U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2009, 04:08 AM

3 posts, read 4,603 times
Question Moving to anchorage questions

Hello
I am a 23 year old female who has stayed mostly in new york, d.c, boston, houston. I will like to know how is anchorage like for instance
a. Are there any nice jazz clubs? I mean I go there I here live jazz music
b. Are there any clubs that play hip-hop but yet I can go in dressed very city-sleek
c.Are there any whole foods or central market like stores?

What will be a nice area to stay at for a single girl to stay in?

Is furniture expensive there or do you think I should bring my stuff?
Truck or car, because I don't know If my camry can make it?

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 09:22 AM

3,766 posts, read 3,989,129 times
Are there any clubs that play hip-hop but yet I can go in dressed very city-sleek?

I can't help you with clubs; however, "city-sleek" is not in Alaskan vocabulary, I'm afraid.

.Are there any whole foods or central market like stores?

We have the Natural Pantry, New Sagaya at 2 locations, plus are regular grocery stores, Carrs & Fred Meyers, have health food & organic sections. There are whole food bulk bins. Even Costco is getting more & more organic foods with no transfats, etc. I eat that way & find everything I need; however, I have to go to a few stores to find everything I need.

What will be a nice area to stay at for a single girl to stay in?

There are lots of nice, safe areas in town. I am a local teacher and know lots of young single female teachers and have never heard of a problem.

Is furniture expensive there or do you think I should bring my stuff?

We have Craig's List and in the spring/summer we have some of the best yard sales I've ever seen since it's a military town and lots of people move on. Furniture in furniture stores is expensive. However, it's very expensive to move furniture up here.

Old 09-12-2009, 12:12 PM

376 posts, read 473,627 times
blujupiter84 - if you are serious about moving to Anchorage, you might want to get some moving van quotes to help you decide whether or not to move stuff up there. I had to get 3 quotes for my future employer. It isn't cheap. So, I am planning on getting rid of some of my stuff before I leave Colorado since it probably won't last another move. To weigh the differences, I figured I could find some replacement furniture there. I also see on craigslist.com and other housing web sites that some have washers and dryers, so that is one thing I will be getting rid of before I leave. If you are emotionally attached to some things, you may have to spend the money for moving them.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:37 PM

5,285 posts, read 6,839,998 times
City slick is a brand new pair of Xtra-Tuffs and some freshly washed Carhartts.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 AM

Oh wow thanks for all the info. I am moving from houston.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:16 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,398,931 times
There are some organic options, but nothing like Trader Joes or Whole Foods.

There are restaurants where you can dress in city-sleek attire, but as far as clubs, it's nothing like any of the cities you mentioned. Chilkoots is a lot of fun though!

Parts of South Anchorage are nice and safe such as Rabbit Creek.

You will be disappointed in the nightlife and restaurant selection here. You still have a choice, but it's very limited compared to Boston or San Francisco etc.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:02 AM

Jonotastic ooucch on the night life part.. lol but i needed to hear that. MEN.... I am going to miss whole foods

Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM

4,043 posts, read 5,074,692 times
People have to have somewhere to wear the clothes they buy at Nordstroms, I am pretty sure Anchorage is better than you'd think. Compared to a big city, there may not be as many choices but we still have many good options. Have you checked out any websites for Anchorage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage