Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 12,803 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for our 1st home. We live in AA now and have a budget of 150k. We been looking in areas like Chelsea, Dexter, Saline, ect., but our budget is really only giving us older homes, small homes or homes that have lots of problems. Our realtor recently suggested the developments south of Textile, east of Hitchingham, West of Tuttle Hill and North of Bennis. We can really get a lot of newer home for our money, but I am concerned with the safety. Any experiences there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 12:27 PM

4,261 posts, read 5,887,082 times
Default Lived in that area for over 30 years

Our subdivision was constructed starting in 1979 so it is one of the oldest subs in the area. Yes this area is safe. In 30 years of living here the only crimes I have heard of involved things being taken out of open garages (our oldest lost a bike that way 20 years ago) but nothing that I remember in the past two decades. Maybe the nere-do-wells have moved on to areas with much more expensive homes.
  1. No crime activity
  2. Easy commute to US-23 and I-94
  3. Great local government, very proactive on addressing community needs
  4. Low taxes
  5. Fantastic system of local Parks
The only draw-back is the deteriorating condition of the local public school system. Too many poor quality Teachers, no quality Administrators, and a School Board who has their heads in the sand. I can foresee the school system dissolving within three years. But with Schools Of Choice you still have multiple options, and if you don't need a school for a few years (no mention of children in your post) a re-formed District might solve the only problem.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 PM

510 posts, read 712,648 times
Yes, I agree that area is safe. As far as schools go, Ypsilanti and Willow Run (a nearby down at the heels suburb) are merging so that is anybody's guess how it will turn out.

Ypsilanti in general as more crime than Ann Arbor, no disagreement there. But the price of housing in AA is IMHO insanely high. Move our 2 storey home with a large yard, 2 stall garage to Ann Arbor and the price would be at least $100 K more.
And Ypsi is actually a very cool place.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 AM

21 posts, read 68,495 times
Default Ypsi-Safety

I was checking out another website that shows shades of blue-white for neighborhood crime stats. LOL I used to live in two of the worst neighborhoods in A2. Where I live in Ypsi (Holmes/Prospect/Forrest/River) Neighborhood is safer then most A2 neighborhoods. Best part is that I bought my house for 85K at only $56 per sq ft. Mortgage+Taxes comes in at about $650 per month. I paid $900 per month to live in a less safer neighborhood in A2.

YES Ypsi schools are terrible and I will not be sending my daughter there unless something changes drastically in the next two years. I doubt that will be the case. With the money saved living in Ypsi I can send my kids to the BEST private schools or enroll in a charter school. You just have to be creative. I love my neighborhood, Depot Town, and having NO TRAFFIC to deal with on my commute.

Lots of benefits to living in Ypsi, you just have to be willing to deal with the ignorant Ann Arborites who say things like "Avoid YPSI at all costs" mostly because someone said that to them and fear is hard to contend with.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM

9 posts, read 32,093 times
I have lived in that exact area for the last 17 years and it has been an absolutely wonderful neighborhood! I have to agree that the only crime I have heard of is things being stolen out of open garages and unlocked cars. It is generally quiet at night (unless it is a holiday, especially 4th of July, when people in the nearby neighborhoods set off fireworks...but, hey, free fireworks show!) and there is not a lot of through traffic, just other residents.

This area is in the Lincoln School district, so the merging of the Ypsilanti and Willow Run districts into the new combined Ypsilanti Community Schools doesn't impact residents in this area. I went to Lincoln schools and, while they are definitely not on par with the excellence of Ann Arbor schools, it is a decent school system. I had some very wonderful teachers and overall feel it is a decent place to send kids to school.

In contrast with the City of Ypsilanti, Ypsilanti Township is very well governed and responsive to the needs/desires of their citizens. Another advantage of this specific area is that it is very close to the Ypsilanti Township offices. Other nearby benefits: U.S. Post Office, Kroger grocery store (and plaza with plenty of other amenities), and Rolling Hills park.

I would highly recommend considering this area for buying a home. The prices cannot be beat and you will have truly wonderful neighbors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor