Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:42 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,535,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finance500 View Post
Plenty of top schools don't offer co-op programs. Their students don't struggle to find internships or full-time jobs, so it really isn't necessary.

Lower ranked schools (Cincy, Kettering, ect) need to create some sort of competitive edge so that their students are (somewhat) attractive to employers. This is not needed at top schools.

You seem to know very little about anything other than your specific field (engineering) and even that seems limited to your experience at a specific company. Please stop feeding people garbage.

I am involved in hiring candidates from many different backgrounds. Sorry to burst your bubble, but U-M grads are usually beaten out by better grads from Purdue, Kettering, MTU, OSU, Lawrence Tech, etc. Maybe you should ask U-M for a refund of your tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Exactly!

The total cost for a year at U of M Ann Arbor for an out of state student who obviously needs housing, is right around $50,000/year. Since we live about 20 min. from campus and are Michigan residents, our daughter could commute and pay right around $12,000/year:

Office of Financial Aid: Cost of Attendance

So for us, U of M Ann Arbor would actually be a huge bargain and much cheaper than just about any other option except for EMU or the University of Toledo, both of which are good schools in some ways, but neither of which holds a candle to the quality and reputation of U of M.

$50,000 a year to go to a state school ! OUCH !!!

Old 12-22-2011, 03:50 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,252,659 times
Honestly, ram2, you are just coming across as being bitter and jealous. Even if that isn't the case, and you are happy as a clam, that's how it is coming across.

When we attended a by invitation only reception for potential applicants and also when we attended a campus tour, we were in the company of people from all over the continental U.S. as well as all over the world. There were kids and their parents there who had flown in from Asia, Europe, and Central America, and states as far flung as California and Washington. When we were having lunch on campus during the week when the fall students were all moving in, it became a game to see how many states' license plates we could count. It was well over 15. U of M is really not just another state school. It's a destination school for outstanding students from everywhere. It's the truth. I'm sorry, but it is.

I wish you well in all of your career endeavors. I didn't really start this thread to give one poster an excuse to bash U of M endlessly, so would it be okay if we keep it to discussing the original topic, which was not comparing U of M to other schools, but rather what people who are familiar with U of M think of my daughter's chances of getting into that school?

Thanks.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:15 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,809,250 times
My sister got deferred from Michigan, she had a 3.7 gpa and ended up going to MSU. She couldn't be happier, and is now at state with a 3.9 gpa getting read to apply to med school next year. Your education is what you make of it, you don't have to go to Michigan to be successful.

With selective colleges, it is literally impossible to really give your chances, because there are times a 3.0 student could get accepted and a 3.5 rejected or the other way around. In a sense, college applications do come down a little bit to luck. The most you can do is wish for the best, and then take your best option.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:40 PM

2,556 posts, read 3,595,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I am involved in hiring candidates from many different backgrounds. Sorry to burst your bubble, but U-M grads are usually beaten out by better grads from Purdue, Kettering, MTU, OSU, Lawrence Tech, etc. Maybe you should ask U-M for a refund of your tuition.
You certainly have an axe to grind. In the last three pages of posts, several posters have identified -- quantitatively and qualitatively, the relationship between tuition and income, UofM's global ranking (with citation), etc.

Whether you care to admit it or not, UofM is simply one of the elite schools in the US, and probably, the world. While not all UofM grads earn $100,000K out of college (in fact, I'm fairly certain only a very small percentage do...), the education, training and experience they gain in Ann Arbor prepares them better than most schools. Didn't mean for this to sound like a Michigan brochure, but you seem to be living in a very dark and cloudy snow globe.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Honestly, ram2, you are just coming across as being bitter and jealous. Even if that isn't the case, and you are happy as a clam, that's how it is coming across.

When we attended a by invitation only reception for potential applicants and also when we attended a campus tour, we were in the company of people from all over the continental U.S. as well as all over the world. There were kids and their parents there who had flown in from Asia, Europe, and Central America, and states as far flung as California and Washington. When we were having lunch on campus during the week when the fall students were all moving in, it became a game to see how many states' license plates we could count. It was well over 15. U of M is really not just another state school. It's a destination school for outstanding students from everywhere. It's the truth. I'm sorry, but it is.

I wish you well in all of your career endeavors. I didn't really start this thread to give one poster an excuse to bash U of M endlessly, so would it be okay if we keep it to discussing the original topic, which was not comparing U of M to other schools, but rather what people who are familiar with U of M think of my daughter's chances of getting into that school?

Thanks.

I just wanted to save you money. Hey, it's your money. You can spend it wisely or foolishly.

P.S. - many universities draw students from across the globe. Michigan Tech has a large contingent of Asian students in the tiny town of Houghton.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You certainly have an axe to grind. In the last three pages of posts, several posters have identified -- quantitatively and qualitatively, the relationship between tuition and income, UofM's global ranking (with citation), etc.

Whether you care to admit it or not, UofM is simply one of the elite schools in the US, and probably, the world. While not all UofM grads earn $100,000K out of college (in fact, I'm fairly certain only a very small percentage do...), the education, training and experience they gain in Ann Arbor prepares them better than most schools. Didn't mean for this to sound like a Michigan brochure, but you seem to be living in a very dark and cloudy snow globe.

I think you just can't handle the truth that U-M is nothing more than a state university. You sound like one of those people who think spending more money on a product or service automatically makes it better than a lower cost option.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:11 PM

16,401 posts, read 30,809,250 times
Quote:
I think you just can't handle the truth that U-M is nothing more than a state university. You sound like one of those people who think spending more money on a product or service automatically makes it better than a lower cost option.

UM is a lot more than just a state university, it is ranked #26 in the nation overall, ranked above many well known private universities. UM is not just any state university, and I think you are under-rating it.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
UM is a lot more than just a state university, it is ranked #26 in the nation overall, ranked above many well known private universities. UM is not just any state university, and I think you are under-rating it.

And there are other state universities ranked higher tha U-M.

One of the previous posts said U-M was ranked #6. Now it's ranked 26th. Which is it?

Old 12-23-2011, 04:32 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,252,659 times
Quote:
I just wanted to save you money. Hey, it's your money. You can spend it wisely or foolishly.

P.S. - many universities draw students from across the globe. Michigan Tech has a large contingent of Asian students in the tiny town of Houghton.
But the thing is, we would not be saving money if our daughter went to a different school because we live 20 min. from campus and she could commute. Even if she did want to go to Kettering, or Lawrence Tech (not likely, since we had never even heard of either of them until they started bombarding her with emails and snail mail flyers and they are probably engineering schools, which is definitely not up her alley), or any other school, where would she go that would cost $12,000/year and be as respected and selective a school with an international reputation as Michigan? Being able to attend U of M for under $15,000/year is like a gift from God in our eyes. She could go to Eastern, maybe, or UT for that price, but those schools don't have anything on U of M, they aren't even in the same league (UT basically accepts anyone with a high school diploma and a pulse). Any other school other than community college would mean paying room and board, which adds a huge amount to the final cost. As I said before, our daughter attending U of M would actually mean a HUGE SAVINGS for our family because of where we live. In short, she would be getting something for $12,000 that others pay $50,000 for!

Analogy: If you had the chance to buy a brand new Escalade that you happen to know others are paying $65,000 for for $20,000, you wouldn't take advantage of it? The true value of anything is the price that someone is willing to pay for it. If thousands and thousands of people from all over apply to U of M every year, knowing full well that if they get in it will cost $50,000/year, then that is the true value of a U of M education. We would be getting an enormous discount just by virtue of where we live. It's not often in life when that happens.

Last edited by canudigit; 12-23-2011 at 04:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor