Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:19 PM

6 posts, read 14,036 times

Advertisements

I will be moving up from the East coast this summer and have a few questions about apartments. I'll pay for what I need rent-wise. I'm not looking for a place with a heated pool and concierge service but I won't neighbor with crackheads to save a few dimes either. Unfortunately, having never been to Anchorage, I'm in the dark about the good, the bad, and the frilly parts of the city. So without further adieu...

I've heard mixed reviews about the Russian Jack apartments. The bad has outweighed the good and I'd like to know why. What makes that area avoidable?

McKinley Tower. I've heard nothing about this place. Looking at Google Earth, it looks like there's some hotels around and is close to downtown.
What's the word on the McKinley Tower?

Terrace on the Lake. Other than high utilities since everything is electric, I haven't heard much about it. Any news?

Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:29 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks View Post
I will be moving up from the East coast this summer and have a few questions about apartments. I'll pay for what I need rent-wise. I'm not looking for a place with a heated pool and concierge service but I won't neighbor with crackheads to save a few dimes either. Unfortunately, having never been to Anchorage, I'm in the dark about the good, the bad, and the frilly parts of the city. So without further adieu...

I've heard mixed reviews about the Russian Jack apartments. The bad has outweighed the good and I'd like to know why. What makes that area avoidable?

McKinley Tower. I've heard nothing about this place. Looking at Google Earth, it looks like there's some hotels around and is close to downtown.
What's the word on the McKinley Tower?

Terrace on the Lake. Other than high utilities since everything is electric, I haven't heard much about it. Any news?

Any help is appreciated.
Russian Jack is a pretty scary looking neighborhood at night, there are many homeless people living in the woods over there, who knows what else.

McKinley Tower sounds cool, but it is located close to a shelter, don't know what affect that has on it...I believe that building was remodeled and refurbished after the earthquake of '64.... for a while it was an assisted living place. Seems a bit overpriced but what a view!

I have heard Terrace on the Lake is nice by the one person I knew who lived there.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:39 AM

Thanks for the response. I've worked in an area similar to what you're describing with the Russian Jack neighborhood. During the light hours, it wasn't terribly bad, but the streets walked at night. I parked in a barbed wired parking lot and still had my valve stem caps stolen. That place was good for work and that's about it.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for apartment living in Anchorage?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:24 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
www.weidner.com
3321 Eureka Street
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907) 561-8691

Weidner has about 6 complexes in Anchorage. I stayed at the Continental ($925./month) for a 1 bdrm for six months. They fixed things quickly and kept the place clean, no crime problems to speak of and in Midtown. Everyone who was living there was employed.

There are nicer places but the rents are up there.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,748,965 times
Hammocks, will you be working? In what area of town will you be working?

Do you want to be near recreational trails for skiing, biking, walking?

If money is no issue, certainly don't go with Russian Jack Apts. Reka Drive is not a desirable location. You can do better than that.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:46 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Look I'm sorry, Russian Jack is really not that bad of an area. Its near the Glenn which will get you to downtown in a Hurry and Northern Lights is right there for midtown. Sure, its not the most desirable place to live, but rent is not bad and you will be safe. You are not going to get robbed, stabbed or anything like that. Yes, your vehicle may get rummaged through if you leave the door unlocked or if you have a system it might get stolen. But your car is not going to get stolen. With all of that said, if its not by your work....you may want to look at another location. Best deals on rent will be found in Craigslist. Weidner can be pretty awful and unfair in my opinion.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:08 PM

I've definitely cut Russian Jack out. I'm no stranger to city life and non-violent cime is still crime. That'll ruin anybody's day.

What's awful and unfair about Weidner? They're properties seem like the best option so far.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 PM

About Weidner.

I did not have any problems that were not pretty quickly taken care of. They actually have dozens of communities here in Alaska. To be on the beam you could arrive and stay locally at a daily place (from extended stay to marriott residence inn and there is also a hostel in town) and see them all in 2 to 3 days.

I did not have issues with their fees or costs and David who manages Continental is an ok guy. if you want to avoid any issues rent below 32nd Street and southward IMO. Depends on what you are used to I guess. Get up here and take a good look around. If you have a gov't ID Marriott will give you a discount.

Managers are flexible. If you have the $ they have the time. good luck.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:04 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,880,776 times
Check out their name online, they have been sued for charging people for water use that isn't metered, withholding deposits, charging for things on move-outs that are not permissable, etc...not doing repairs. What are you looking for, a one BR? Do you have a neighborhood in mind or a price range? Kids or pets?

Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Check out their name online, they have been sued for charging people for water use that isn't metered, withholding deposits, charging for things on move-outs that are not permissable, etc...not doing repairs. What are you looking for, a one BR? Do you have a neighborhood in mind or a price range? Kids or pets?
I saw that before I moved in also and it's always a good idea to ask about it. All I can say is that I had no hint of issues like that.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage