Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
I have to pitch Wyandotte. Great walkable downtown, beautiful older homes (and new as well!) with lots of charm, schools of choice to Trenton (I've heard Wyandotte schools aren't great) and it's on the river. Very friendly people, not snobbish, great restaurants and attractions downtown, and not too far from Southland mall and the umpteen restaurants in Southgate and Taylor.
Ditto. Wyandotte is a really nice riverfront city/town. Downsides are the schools (Trenton is better) and proximity to River rouge or Ecorse or whatever that yuck place just to the north is. (this proximity probably also explains the problems with the schools). Great deals on real estate in Wyandotte right now. You will want to stay within walking distance of the town/city proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:15 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,457 times
Default Yes, Saline!

We lived in Saline until we relocated to NC last Fall (we were one of those Pfizer families!), and we LOVED Saline!

Great schools, great neighborhoods, fun annual parades, convenient to shopping, freeways, airport, anywhere you want to go. We LOVED our Church! A lot of wonderful families live in Saline -- you cannot go wrong.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want more information.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 PM

17 posts, read 159,525 times
I have lived in Saline for 17 years now and think it is a great place to live. It has a small town feel without being too small. It is however growing rapidly (new walmart and discount tire going in just outside Saline Township) so that is something to think about. Dexter is almost identical and a few years behind. As someone mentioned it does have a brand new high school that is in its 4th year of being open and I believe for a year or two it was the biggest in the state. It has an excellent school district and is very close to a mall (15 min) meijer and target (10 min) and the airport (30-40min). Saline does have a ton of nice neighborhoods (Travis Point, Wildwood, Northview, Warner Creek, Mallord Cove, ext) and no real "bad" or run down areas. I would suggest taking a visit hear and visiting a few near by cities to see what fits you best. Hope this helps and feel free to ask me any questions.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 19,716 times
Thanks for all the helpful info. We've been to Saline and looked at houses and have been impressed. Houses are much nicer and less expensive than in NH. They have no appreciation for central air here in NH. We have noticed the taxes in the City of Saline are very high, more than we pay here in NH and that's the only tax we pay. We're thinking Pittsfield or York Townships might be the way to go. But they're getting a Walmart? Ugh. Wally World and I just don't get along.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 PM

61 posts, read 234,236 times
Michigan is notorious for having high property taxes. You'll find though that the cost of those houses in Saline are cheaper than anything on the east coast. I lived the first 37 years of my life in Michigan, including Saline (1999-2002) and made a TON of money on my house when I sold it. We don't have kids, but our house was walking distance to an elementary, junior high and high school, so there were a TON of kids in our sub. So much so that we couldn't open our windows in warm weather because the screaming kids drowned out the peacefulness. Mac's is a great restaurant in Saline.

We left Saline to be closer to "stuff". Saline was just too far out and I got tired of driving Michigan Ave. We bought, then sold a house in Milford (2002-2006) and lost our butts on it. We've since left Michigan for Denver. Better weather, better economy.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 AM

734 posts, read 2,616,977 times
I didn't feel like making a new topic and this was the most recent topic regarding Saline so I'll just post my question here...

Apart from subletting a room in AA during the summer, I'm looking at getting an apartment in Saline during that time. Does anyone know if there are any good apartment complexes there, or any not good ones for that matter? It'll only be 3 months so I'm not too picky.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:22 AM

1 posts, read 3,012 times
Default Tecumseh & Manchester

Both of these are darling downtown areas. Tecumseh is much larger, but boasts a brand new state of the art high school. The downtown is so nice, with tree lined streets and 1800 Victorian homes leading into the downtown. There are cute boutiques and a great English Pantry teas garden. Being in the downtown always makes me think of "To Kill a Mockingbird" as far as the town depicted in the novel. It is a quick commute to Ann Arbor and allthe things you'd want from a city. Close to theater- The Purple Rose in neary Chelsea, and the opera in Adrain- Croswells. Manchester is much smaller but quaint too. Good luck - any other questions about these areas- feel free to inquire - joanie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor