Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 13,251 times

Advertisements

Hi! Anybody out there familiar with Jewish Michigan? We may relocate and I enjoy being involved in the Jewish community. We're looking somewhere around Ann Arbor (where I know there are Jewish populations), but may end up anywhere up to 60 miles away. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 AM

809 posts, read 2,409,110 times
Ann Arbor has a small Jewish community, and the reform Synagogue that is there shares space with a church. The biggest Jewish community within 60 miles is probably the one centered around West Bloomfield, Oak Park, and Huntington Woods in the Metro Detroit area.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Ann Arbor has a small Jewish community, and the reform Synagogue that is there shares space with a church. The biggest Jewish community within 60 miles is probably the one centered around West Bloomfield, Oak Park, and Huntington Woods in the Metro Detroit area.
Don't forget to mention Southfield. Southfield used to be the epicenter--but the Jewish community has pretty much spread out from there.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 AM

131 posts, read 480,381 times
Here is a list of Michigan Synagogues:

Synagogues in Michigan - Shuls in Michigan - Jewish Temples in Michigan

Ann Arbor's Jewish Community is about as good as it gets:

Ann Arbor boasts a vibrant Jewish community

Right, but Sherek Zedek (sp) is still on Bell Road. Jackson has an old dwindling Jewish Community. Lansing (65 miles) has one. Flint has a dwindling one. Farmington Hills (West Bloomfield's neighbor) has a very large community as does Commerce Township.

I live in Western Wayne County (Jewish/Catholic marriage). We have a small congregation out here:

https://www.facebook.com/betchaverim

The Congregation in Livonia closed last year. There are still some Jews there, but it borders Farmington Hills and most attend services in FH.

Technically Grosse Pointe is within 60 miles of Ann Arbor, but I wouldn't recommend it. They have a small but strong Jewish community.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:45 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
I was always under the impression that West Bloomfield & possibly Southfield (maybe not anymore) were some of the hub areas for the community in Metro Detroit. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
I was always under the impression that West Bloomfield & possibly Southfield (maybe not anymore) were some of the hub areas for the community in Metro Detroit. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

There are 2 big temples in those areas - 1 right off I-696/Telegraph and 1 on Telegraph at either 14 or 15 mile rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor