U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 PM

24 posts, read 52,835 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys sooo much for all your feedback. You guys have been great!!!. I do like both Northville and Novi, my husband is going to relocate his business to either Novi or Farmington hills so it should be a short commute. It seems to me that Northville has nicer looking home (lots of good quality), however I am concerned about the lack of diversity:-) although born and raised in the U.S. we are ethnically from Egypt:-) so not white. With 4 kids I'll be on the road a lot...soccer, piano, dance..you name it...so Novi's proximity to the highway is attractive. I did drive on Beck road back in 2008 and it took us forever to get throgh to our destination...I now know what the meaning of Michigan left:-))).
We are sooo excited about the move, and looking forward to making new friends and helping out the economy in MI:-)). It's going to be hard leaving San Diego and our friends here...but I think it'll be better for our family in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 05:28 AM

10 posts, read 10,309 times
For a family of four, I'd say go for Northville. Better suburbs, great schools and safer than Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is mostly a college town dominated by U of M. Not that that's a bad thing but be prepared to see U of M everywhere. Home prices in Ann Arbor are SKY HIGH and property taxes can be a b*tch so get ready to bend over for financial raping. I can't really talk much about Novi because I haven't lived there but from what I know, it's mostly suburbia. Not much else but it sounds like a great place to raise a family, I guess. I'm only staying in Ann Arbor because of school but once I graduate, I'm packing up and moving. Wouldn't recommend it.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:14 AM

47 posts, read 53,950 times
I've lived in Ann Arbor for 24 years and raised a family here. It is a great community - diverse, culturally interesting, great schools, lots of things to do, and safe. It is also a distinct city with a vibrant downtown and walkable neighborhoods. UM does dominate the community, but that is mostly positive. It brings opportunities to expose your kids to more music, art, and other culture than you will find in the more suburban communities. It is also much more ethnically diverse. Northville and Novi are also nice places, but definitely more suburban in feel and culture. It all depends on what you are looking for, but I prefer Ann Arbor.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,064 times
Default Cities

Can I ask why you picked those 3 cities? Livingston county "Brighton, Howell, Pinkney" are much more family friendly areas in my opinion

Old 02-23-2012, 09:57 AM

15,819 posts, read 32,492,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalCircle View Post
Can I ask why you picked those 3 cities? Livingston county "Brighton, Howell, Pinkney" are much more family friendly areas in my opinion
That is interesting. I have never heard anyone even suggest this. What makes you say this?

Schools are not as good as Northville, Novi, Ann Abror.

No downtown. Fewer parks, Less to do. More remote (maybe that is a good thing).

There are generally less crowded. That is a bit of an advantage if you want to live the rural lifestle and have a big plot of land with some horses. Althogh you can find such properties and areas in Northvlle and on the outskirts of Novi (even a few places just outside Ann Arbor as well)

I do not hate Brighton or Howell (proabably not even Pinkney) but I do not find them even remotely equal as place to raise a family. We must have different sets of value or different perceptions. What makes these cities better to you?

Old 02-26-2012, 08:10 AM

229 posts, read 411,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amomoffour View Post
Thank you guys sooo much for all your feedback. You guys have been great!!!. I do like both Northville and Novi, my husband is going to relocate his business to either Novi or Farmington hills so it should be a short commute. It seems to me that Northville has nicer looking home (lots of good quality), however I am concerned about the lack of diversity:-) although born and raised in the U.S. we are ethnically from Egypt:-) so not white. With 4 kids I'll be on the road a lot...soccer, piano, dance..you name it...so Novi's proximity to the highway is attractive. I did drive on Beck road back in 2008 and it took us forever to get throgh to our destination...I now know what the meaning of Michigan left:-))).
We are sooo excited about the move, and looking forward to making new friends and helping out the economy in MI:-)). It's going to be hard leaving San Diego and our friends here...but I think it'll be better for our family in the long run.
If you lived in A2 you could be purple and it wouldn't matter! Dont forget Dexter for quaint downtown and good schools...

I miss Michigan...would move back in a heartbeat if I could.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:12 PM

24 posts, read 52,835 times
Hi Everyone,
We just got back from our week visit. Although cold and snow less, we loved it:-)) We have decided on Northville, I have to say schools (all three levels, elementary, middle and high school) were excellent. I was impressed with the education. The irony is they teach Spanish from first grade on, and here in California where probably you could use it more, they start teaching it from 7th grade. The schools might not be as shiny and new as they are here...but the substance is what matters.
Thanks everyone for all your information. peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor