Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 AM

25 posts, read 83,043 times

Advertisements

Ram2 - graduate program's resources do trickle down to the undergrad program. The University of Michigan is ranked in the top ten in almost every single academic discipline. Also, UofM’s endowment is the 6th largest in the country… behind only Harvard, yale, Princeton, Stanford, and MIT. Money talks in the academic world.

Canudigit – the fact that she is taking classes at UMD will help, but they’ll only have a few college courses to look at before they make a final decision. Did your daughter take any of the SAT subject tests? This is (practically) required for a home school student to get into UofM…. Or at least this was the case back when I went there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 10:25 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finance500 View Post
Ram2 - graduate program's resources do trickle down to the undergrad program. The University of Michigan is ranked in the top ten in almost every single academic discipline. Also, UofM’s endowment is the 6th largest in the country… behind only Harvard, yale, Princeton, Stanford, and MIT. Money talks in the academic world.

That does not mean squat in a job interview in the working world.

How does the average starting salary of a U-M BS graduate compare to starting salaries of graduates from other schools?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
That does not mean squat in a job interview in the working world.

How does the average starting salary of a U-M BS graduate compare to starting salaries of graduates from other schools?

I'm not in engineering, but my guess is that UofM engineer graduates fare much better than your average school. The program is highly recruited by companies across all industries. It's not uncommon at all for a UofM grad to be making 6 figures in their first year on the job.

In my field - finance/consulting - UofM grads make much higher salaries than any other school in Michigan. Although the base salary (what's reported) is around 60,000 a year, bonuses typically bring that figure to well over 100,000. That is just a starting salary.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
[/font][/color]

I'm not in engineering, but my guess is that UofM engineer graduates fare much better than your average school. The program is highly recruited by companies across all industries. It's not uncommon at all for a UofM grad to be making 6 figures in their first year on the job.

I know a recent U-M engineering grad who will be greatly dissppointed. He is only making around $ 50K a year, less than the recent Kettering and Michigan Tech grads I know.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:53 AM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
The University of Michigan is a state school. Get over it. It is not in the same league as Harvard, Yale, MIT, Carnegie-Mellon, Case-Western, etc. There is nothing elite about it other than the high tuition and the perception of the football team. Anybody who says U-M provides a better educational experience than any other school obviously does not know how to hire. My employer prefers Kettering graduates over U-M graduates.
UM is the best architecture school in the country. Better than Harvard, Yale, etc.
They also have the best undergrad management program in the country and the 2nd best marketing program.
They have the 6th best undergrad engineering program in the country, no ivy league school is better, but 3 "state schools" are - Berkeley, Georgia Tech, and UIUC.

So, yes, in many, many ways UM is "elite". And not in tuition. Tuition is actually quite a bargain. It'll cost you about $12,000 per year.
MIT, which you pointed out, is $40,000/yr and, depending on your major, not as good of an education.

UM is not great in teaching and art though.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I know a recent U-M engineering grad who will be greatly dissppointed. He is only making around $ 50K a year, less than the recent Kettering and Michigan Tech grads I know.
I know a UofM grad that is working as a mover. What's your point?

Old 12-21-2011, 11:11 AM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
1 != trends.

your sample size of 1 is totally worthless.

For 2008 graduates, UM engineers' average starting salary ranged from $50,000 to $75,000, depending on discipline
MTU engineering graduates' average starting salary ranged from $37,000 to $67,000
Kettering engineering graduates' average starting salary ranged from $33,000 to $57,000

As a whole, UM graduates average starting salary is $50,000.
MSU is $43,800
Western is $42,100
EMU is $38,000
CMU is $38,000
Northern is $36,000

For additional analysis:
UM tuition is $12,000/yr
MSU tuition is $13,000/yr
WMU tuition is about $9,000/yr
EMU is $9,000/yr
CMU is $11,500/yr
Northern is about $9,000/yr

When factoring in tuition, UM is a bargain, and Central is a rip-off.

But this is going in to something that should be in the education forum instead...

OP: legacy also can mean grandparents and aunts/uncles. Monroe county also doesn't help. Neither does the home schooling. My suggestion would still be having her go to community college or Eastern for a year or two and transferring. (but as I just wrote, the Eastern route doesn't save too much money...)

Old 12-21-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
UM is the best architecture school in the country. Better than Harvard, Yale, etc.
They also have the best undergrad management program in the country and the 2nd best marketing program.
They have the 6th best undergrad engineering program in the country, no ivy league school is better, but 3 "state schools" are - Berkeley, Georgia Tech, and UIUC.

So, yes, in many, many ways UM is "elite". And not in tuition. Tuition is actually quite a bargain. It'll cost you about $12,000 per year.
MIT, which you pointed out, is $40,000/yr and, depending on your major, not as good of an education.

UM is not great in teaching and art though.

6th best based on what?

I believe the School of Design, Art, Architecture, and Planning at the University of Cincinnati is ranked higher in architecture than U-M.

TOTAL tuition at U-M is more than $12,000 per year (look at all those additional fees).

Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Canudigit – the fact that she is taking classes at UMD will help, but they’ll only have a few college courses to look at before they make a final decision. Did your daughter take any of the SAT subject tests? This is (practically) required for a home school student to get into UofM…. Or at least this was the case back when I went there.
Nope, she didn't take those. She took the SAT and the ACT. Her 30 on the ACT was her highest score, and she actually got a 35 in both English Comprehension and Reading, so in those two subjects she was almost perfect.

I thought it was interesting, though, that the Office of Undergrad Admissions just sent her a lovely Happy Holidays e-card today. It seems that unless they are somewhat interested in her, then a school as selective as Michigan wouldn't have bothered with that. I guess I'm thinking that if they're not interested at all, then they wouldn't bother to send little kindnesses and encouragements like they keep doing. Our son's girlfriend applied at U of M a couple of years ago and didn't get in. She says that she never got anything from the office of admissions at all, except a thank you for applying email and a rejection letter.

We're going to hold out hope until we know for sure if our daughter is accepted or not.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:02 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
People frequently get in if they are waitlisted. I do nto know the percentages opverall. I do know that everyone we /our kids know who got wait listed, was eventually admitted.

If she decides to go elsewhere and then transfer, have her get some ECs to round out her applicaiton as well as good grades. She really need to demonstrate a capacity for execellence in something other than doing her homework.

Do not wait too long. Only 60 credits can be transfered (even from U-M D.)

It makes sense to get some core classes out of the way at a cheper school. However she may not be challenged and may nt learn as much as she will miss out on the interaction with other highly performing students.

If she attends U-M D. and has talents, she can participate in some U-M Ann Arbor activities (I know marching band if she cna get in, Choir maybe, not sure what all else). I woudl expect that is she is already a part of some U-M program it would help her get in. (Are they not going to admit a member fothe U-M marching band with execellent grades and test scroes). However they need to be very very talented to get into the program.

As far as UM execellence in "the arts" they amy be true if by "the Arts" you mean drawing and painting. I do nto know about drawing and paintig, but in muscial theater, U-M is one of the top programs int he US, maybe even number 1 I cannot remember. Their vocal music program is also top notch, I think top in the State. Not sure about instrumental music, but watching the marching band cpmared to other schools- they cannot be slouches in that area either.

Teaching may be a weak spot, not sure. Their teachig program is not that large. Eastern is the big teaching school. They may or may not be one of the best, but they are certainly one of the biggest teaching programs as Eastern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor