U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 02:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,972 times

Advertisements

I'm a college student, and I'm living in California. I want to transfer to University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, but I don't know anything about this city. As I read all the posts in this forum, a lot of people say it is very hard to find a job in Michigan. I wonder it is true or not because I need a part time job to pay for my tuition fee. May someone please tell me about the job, education, and the living in here? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 06:28 AM

9 posts, read 35,598 times
It is hard to find jobs here, especially without any skills or degree. Heck, even with a degree, it's hard. I'm moving out of state because I physically cannot afford a college education in state, and financial aid funding has been cut drastically.

I really hate to say it (since I do love U of M), but it isn't worth it unless you can somehow get a full ride.

Ann Arbor itself is a beautiful city though. The driving can be a pain, but I love to just park and walk the streets.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:04 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,261,570 times
Are you a resident of CA? If so, it would be a bit foolish at first glance to pay out-of-state tuition to UMich when you have so many cheaper alternatives in CA - Berkeley, UCLA, etc. You would be basically paying for a private school education here in MI, which is fine, but there are dozens of private schools you could attend around the nation that could potentially give you more aid. If you can somehow claim MI residency, you would need to make $10k plus room/board to cover expenses. This isn't easy while going to school. If you're not adamant about paying all expenses, you could easily get a work-study type position on campus that pays several hundred a month or look for a job at one of the many restaurants or retail shops. Good luck.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:41 AM

845 posts, read 3,106,908 times
If you're a college student looking for part-time work you won't have any issues finding jobs.

The kind of jobs in short supply in Michigan are careers. Even that is somewhat overblown by the media. It just depends what field you're in.

UofM is a great school. Ann Arbor is a great city. I'd say transfer in.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:17 PM

13 posts, read 62,899 times
The campus is great just very liberal. If you choose to live their you will get bored of it.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:01 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,562,958 times
Lots of people go to UM for study, and pay the cash money required to do so.
What kind of PT job do you want?

Old 09-22-2007, 12:58 PM

800 posts, read 4,111,137 times
I'm biased because I went to the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor and earned my degree there in 1994 I don't live in Ann Arbor presently, but I go there often IMHO, it's the best city in Michigan And, well, to be a part of the Wolverine family is awesome--there's nothing like it Alumni are supportive of each other and this helps in many life areas, not just career You really do get a family with your degree And, if you ever move back to CA, there are huge alumni chapters in Orange County and Los Angeles

And, think of it this way...You can get student loans and pay them off later. I paid for my own education with my own dollars as a kid, but I did take out a few loans. I mean, we're only talking a few years of your life. It does depend on your field, but a degree from U. Mich. is worth a lot in so many ways And, if you do go back to CA, who knows? Maybe you'll be set apart from those who went to college in your state because you have something different to offer, etc. I mean, CA has great schools, so I don't mean to disparage those schools at all! My hubby picked Michigan over University of Southern California...We root for both schools in football--I know that is blasphemous to say here, but it's kind of funny

So, either way, you can make it work. If it's your dream, you'll find a way to make it happen and to work for you Don't let naysayers drag you down

Enjoy!

Old 09-22-2007, 02:00 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,562,958 times
The naysayers got stuck at CalTech or Cornell or some other boring place, yawn.

There is no qualification needed for Ann Arbor. It is the best city in Michigan.
I don't return to town often enough, but most of life between now and Thanksgiving doesn't really matter anyway.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:27 PM

12,645 posts, read 14,713,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluisu View Post
I'm a college student, and I'm living in California. I want to transfer to University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, but I don't know anything about this city. As I read all the posts in this forum, a lot of people say it is very hard to find a job in Michigan. I wonder it is true or not because I need a part time job to pay for my tuition fee. May someone please tell me about the job, education, and the living in here? Thank you.

You'll Love Ann Arbor ( I did) as for jobs - it should be fairly easy to get a job as a college student, now career afterwards - there's your challenge. We moved because we saw it coming and what appeared to be a sinking ship 4.5 years ago is nothing compared to the titantic today.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:39 PM

7,358 posts, read 10,588,460 times
Ann Arbor is one of the best places in the state right now to get a job, especially if you're just looking for a student joe job to keep you eating. You also have the option of splitting rent with 8 housemates and living almost for free!

Bring a serious pair of walking shoes -- not Birkenstocks either; I mean something that will stay comfortable even if you have to hike 2 miles 3x daily. Parking there is NONEXISTENT.

Here's a serious tip: look for a permanent job AT the University of Michigan. If you can get one -- and the competition is brutal, I warn you -- you will have an automatic full ride on the tuition, which is breathtakingly high when you are coming from out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor