Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 11,520 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been accepted into the clinical psychology master's program at EMU and will be moving this summer. I am searching for apartments online and am totally overwhelmed! Ideally, I'm looking for a pet-friendly (I have 1 chihuahua), 1-2 bedroom apartment in a safe area within walking distance to EMU's science complex (I've heard parking is impossibleee on campus, so I'd rather not drive). I know living so close to campus, everything will be packed with undergrads. I'm not so worried about noise although crime, etc is of concern. Also, my budget is no more than 800/month including utilities and pet rent.

Any one know of any such apartments?

I also have a few more questions...

Does the Ypsi area have public transportation? Are there any shuttles to campus? When is a good time to look for apartments? How fast do they fill up for the school year? How long can a deposit hold them prior to move-in?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 07:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
You heard wrong. Parking is available on campus if you buy a campus parking pass. EMU is nearly half commuters. There is a lot of parking available. My daughter commutes and parks and does not have trouble finding parking. Free parking is very difficult to find.

there are apartments all over the place. Man of them are cheap, but you have to be careful. cheap ones are often slimey or dangerous, or they are too near the train tracks. Stay away from fraternity row.

You could probably get free or discounted housing if you agree to serve as a dorm manager or whatever they are called. Lots of grad students do this.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM

33 posts, read 107,795 times
Have you checked craigslist? You may be able to find a place with pets on that budget through a homeowner. That's a pretty tight budget to be honest for the area (especially ann arbor), but do-able. I don't know as much about pricing in Ypsi, but I believe it's a little cheaper. About 5 years ago I lived in a 1 bedroom for about $800/mo in Ann Arbor on the top floor of a couple's house that I found on Craigslist. That type of situation would be ideal for you because it would be away from the undergrads and they would likely allow a pet. As Coldjensens said though, you'll probably need to pay for parking unless you are right on campus.
Ann Arbor is a great place to live. Ypsi is also great, but there are less than great areas as well. Depot Town is really cute and has some good houses. My friend used to live in an old victorian on the top floor there for fairly cheap.
In Ann Arbor I would recommend Kerrytown to get away from the undergrads. Again though, you'd have to commute to EMU and park then.
Feel free to message me directly with questions

Old 04-01-2012, 11:57 AM

Thanks for info. Anyone heard anything good, bad, or otherwise about golfside apartments, village grove, round tree, pines of clover lane, glencoe hills or three oaks properties?

Old 04-01-2012, 05:10 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
Default 30 year Yosilanti resident

Golfside - Always been dicey

Village Grove - I don't know anything

Round Tree - Dicey for last decade or so

Pines of Cloverlane - Used to be very nice and I believe it is still good. There is an adjacent complex which is also good to OK.

Glencoe HIlls - Used to be one of the best but times change and I would avoid it now. Too much crime and too many fires.

Three Oaks - I don't know anything.

Peninsula Apartments right across Huron River Drive form Campus are nice appearing. Very much Campus/Student apartments but you can't get any closer to EMU and they are only a few years old.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the info. It's so hard to find a good complex not being from the area and not having anyone to ask! Is something wrong with all McKinley properties or just Roundtree and Golfside? I'm also considering Fairway Trails, Evergreen (McKinley), Aspen Chase (McKinley), Lake Pointe, Lakeshore, Arbor Pointe, Schooner Cove (McKinley) or the Villas (McKinley). Thoughts? Also, are Penninsula Apartments student only apartments? My boyfriend doesn't go to EMU, and the site wasn't very clear.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM

62 posts, read 251,496 times
McKinley are pretty good properties. Have you checked out apartmentratings.com? If not, check out this link:
Ypsilanti Apartments for Rent - Ypsilanti Apartments Reviews and Ratings

Ypsilanti is a sketchy area in general...live in Ann Arbor if you don't mind the commute Right now is prime time for renting, so you should be actively looking! Good luck.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,551 times
Congratulations! Check, You may be able to qualify for on-campus housing. Small but good for giving you time to get oriented and acquainted with a new community. That will help keep within your budget until your fellow can acclimate and find work to improve your housing opportunities. I am the assistant director at Full Circle Community Center, a mental health consumer-run drop-in center. The Center is on Facebook. Look it up and send me a message so we may communicate, if you like. I would be glad to send you pics of places and info. I am not a Realtor or landlord. I am an alumnus who chose to stay in Ypsilanti.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,547,056 times
Hey - when I went to EMU, (okay, this was a while ago) - I lived at the apartment building on Congress, right by Mansfield.

Its on the edge of the "normal park neighborhood) and is between Michigan Avenue (sketchy) and Washtenaw. Its a very small building, one building - 3 floors (basement, 1st, 2nd) - and has perhaps 12 units or so per floor.

When I lived there, I had a 2 bedroom and paid perhaps 600. Looking online (I searched apartment at congress and mansfield, ypsi) I found a site called "pad mapper" that found a craigslist ad for that complex -- $625 for 1st floor 2 bedroom heat included.

Laundry is in the basement. Large parking lot out back. They allowed dogs/cats when I lived there.

The apartments are huge.

Its about 10 blocks from campus (6 or so up to Washtenaw, then perhaps 4 blocks over to the edge of the parking lot near the library).

Walkable in nice weather, easily driveable (couple of minutes)

I don't know who owns the building now. When I lived there it was owned by an older lady (Flossy Bennet) who owned 5 different small buildings in Ypsi. She lived on the 1st floor in 2, 2 bedroom apartments that had been modified in to a gigantic unit. she basically lived in half the entire floor.

But she had some legal trouble and was involved in selling the properties when I was moving out.

Building was a bit dated when I was there, but location was quiet and safe (the neighborhood its on the edge of is a lot of professors, etc..) and easy to get to and from. Plus - apartments were huge, pet friendly and cheap. Also - bus stop at the corner is I remember correctly.

Regarding the McKinley properties - all of the "mega properties" in Ypsi (huge # of buildings spread out all over, with giant walking trails, etc..) were always considered to be unsafe when I was there.

Glencoe, etc.. They'd change management every few years, and rename themselves and renovate, but it didn't matter. You have 500 units, with a mostly lower income or student (i.e transient) population - you will have car break-ins, assaults, disorderly conduct, parties, etc.

I'd advise a smaller apartment building, or one of the numerous apartments in a converted house. Sorry I don't have more info (like a leasing agent) on the building I used to live in - but I do recommend you check it out if you can.

best of luck - enjoy EMU. Was a good school - got my BS, and MBA there.

Last edited by Briolat21; 05-18-2012 at 06:20 AM.. Reason: had a statement out of order and made no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor