Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:14 PM

87 posts, read 142,999 times

Advertisements

I currently live in AR and my Alaskan native girlfriend has been asking my opinion of moving to AK-specifically Anchorage. While we both love to travel, my only reservation is that I won't be able to land a job before we move which is a big concern for me. She on the other hand, will have a good job waiting for her. Is it difficult to find a permanent decent job/career at an entry level? I have years of customer service experience and a year at a service center for a large medical distributor. I also have an Associates Degree. Does anyone have an idea of where to start a job search that could likely develop into a job offer before we leave for AK? I can submit a resume if it would help with advice. I'm not a big fan of working at a local food joint to barely cover the bills, but I'm certainly not looking for graduate level salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 01:20 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
Alaska Job Center Network and craigslist: anchorage / mat-su classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Old 02-03-2010, 02:06 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
Careers at GCI

GCI frequently has entry level customer service jobs, but realistically to get a job offer before you move is unlikely since there are many people in Anchorage qualified for the jobs and employers are very unlikely to need to hire someone long distance, or have the time to wait for the position to be filled.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Well, that really puts kinks in moving. Really scarey moving with no promise of unemployment. Especially, when you consider it could take a few months from submitting your application to getting that first check. I understand the importance of having a savings account but I'd hate to drain it just looking for a job. At least I know we know one of us is covered and we will have adequate housing for at least a few months for cheap. I'm wary of job offers on craigslist. I've never had a positive result with employment via craigslist here.

Anyone familiar with the Cardinal Health Distribution Center in Anchorage? I understand it's off Ramar Rd. I have no idea how many employees work there but I'd love to get sone info about how many employees work there and their turnover rate without calling them myself and jeopordize my chance of being transferred there and working for the same company.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
McDonald's, Burger King, Taco Bell and others all have entry level positions and to me they hire just about anyone...

Old 02-03-2010, 04:51 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,021,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
and to me they hire just about anyone...
I think Anchorage School Bus drivers have similar hiring standards.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:51 PM

Thanks warptman, but I'd like to avoid fast foods joints if at all possible. I understand that I'd need to start at entry level, but I'd rather stay put than start at Taco Bell. I appreciate the input guys!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:06 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
There are jobs to be found up here. Look in the Newspaper, employers up here don't use Monster that much. You can always go into sales as long as you have an outgoing personality, shouldn't be a problem with your Customer Service background. If you just want a ho hum corporate job there are several retailers up here as mentioned. Johnson's Tire Service will be hiring before spring due to the busy tire switch season. Doesn't sound like you have the best job right now so you wouldn't have much to lose.
If I were you I would be much more concerned with the culture shock you will have moving from AZ to AK. They are very different from one another.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:21 AM

I don't know that it will make a difference, but I am 25 years old.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:58 AM

73 posts, read 284,874 times
Costco/Sam's Club is also a place that is normally hiring and they have good pay. My brother worked there for $13 an hour and he pushed carts.....you could always get a job like that for a little while until you were able to find something better. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage