Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 AM

1,938 posts, read 7,125,173 times

Advertisements

Tell me your opinion of Mears Middle please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:43 PM

Anyone? I have been asked to interview there so I would like some opinions. I would prefer elementary or high school to be honest but thought would check this middle school out.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 PM

376 posts, read 832,158 times
Sorry, I don't have kids in school so I can't help you. Maybe someone will read this message within the next few days and give you an answer. I will talk to a few of my friends that have children in school and see if they have any opinions.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:39 PM

45 posts, read 142,332 times
You were asked to interview there? That's unusual, did you apply? And for what type of position? Are you certified?

Sorry for all the questions but in over a decade of working with school districts I've never heard of someone who prefers elementary or high and then be asked for middle.

What little I can tell you is: Anchorage School District is great, all the schools are good. You'll like it

Old 06-06-2010, 08:13 PM

28 posts, read 91,984 times
Hi

I do not know much about Mears. I do agree that ASD is a great district but they are a little behind in the Special Ed department. My advice to you is that if your heart is set on elementary/high school, do not settle on the first job interview or job offer if it is in middle school. Don't do it just to get up here. Follow your heart. I made that mistake a year ago. I was more interested in elementary school, but a position came up in a middle school. I took it and literally spent the last year in complete frusturation. I still have nightmares about the school and school ended about 3 weeks ago. Think long and hard about what areas you want to teach in and figure out what areas to avoid.

Follow your heart and do what you feel is comfortable but don't settle on the first job/interview that you are offered. This district is still rearranging current teachers who requested a transfer. More jobs should be opening up soon. Also, it might be a good idea to talk to the union and get more information about schools.

Good luck

Old 06-07-2010, 04:35 AM

I didn't specify on my application. When you are sped you can do all grades. So its typically first come first serve. I was approved to move foward with principal interviewing and this is the first school to hit me up. I am not too worried about getting a job- I am working on my BCBA, I specialize with working with those on the autism spectrum, I have 2 masters degrees in education, and RTI is drummed in my head (DATA!).

Yea I have learned that George. Boy have I!

Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM

28 posts, read 91,984 times
Hi

RTI is not practiced in alot of the schools. I have done extensive research on RTI and was involved in it. I love it and it is the way to go to prevent overidentification of SLD students. I wished that ASD schools used that more.

When you are in sped, you can do any and all grades. Follow your heart.

Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 PM

Where is Mountain View? Is this nearby this school?

Old 06-07-2010, 12:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,752,166 times
Have you looked at the report card for Mears, which is a good place to glean general info:
http://www.asdk12.org/depts/assess_e...reportcard.pdf

One plus of Mears is location in south Anchorage, a great place to live. I have friends whose children did fine at Mears.

RTI has been implemented in the elementary schools, which was the district's initial focus for RTI.

Staffing for transfers took place before school closed. Unfortunately, hiring can be slow over the summer as schools wait to see how the student numbers pan out in the fall. Most elementary schools have closed their doors.

When I moved here 12 years ago for a teaching position, I had to sweat the whole summer & wasn't hired until a couple of days before the start of school. The elementary schools were basically shut down for the summer.

You have a shoe-in with your SpEd credentials- hopefully someone will want to grab you this spring!

Mears is in southwest Anchorage; however, Mt. View is the opposite quadrant of town, northeast Anchorage. Why Mt. View?

Best of luck to you, froggincolo.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:37 PM

Someone mentioned stay clear of Mt. View and wanted to know why. I guessed why but wanted clarification. Its the same old story- low socio-econ. I prefer that over poor administration though.
Thanks for the well wishes. I appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Anchorage