U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM

7 posts, read 18,287 times

Advertisements

I'd recommend Ann Arbor, mostly because of the quality of living. If you like city living, downtown would be great (and there's great proximity to the U of M medical facilities). There's quite an array of things to do (art fairs, shopping, sporting events, concerts, etc.). However, downtown Ann Arbor is more expensive than Ypsilanti.

If you like more of a suburban feel than I'd say Pittsfield Township or Saline. Pittsfield Township is part of Ann Arbor, and the kids that live there go to Ann Arbor Schools. However, it is more family-friendly subdivisions with newer homes that are probably around half the price of similar homes downtown. Pittsfield Township is just around 8 minutes away from downtown Ann Arbor.

If you like a country feeling, than I'd say Saline or Dexter. They're small towns that are around 15 minutes from Ann Arbor and have good school systems and are very family friendly. You can get a house with a larger piece of land in those towns.

About the tornadoes, well, the Ann Arbor area does get some tornadoes, though not like Kansas or Texas. Each year there are usually a few small tornadoes around Ann Arbor. Most of the time they don't hit houses, but when they do, they usually just damage a roof or uproot trees. The sirens will go off around 5 times a year because of a funnel cloud or rotation. However, once every 10-20 years they'll be that good sized, damaging the tornado that'll hit the area. As long as you're not living in a mobile home you should be fine.

Hope this helps!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 10:14 AM

50 posts, read 129,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyloup View Post
Does the OP have kids? If so, stay away from Ypsi school district. Anywhere in AA is more expensive than many of the other towns, like Dexter and Saline. AA does have a lot of racial diversity. I live in Saline, and there is NO racial diversity here. White, white, white. Good schools though. And very safe, small town America. Very family friendly. Parts of Pittsfield township, Lodi township and Scio township all fall into Saline schools. I live in Lodi Township and the taxes are very low, about half of what you pay for Pittsfield. Of course, you get what you pay for... you have to pay for private garbage pickup, they pave the roads with tar and chip, and you have to call Washtenaw County Sheriff if you need the cops. And wait 25 minutes for them to get all the way out here

Anyway, I used to ride my bike to UM medical center when I was a grad student. Took me 25 minutes. You can drive it in about 15. So, you've got a lot of options.
way to be a racist

Old 08-04-2011, 10:34 AM

5 posts, read 16,698 times
Honestly I live in Ypsi and there are significant differences between the neighborhoods. The entire Clubview Area is very nice. (which is around the country club) I live in an area around depot town and it's beautiful, but it does have ALOT of students. Anything along the Ypsi/Arbor border (Golfside) is nice, but I do agree with the comment on the school systems. If you have kids you will want them in AA schools vs. Ypsilanti schools. My daughter got in on school of choice, but AA does a lottery for it so not all kids get in. Belleville is gorgeous if you get in the right area, but there is a lot of trailer parks... Dexter is very nice. Saline is predominately white and I've worked with a few people who say that the racism is crazy. But all in all there are bad neighborhoods in AnnArbor too, but Pittsfield Township is a HUGE winner, great people, great schools, beautiful area. Almost all neighborhoods have a good mix of black/white/asian/middle eastern.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,239 times
What about the area around E Michigan Ave and S Ford Blvd? (Specifically, we are looking at renting at 204 South Harris Road, Ypsilanti, MI). Is this area 'safe'?

Old 08-08-2011, 08:56 AM

5 posts, read 16,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68709023090 View Post
What about the area around E Michigan Ave and S Ford Blvd? (Specifically, we are looking at renting at 204 South Harris Road, Ypsilanti, MI). Is this area 'safe'?
NO!! LOL! My best friend lives a little further down Harris on Harris and Russell in the anderson villas and that area has always been questionable, I guess everyones definition of "bad" is different. There will be people walking around at 3am. Your next door neighbor may sell or use drugs (marijuana or harder). That is very close to these apartments so I can definitely see the traffic coming your way. Now if it was around the corner off of Harris it'd be okay as the surrounding houses are pretty nice. Harris Rd area is probably the 3rd worst part of Ypsi, mostly due to the apartments. (Anderson Villas on one side, Village Grove on the other) Pretty much you want to stay in the Clubview area (Between Golfside and Hewitt, and Ellsworth and Washtenaw (mostly houses)), Riverside Area (which is actually where I live, Congress and the surrounding streets between Hewitt and Mich Ave, but there are a lot of students, reasonable prices), Depot Town (downtown so a lot of night life, usually smaller houses or apartments) and Ford Lake area (pretty much anything on Ford Lake).

If you have a little higher budget then hit the Ypsi/Arbor border. Between Golfside and Carpenter. Otherwise Ann Arbor is going to be the most expensive. Plan on spending about 1200-1300 for a house in AA or 800-1100 for an apartment as opposed to 800-1200 for a house in Ypsi and 600-900 for an apartment in Ypsi.

Hope this helps a little, and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 5,402 times
We are currently looking to move to the Ann Arbor area. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few apartments that are in a nice, safe area around Ypsi.. we are looking to spend around $700 give or take, so Ypsi will probably be more in our price range. Any suggestions?

Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 AM

50 posts, read 129,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmt05 View Post
We are currently looking to move to the Ann Arbor area. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a few apartments that are in a nice, safe area around Ypsi.. we are looking to spend around $700 give or take, so Ypsi will probably be more in our price range. Any suggestions?

Look more towards Washtneaw and Golfside(by K-mart).

Old 04-10-2013, 01:43 PM

14 posts, read 27,362 times
What is the best website in which to look for rental properties in these areas? Pittsfield, A2, Saline....etc....

Also, someone mentioned Saline residents and their discriminatory practices....is this true?

Old 06-24-2015, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,760 times
Hello,

I am moving to Ypsi from Rapid City, SD to attend a Clinical Psychology Master's Program. I am planning on moving to 919 W. Cross St., right across from EMU. Is this area safe?? Thanks!

Old 06-26-2015, 01:24 AM

3,119 posts, read 7,604,473 times
Ypsilanti is sometimes known as "Ypsi-tucky". 'Nuff said.

Here's the Wikipedia page where you can learn that the town received its strange name from a Greek war hero:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ypsilanti,_Michigan

Ypsilanti also boasts one of the nation's most phallic water towers:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ypsi...w=1239&bih=628
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor