Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2007, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 18,146 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a massage therapist and instructor in Little Rock, Ar. I recently applied for a position at Career Academy in Anchorage as a massage therapy instructor. So, I have been checking out websites on Anchorage. I've been fairly encouraged so far, but was just looking for further input. I have a transgendered roommate (male to female), and was wondering what the climate is like up there for her... we both just want a change and I've always been drawn to the Pacific Northwest. Any opinions?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 10:15 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,819,676 times
The sun shines, it rains, it snows, we get hail and lightning. We get fall colors. It's a very good climate in southcentral. It not humid summer or winter so the weather is tolerable.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:21 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,487,117 times
Default banana belt

Compared to the interior cities like Fairbanks, Anchorage is considered the "banana belt" of Alaska. Its rare to have temps colder than negative 20 degrees F. or so and even then its not for months on end, more like a week or two. Humidity in summer isn't bad at all, and it rarely gets above the mid '80's temp. wise.

For many people a bigger factor than the cold is the darkness during the winter. On a clear day in the middle of winter you'll only see the sun above the horizon for about 5 hrs, 20 minutes or so, and there aren't many clear days. Its drive to work in the dark, maybe a bit of sun for lunch, drive home in the dark, repeat all winter. Some people just can't take it.

Old 06-03-2007, 05:15 AM

Default thanks

Thanks so much, y'all. I've been reading the postings for several days and think I can handle the weather and light/no light thing. So does my roommate, Taylor. As llong as I can practice massage and teach the art of it, I think I could live anywhere. Now, it's down to dealing with logistics of it all. IF they make the offer AND I choose to accept, AND I can sell my house here, I'll be on my way. I have a friend living in Eagle River(husband is military), and I've written her to get her input as well. I can't believe I'm even considering this so seriously, but the school seems quite interested. They got back to me in one day, and have contacted me twice since...so, we'll see!
Tonya

Old 06-03-2007, 08:04 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,152,737 times
Default Curious..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana67 View Post
I have a transgendered roommate (male to female), and was wondering what the climate is like up there for her...
Thanks.
What in heaven's name does the climate have to do with your transgendered roommate?? I don't see the point of you having mentioned this. As they say... Too Much Information.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:23 AM

Default "climate", not weather...

I meant "climate", as in, will she be accepted, etc. I live in the SOUTH, where "different" is not necessarily accepted. At times, it can prove to be difficult. Sorry, didn't mean to offend, I just wondered. I've been reading about how conservative it can be up there, but also, that there is a "live and let live" mentality. Was only trying to get a feel for things...

Old 06-03-2007, 08:45 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,226,380 times
Most folks up here don't care one way or the other. Alaska folks have a laissez-faire kind of outlook. It's all pretty much live and let live. More neighborly and all that. We (and yes, I'm proud to say "we") tend to take folks as they present themselves. Obsessions, quirks, faults - they're so common up here that people without any are kind of atrange in and, of themselves. As the saying goes, come on in, the water's fine. Just a might dark and chilly.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:40 AM

Default thanks..

Thanks, that's nice to hear. I really do want this to work out, it seems. Who'd a thunk? But everyone on this forum is so nice and helpful, it makes it exciting to think about. I can handle (and would probably welcome, at least somewhat) the dark and chilly aspects for a change. It's already getting hot down here and it's only June!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage