Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 04:11 PM

12 posts, read 57,904 times

Advertisements

I think that Ann Arbor is not a part of Metro Detroit. In fact, what makes Ann Arbor so successful is the University of Michigan and the healthcare, which are not Detroit-related, making it definitely independent. Ann Arbor certainly has a whole different atmosphere than Detroit, considering that it is a thriving college town.

The definition of a suburb is "a district lying immediately outside of a city or town, especially a smaller residential community". (Source: Suburb | Define Suburb at Dictionary.com)

To break this down, Ann Arbor does not lie immediately outside of Detroit. Suburbs also tend to be completely residential and contain little to no major corporations. Ann Arbor is definitely not made up of just residential areas, as the downtown business district and the University make up a great deal of the city. Ann Arbor is also not "small"; its population is 114,024 which makes it a decent sized city.

So basically, I would argue that Ann Arbor is not a part of the Detroit Metro Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 01:23 PM

50 posts, read 140,186 times
damn, this is an interesting topic. lol

i agree that Ann Arbor stands alone; however, it is one of metro detroit's college towns, but AA can go both ways i suppose.

however ypsi is definetely a detroit suburb(town, city, whatever). like i said before, ypsi rests on BOTH Washtenaw and Wayne counties(i.e. Willow Run Airport, and where Ypsi turns into Canton).

Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 PM

358 posts, read 1,057,503 times
When you drive from downtown Detroit west on Michigan Avenue, it is pretty much built up until you get past Saline. It is all part of the same urban area, so I would say Ann Arbor is part of Detroit.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:29 AM

179 posts, read 271,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypsi the Clown View Post
however ypsi is definetely a detroit suburb(town, city, whatever). like i said before, ypsi rests on BOTH Washtenaw and Wayne counties(i.e. Willow Run Airport, and where Ypsi turns into Canton).
Ypsilanti (city and township) rests completely in Washtenaw County. Ypsilanti is more connected culturally with Belleville and Romulus than with Detroit. If Ann Arbor isn't a suburb of Detroit and stands alone, the same can be said of Ypsilanti.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:38 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,408,450 times
Part of Detroit proper? no
Part of Detroit area? yes

Old 02-17-2012, 12:53 PM

to flip the subject a little bit, even though Romeo and Armada are in the tri county area, wouldnt u think they would be grouped with the Flint area rather than Detroit area being that Flint is less the 30 minutes away from those towns; however, they are damn near an hour away from Detroit??

Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Rollin up in my dixie cup!! Lol

Old 04-06-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr83 View Post
Ypsilanti (city and township) rests completely in Washtenaw County. Ypsilanti is more connected culturally with Belleville and Romulus than with Detroit. If Ann Arbor isn't a suburb of Detroit and stands alone, the same can be said of Ypsilanti.

not true, Willow Run(which is part of YPSI only) is on both Wayne AND Washtenaw. Same applies to areas such as the Ridge Rd, Geddes Rd, and Denton Rd areas

Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM

17 posts, read 27,152 times
By the numbers Ann Arbor is part of the Detroit Metro Area. Ann Arbor uses DTW. Generally speaking a suburb is defined loosely by statisticians as any town/city that is within 40 miles of contiguous uninterrupted corridor communities. There isn't anyplace on I-94 the presents a serious enough metropolitan interruption. Perfect example Dutchess County, NY is 1 1/2 hours away from NYC, but is got the Metro Train and it's part of the NY Metro Area. When a large city is in close proximity with an area it generally becomes the ----- Metro Area.

Ann Arbor is unique in so many ways, it's NYC/Berkeley in the Mid-West. I love living here and I'm from NYC. I set pretty high expectations for places. However, having a "unique identity" or income base doesn't divorce you from the area you are in.

I think most people just don't want to associated with the stigma of Detroit, but that's unfair.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,543,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypsi the Clown View Post
to flip the subject a little bit, even though Romeo and Armada are in the tri county area, wouldnt u think they would be grouped with the Flint area rather than Detroit area being that Flint is less the 30 minutes away from those towns; however, they are damn near an hour away from Detroit??
That is true.

I took a little road trip out that way. I took Highway 24 from Pontiac to Flint and I was actually surprised at how close Flint was. Grand Blanc was where I lost some of Detroit's radio stations and started hearing "Mid-Michigan".

I passed through Almont on the way back and it didn't feel like Metro Detroit, but on the map, the Ford Proving Grounds are too far from there. Even Romeo didn't really feel like a suburb of Detroit even though sprawl is almost to the point of being contiguous within the area.

It wasn't really until I got to 29 Mile road on the Van Dyke Freeway that I started to see the rapid sprawl-like home construction and huge strip malls that made it feel like I was on the edges of a big metro.

I even drove to Grosse Isle and it felt worlds away from Detroit. Grosse Isle is actually closer to Monroe than it is to Downtown Detroit. And then Monroe is actually closer to Detroit than Ann Arbor is to Detroit! (By like 2 or 3 miles).

It's a weird little region, but I could definitely see each area sprawling to the point that all areas mentioned would becoming contiguous with Metro Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor