Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 11:01 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,721,464 times

Advertisements

Just yet another point of view....

I'm an outdoorsy type and love Anchorage. I can hike out my back door onto city trails through woods with moose & quiet. In the winter the trails are groomed so we skate ski & track ski on groomed trails out our back door. My husband rides his bike from here on trails up to Eagle River or down to Kincaid. The trails that traverse the city go from Kincaid to Chester Creek all the way up to hillside thru bicentennial park where we have seen bears. We ice skate in the winter on West Chester Lagoon. That's all in the city.

However, the best part is that we are minutes from world-class hiking and climbing: up at Glen Alps to cilimb up O'Malley Peak, the ball park, hike back to Hidden Lake, hike to Willowaw Lakes, and many, many more. Or climb Wolverine or Ship Lake Pass. Or hike out to Rabbit Lakes to the Suicide Peaks. From the Turnagain climb Penguin Peak, Bird, hike Falls Creek and on and on. Or go up to Arctic Valley to climb Rendevous.

And in the winter we ski at Arctic Valley or Alyeska. Or snow shoe up in the Chugach.

In the summer, Anchorage has a back yard of the rest of Alaska: salmon fishing on the Kenai; sea kayaking out of Seward, Whittier or Homer; backpacking Resurrection Pass, Lost Lake Trail, etc. Or go north to Hatcher to hike the Gold Mint Trail or south to Girdwood to hike WInner Creek or Crow Pass. There are many, many forest service cabins on trailheads easy driving from Anchorage. Or drive 4-5 hours and you are backpacking or hiking in Denali.

There are a dozen hiking groups to join, biking clubs, kayak groups, sports teams, etc.

We consider Anchorage at outdoorsy dream!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_girl_3 View Post
My husband and I are seriously considering relocating from Arizona. How many days of sun are there in Anchorage? Is it really only two weeks of summer and the rest like winter? Is it mostly cloudy? Are there a lot of activities for teens?
I start backpacking the end of May & stop the beginning of September, so that is the length of our summer: June, July and August. Remember, we have lots of sunlight so we play hard during those 3 months! June is often our best month IMHO. Our summers vary so much. It fact, our weather varies from year to year. This year for example was the most beautiful September up until the autumnal equinox- lots of sun, little rain, which is unusual. Last summer was cool and cloudy. This summer was wonderful. I was able to camp & backpack for 5 weeks. The fall colors are glorious still this fall. But it is now raining hard. We should have our first snow around Halloween.

What kinds of activities does your teen like to do?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:36 PM

20 posts, read 44,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
What kinds of activities does your teen like to do?
She likes to do pretty much anything out doors...horseback riding, fishing, hunting, tanning, swimming, exercising and cooking!

She is an awesome teen and I am very lucky.

Bongo, you make ANC sound lovely!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Default trail system

One of the best tricks in Anchorage if you like the outdoors is to get a place up against the extensive trail system so you can hike out your back door.

When we first came here years ago we drove along the trail system, up Chester Creek, through Airport Heights, the university trails, down by Kincaid, etc. It took us a few years of renting until we found the right place to buy with the trails out our backdoor.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 5,325 times
From someone who lived 12 years in the Anchorage area and 8 years in Arizona I'd say that heaven would be to travel between the two, like snowbirds do.

At first the winters in Anchorage are very interesting: How bad does it get? Can I take it? But like Robert Service says, the Yukon always wins. There are not many old people in Alaska. The long periods of darkness and cold grates more the longer you are there. And just when Summer comes, it starts raining.

But, oh how I miss the salmon fishing. In Arizona we troll the San Pedro River from the back of a pickup truck, and all we catch are rock trout.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,695,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Az Girl, I have lived in Anchorage for about 20 years. I lived in Phoenix for 5 years. Before you scrap the idea of moving to Anchorage, you might want to do a little of your own research. I feel like a broken record, but I'll repeat my common post on this site. "Everything is relative!" Yes, some people think Anchorage is too big. Others think its a hick town. Some say the traffic is terrible, others laugh at the idea. You are moving from Tucson, which has a population of about a million people. Anchorage is is 1/4 that size. Our crime, traffic, etc. will be nothing compared to Tucson. Whether housing is expensive or not, once again, depends on what you're used to. I know that Phoenix was one of those areas where the real estate got to be ridiculously high. I'm not sure if Tucson was similarly affected. Anchorage on the other hand has a very stable real estate market. We have approximately 24 murders a year - half of what Tuscon has had this year. Yes, some people call Anchorage Los Anchorage, but it is a reference to the fact that crime is on the rise here - like it is everywhere. It is not an indication that Anchorage has any more problem with crime than any other city its size.

Anchorage has done a good job in preserving its "smaller town" feel. There are lots of greenbelts throughout town. We have an extensive bike trail system. People are friendly. The scenery is breathtaking - even from within the city. Within minutes (literally) you can be out of the city. Many residents spend the summer traveling to the Kenai Peninsula, which is about 2.5 hours south of Anchorage. Having lived or traveled in all 50 states, I will unequivcably (sp) tell you that on a sunny day, the drive there is the most beautiful drive in all America. The Kenai Peninsula is a mecca for outdoor activities. Unlike Juneau, you are actually accessible by car to a fair amount of Alaska. Also, the weather is drastically different. Juneau is noted for its rainy climate.

I would feel safe living almost anywhere in Anchorage. There are certainly some areas that are more desirable than others, but it generally has to do with the socioeconomic make-up of the neighborhood than it does safety.

I'm rambling, but I just wanted to encoruage you to check things out for yourself, and not be dissuaded (or persuaded) by one person's experience, which may be valid, but may not necessarily match your own experiences.

I agree. When I first moved here my posts were pretty jaded too. I came from small towns in Montana followed by 13 years in the Interior of Alaska (fairbanks and delta junction) so to me Anchorage was like the armpit of Alaska. I was not a happy girl for a the first 3 months.

I have lived here for a year and while it is not "My" idea of the perfect place to live it is very acceptable and I like it here.

I would not rely on just one persons view (especially one that has admitted to not living here for very long) to make your decision.

While Alaska in general is not for everyone it is Heaven for a lot of folks. Take your time.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:50 AM

Default southwest

Chad.... the dark of the winters & his poor circulation with cold feet & hands bike riding & skiing has my husband looking forward to retirement on our home on 8 acres in the southwest in New Mexico. It's a bit hard for this native New Mexican to retire here.

I certainly miss the green chile roasters in the parking lots of New Mexico! But when we get back to New Mexico I will miss our 12 years of a freezer full of Russian River reds. Can't have it all, can we?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:53 AM

1,923 posts, read 4,695,429 times
What are you looking for in a town?
what type of work to you and/or your husband do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage