone would move to Alaska. It is a shame they have to bring their lower-48 culture with them rather than assimulate into the Alaskan culture. The good news is that their culture typically resides in the larger cities, which limits them to just Anchorage. It may also explain why Anchorage is occassional referenced as "Los Anchorage." There are not many rural gangs that I am aware.
There aren't many rural gangs, but alot of scary stuff can happen in the rural areas as for as crime goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage