Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 15,852 times

Advertisements

I plan to visit Anchorage for a couple of weeks some time in September, when there are not so many tourists there. Do hotels reduce their prices at that time? What is the weather like, does it rain often? Also, is it possible to find a temporary job not connected with tourist business/season?

I know, I can get the information on sites, but I prefer to hear it from those who live there. I will appreciate your help with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2006, 06:03 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,471 times
Default Anchorage

We don't live there, but we did the same thing you are doing except a part time job.

Yes it rained quite a bit while we there, we discovered early on down in Juneau that Arizona rain gear would not cut the mustard. We located a outfitter store and purchased quality rain gear and continued our visit in comfort. So be prepared.

We jumped on the last Alaska Marine Ferry heading north from Washington state. The pilot gave us a real tour of the inside passage way as we had a minimal amount of people on board.

We ended up In Seward on the Kenai Penninsula rented a vehicle and drove into Soldotna where we had a bed and breakfast place as our base camp. We did drift boat fishing on the Kasilof river Halibut fishing out of Homer plus hiked into the russian river falls.

Our next stop was up to Eagle river just north of Anchorage stayed there and then brached out to see the muskox and reindeer farms. We also visited the big game alaska park.

The rates were much cheaper at that time of year. Some facilities were even shut down like the Marine park in Seward.
It was a very good experience with out the crowds!!!!

Old 07-22-2006, 03:24 PM

Thanks, rambrush.
I'd like to spend most of the time in Anchorage, and visit some places around. Not sure what is better, to buy a tour at home or travel on my own and buy local tours in Anchorage. I would prefer to have a guide rather than drive myself. Still hesitating.

Old 07-23-2006, 07:59 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,471 times
Default Anchorage

I would suggest purchasing the Milepost book and it will show you everything to see and where they are located.

We researched prior to heading North and did all of our own travel plans.

So as for a guided tour I will not be able to assist with that, but my own opinion if you want to really see the area do it on your own. Take your time and enjoy the day.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:23 AM

Default Russian community

Does anybody know any sites or information about Russian community in Anchorage? I fail to find it at search engines. Thank you for your help.

Old 09-09-2006, 04:18 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
I live on the Kenai Peninsula south of Anchorage. There are a few Russian Villages on the peninsula. I can't imagine there being any of them living in Anchorage. But anything is possible. If you do get out of Anchorage I'd suggest going south. All the way to Seward or Homer. In the fall the scenery will be awesome, and the traffic will be way down. You can always contact me if you need any help or suggestions. Hope you have a great trip.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,793 times
Default hello

I don't actually live in Anchorage but in answer to your question, yes, the prices do get reduced but I don't know exactly when that happens. This is the rainy season but it's not as bad as Sitka. I live in the Rural area of Alaska but I do have a boyfriend that lives in Anchorage. I was reviewing our village information and correcting some information and found this forum. I saw your question. I just had to reply.

Old 09-29-2006, 01:30 AM

68 posts, read 355,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveAlaska View Post
Does anybody know any sites or information about Russian community in Anchorage? I fail to find it at search engines. Thank you for your help.
there is a place called eklutna village, where i stopped to see an old russian cemetary...it is on the way to denali national park from anchorage...maybe this will help..

Old 12-09-2006, 06:49 AM

Thumbs up I loved it!

Thanks to all who answered me!

I did not look into this site for a long time, that's why did not answer you earlier.

I changed my plans and went to Anchorage in mid October, came back in early November. As you know, the weather was just fine for this season, no rains, sunny, it started snowing only in end October. I was happy to see Anchorage both in fall and winter seasons

A very interesting and useful trip. I liked the city, the nature, the people. Was feeling absolutely at home, had a lot of interesting talks. BTW, about 10 thousand Russians live in Anchorage...It was very pleasant to see that the Russian part of the history of Alaska is kept in the memory, and even "matryoshka" dolls, a Russian national souvenir, is sold there as Alaskan souvenir A lot of houses look like houses near Moscow.

I liked it there so much, that would love to find a job and move there for some time! But it's almost next to impossible to get a work permit
But I am in search....

Old 12-10-2006, 01:09 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
Are you coming from Russia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage