Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:09 AM

376 posts, read 828,597 times

Advertisements

JD2AKK&ME - I talked with some family that live in various places in Colorado. They all told me the same thing and that it melted faster than it came down! I have family that live in Windsor. They used to live in Loveland. Loveland is growing a lot. Heck, everything has grown along I-25 as well as the traffic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 01:08 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,691,205 times
okay so it is NOVEMBER 6th and there is still no snow in most of Anchorage. What's up with that?
I'm leery of the years like this when we have no now and then it gets cold. Frozen pipes and all that crap. Ugh......

Last edited by roadfamily6now; 11-06-2009 at 01:37 PM..

Old 11-06-2009, 04:02 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,839,257 times
I used to have a friend in Anchorage when I lived here in the 1980's who said the first snow usually fell around his birthday, which was November 10th. I've talked to people about that now and they told me that for the last several years snow has been falling earlier and earlier in the season, usually before Halloween. I sure don't like frozen pipes but it was nice to have a snowless trick or treating night.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:14 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,957,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
okay so it is NOVEMBER 6th and there is still no snow in most of Anchorage. What's up with that?
I'm leery of the years like this when we have no now and then it gets cold. Frozen pipes and all that crap. Ugh......
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I used to have a friend in Anchorage when I lived here in the 1980's who said the first snow usually fell around his birthday, which was November 10th. I've talked to people about that now and they told me that for the last several years snow has been falling earlier and earlier in the season, usually before Halloween. I sure don't like frozen pipes but it was nice to have a snowless trick or treating night.
They mentioned on the news last night that the latest date for measurable snowfall in Anchorage (defined as at least 1/10th inch at the official recording station) was November 13th, back in 2002.

National Weather Service, Anchorage Forecast Office (http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/climate/climPage.php?pId=snow - broken link)

Just going off memory, I think last year was October 12th, and the year before that was October 7th. Supposedly the "average" date of first snowfall is October 15.

http://www.absn.com/files/EEM-01356%...ge%20Solar.pdf

Old 11-06-2009, 04:55 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,088,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Just going off memory, I think last year was October 12th, and the year before that was October 7th. Supposedly the "average" date of first snowfall is October 15.
Anyone remember the Cliff Claven character from the old Cheers episodes? i think he retired and moved to Alaska - lives on the Upper Hillside from what I hear So that's just "going off memory" huh Moose? I'd hate to see what you do when you write stuff down.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:57 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,088,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I actually think the snow is coming later now than it used to. Back in the late 80's/early 90's snow used to seem to get here around mid October - always by Halloween. Alyeska was always open by Thanksgiving. Now, you can never tell. Snow seems to come later and later.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:06 PM

4,988 posts, read 9,957,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Anyone remember the Cliff Claven character from the old Cheers episodes? i think he retired and moved to Alaska - lives on the Upper Hillside from what I hear So that's just "going off memory" huh Moose? I'd hate to see what you do when you write stuff down.
LOL. I had to look that up, but it is funny, especially considering I can sometimes spend half an hour scouring the house just trying to remember where I set my glasses down (only to sometimes find them in my pocket).

I just happen to know those dates because I always make it a point to go out and take pictures of the first snowfall.

BTW, I do like Ratzenberger’s “Made in America” show though!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 PM

376 posts, read 828,597 times
Someone from work mentioned to me that 1996 was a year there was very little snow. That was interesting!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,691,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL551 View Post
Someone from work mentioned to me that 1996 was a year there was very little snow. That was interesting!
1996 was also the year we had -73 in Delta Junction! Yeah, FREAKEN COLD!

Old 11-07-2009, 11:51 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,714,938 times
Waaaaaaah!!!

I want to get out my skate skis!

It snowed last night but you can barely even see it, the slightest dusting....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage