U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 PM

21 posts, read 31,602 times

Advertisements

I hope this isn't too late, we looked at Shooner Cove, did some digging and talked to neighbors. It seemed like a pretty straight forward apartment complex. There has been crime there, but it's not a high crime area of Ypsi. Actually it's kind of isolated by farms and the lake. There is no bus line through there so that might be a problem for you. We opted to not live there because we calculated that using the washers and dryers which cost $2 per load, that we would be paying nearly $50 per month for that. Water charges were also another $50. Ended up renting in the Platt/Packard Ypsi side of Ann Arbor, we love the area, but decided to buy a house instead. Like the original poster we've been all over and this part of Michigan is pretty much amazing!

I'm buying in the Prospect Park area of Ypsi, just about a mile from Depot town. I read a lot of very helpful posts about Ypsi neighborhoods, then staked out the area at different time during the day. The only thing that bothered me was some guy yelling at someone on his cell phone while walking to the basketball courts, and three little jr. high kids that while walking past Adams Elementary picked up a glass bottle and broke it on the sidewalk; and that was a block from the house we are buying.

Ypsi is a chilled out version of Ann Arbor especially the down town and depot town parts, which really run together anyway. I grew up in Fresno California and the Prospect Park neighborhood reminds me of homes in an older part of Fresno's Van Ness neighborhood around Fresno High where I once taught. Except that I feel a much nicer sense of community here in Michigan. We just attended the Heritage Festival and liked how it seemed to be populated by families. I love Ann Arbor, but I might just fit into Ypsi better.

So what's up with the "wireless ypsi" is that still growing, or have people given up on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,885 times
Default word to the wise

You need to check out where you want to live AT NIGHT. Preferably a Friday or Saturday night. Many neighborhoods seem sleepy during the day, but it's a totally different story on Friday after 9.

I lived in the area in the early 2000s, and Ypsi had some good things going for it. I returned in 2010 and couldn't believe how many businesses had closed. Apartment complexes that were once nice are now run-down and full of poverty, crime and human misery. We rented a house in a neighborhood that seemed diverse, friendly, and family-oriented, but many of our neighbors lost their homes and things are taking a turn for the worse. The recession has hit the area hard. Also, basic things like the Secretary of State office used to be run with the same kind of order that they are in other cities, but it's like Thunderdome in there now. And don't take the bus if you can possibly help it. My car was in the shop one day this week, and my two-hour bus trip home involved getting hit up for money relentlessly, sick people coughing and sneezing all over everything, and meth addicts yelling about who got to get on the bus in front of whom.

Some of the far suburbs might be a little quieter/safer, but be careful with that boom-era construction. We looked at a 10-year-old house in the suburb off Textile whose foundation was crumbling. Whoever built that probably used the cheapest materials possible, made a huge profit, and got out of Ypsi long ago.

I wish this city could succeed. I wish Michigan could succeed. There are a lot of other people who feel the same way. Yet I'm losing faith that I'll ever see it in my lifetime. It breaks my heart to move away, but that looks like the wiser course of action.

Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 AM

21 posts, read 31,602 times
"It breaks my heart to move away, but that looks like the wiser course of action."

Where are you planning to go? I found the same economic hard times all over the west coast this last year. At least Ypsi is an affordable place to live. It doesn't take much work to pay a $500 a month mortgage, and that's for a house in a good neighborhood. I know there are areas of Ypsi that are really run down, but you can't say that without also mentioning that there are other neighborhoods where the residents take pride in home ownership, where people go for walks outside, and where you can feel safe. The house I'm buying has only had two owners in it's 75 years in existence. It says a lot about a place when people choose to stay for that long.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:14 PM

214 posts, read 186,079 times
Thanks for the input, though I still don't know if I'm moving or not. (I'm close enough to retirement that keeping my current job for a few more years makes sense, but I'm ready for a change.) We like the Ypsi/Ann Arbor area, but my spouse is at UT, and we're also fond of Toledo. (Yes, I like the character of nicer parts of Rust Belt towns and cities--much more civilized than Florida, where we grew up.)

Old 08-19-2012, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 1,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailuser View Post
"It breaks my heart to move away, but that looks like the wiser course of action."

Where are you planning to go? I found the same economic hard times all over the west coast this last year. At least Ypsi is an affordable place to live. It doesn't take much work to pay a $500 a month mortgage, and that's for a house in a good neighborhood. I know there are areas of Ypsi that are really run down, but you can't say that without also mentioning that there are other neighborhoods where the residents take pride in home ownership, where people go for walks outside, and where you can feel safe. The house I'm buying has only had two owners in it's 75 years in existence. It says a lot about a place when people choose to stay for that long.
Wherever I could find a job in my field, I guess. We've actually been trying to buy the house we live in for 7 months, (short sale now foreclosure), and have been bidding on houses for a year with nothing but disappointing results. Fannie Mae has bought up half the area for its "Homepath Renovation" ponzi scheme. I am tired of doing so much work to get something I feel ambivalent about, anyway. It makes me depressed beyond belief to have to consider going into an apartment complex full of parties and/or crime (Ann Arbor or Ypsi), but if we can't stay in our current house, I don't know what else we can afford. The more we pay in rent, the less we have to put towards buying a home. Feels like we're back in a feudalist society.

Anyway, it sounds like you found a good home/neighborhood, so congrats!

Old 09-22-2012, 01:34 AM

3,934 posts, read 4,068,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Thanks for the input, though I still don't know if I'm moving or not. (I'm close enough to retirement that keeping my current job for a few more years makes sense, but I'm ready for a change.) We like the Ypsi/Ann Arbor area, but my spouse is at UT, and we're also fond of Toledo. (Yes, I like the character of nicer parts of Rust Belt towns and cities--much more civilized than Florida, where we grew up.)
Ypsi is a cute town with some urban rust-belt bones. The downtown business district seems pretty cool, and there are some beautiful Victorian historic districts. I'm also a big fan of Toledo (but can't find a job there)!

Old 11-08-2012, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 2,120 times
dont know where to move to in or around the Ann Arbor area. my boyfriend and i are moving there from cincinnati area and we like outdoor activites (parks, hiking, canoeing etc.) culture, micro-brews, music...relatively clean neighborhood....we really dont want to be among the retirees, or hard core crime areas (obviously) if anyone has any advice, i'm open to it, thanks

Old 02-16-2013, 04:35 PM

195 posts, read 115,918 times
I lived in Ypsilanti for awhile. Honestly, even though Ann Arbor is substantially larger, I feel like it doesn't have that much more action than Ypsilanti, unless you really enjoy expensive restaurants. Ypsilanti is seedier, but I think the problems can be overrated. It can be rough, but it's nothing like Detroit. Just about any older city in in the lower half of Michigan EXCEPT Ann Arbor is going to have a few problems. And the bus service on Washtenaw Ave. is (or was?) pretty good if you wanted to get to Ann Arbor, and both cities are very walkable once you're there.

Actually, I usually wouldn't do this, but here are two quick links to some writing I did on the culture and life in Ypsilanti. I think it'll give you a good idea of what you're getting into:

Yippy for Ypsi (Part 1) | MADE IN MICHIGAN
Yippy for Ypsi (Part 2) | MADE IN MICHIGAN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor