Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:10 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
This sums it up.

I grew up in Eastern Washington and only remember one winter that got very cold for the area and it was -10. Anchorage gets below zero every winter but not usually any colder then -10 and rarely -20 or colder.

The real issue is the winters seem to drag on forever and then breakup starts, the sun shines, birds sing, bears crawl out of their dens. Life is good.

This site gives historical temperatures.
National Weather Service, Alaska Region Headquarters, AK
Yep, and right about the time people start taking their winter tires off...it snows again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 12:11 PM

8 posts, read 12,516 times
The winters here don't seem long at all to me. I've only been here a few years but the winters only seem to be about 3 months. Summer seems to last a lot longer than winter.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:33 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,713,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain99 View Post
The winters here don't seem long at all to me. I've only been here a few years but the winters only seem to be about 3 months. Summer seems to last a lot longer than winter.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:53 AM

107 posts, read 227,090 times
Quote:
Starts snowing in mid october(sometimes earlier).. Doesn't melt until mid april (sometimes later).
oct - april = 6 months
That's 6 months.

If you were here last year it started snowing in september, and we had a 2 foot dump in mid april that lingered into may.. That's 8 months!

Old 03-28-2010, 05:26 AM

8 posts, read 12,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarrazz View Post
Starts snowing in mid october(sometimes earlier).. Doesn't melt until mid april (sometimes later).
oct - april = 6 months
That's 6 months.

If you were here last year it started snowing in september, and we had a 2 foot dump in mid april that lingered into may.. That's 8 months!
Well I guess it's what you consider winter (since were obviously not going by the official seasons anyway.)

Like right now in Anchorage winter has been over to me. 40 degrees? I don't call that winter, not even close. December, January, and Feburary are the only months I might consider winter this year, and Feburary is even stretching it as it was so warm.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:52 AM

oh, see, I'm thinking SNOW = WINTER therefore I agree with Razzz more.

I do enjoy a good 40 sunny day in March and watching that snow melt but until I see my grass it is not summer.

So Cap., what do you call the other months, those between your winter and summer?
When we lived in the Interior, we called the "spring" Breakup. I dont here that term much here in Anchorage.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:04 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
oh, see, I'm thinking SNOW = WINTER therefore I agree with Razzz more..
It's been snowing all weekend up here on the hillside, so therefore it's still winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
When we lived in the Interior, we called the "spring" Breakup. I dont here that term much here in Anchorage.
I call it breakup. It's what happens to my dental work as I drive through the parking lot at Freddy's!

Old 03-28-2010, 04:00 PM

107 posts, read 227,090 times
Quote:
Well I guess it's what you consider winter (since were obviously not going by the official seasons anyway.)

Like right now in Anchorage winter has been over to me. 40 degrees? I don't call that winter, not even close. December, January, and Feburary are the only months I might consider winter this year, and Feburary is even stretching it as it was so warm.
If temp is your issue.. You obviously weren't paying much attention this year in November.. Do you not remember we had a 3 week stretch in november with temps down towards 15 and more below?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:14 PM

376 posts, read 831,873 times
I have to say that this has been my first winter in Anchorage. It has been about the same to me as it was in the mountains of Colorado except a lot less daylight. I think it was colder in the villages I flew too than it was in Anchorage!

Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 PM

LOL, the coldest day I can recall this past winter was -12F at my house at 7:30am. That IS NOT cold after 13 years in the Interior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
View detailed profiles of: