Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 AM

213 posts, read 1,087,475 times

Advertisements

I have a fabulous job offer at Eastern MI University in Ypsi, and need your help. Here are my q's and concerns:

1. Where is the best place to live/buy a home? We would like similar to what we have now--2200 s.f., 3-4 bedrooms, large yard, clean and safe neighborhood. Perhaps I could describe it as "moderate upscale" (ie not rich and snooty, but beyond a "starter" home or "fixer-upper").

2. My spouse is a home designer. I've heard Michigan's economy is the worst in the country. How bad is the job market for people in home building (including additions--not just new construction) and remodelling?

Advice is appreciated. If I accept the job, we would be moving from Minnesota--so don't tell me about the weather! I already know about that.

Thanks--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM

11 posts, read 34,907 times
Default Where to live if I work in Ysp

Congrats on the job! My son is a junior at EMU. I would recommend that you check out Canton, MI. It is very close to Ypsilanti, has great schools and community. There are also a lot of houses to choose from right now. I have lived here for 16 years and still like it. Let me know if you need more info.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Where to live if I work in Ypsi

Also, one thought is what type of area do you want to live in? Country? Suburb? Salem Township and Saline are also very nice.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:34 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,730 times
Avoid Ypsi itself, at least the areas that are drug and crime infested. I would suggest either the Ann Arbor area, or if you like more of that open, country feel then Salem Twp would be a good choice.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:07 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,501 times
Canton is really just congested, small neighborhoods. Not a real community feel. If you want a nice more downtown type area I recommend Ann Arbor.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 PM

True Canton doesn't have a small town feeling, however if you check out the services, the library, recreation etc. it is state of the art. I think most Canton people go into Plymouth for the small town feeling. The web site is Canton, Michigan Official Township Web site Ann Arbor does have a nice down town area, however I believe the housing cost and taxes are much higher. Check out City of Plymouth, if you want a small town type area to live. There web site is Plymouth MI - Official Website Plymouth Township, which surrounds the city was recently named by Money Magazine as the 37th best place to live. The Web site is Official Website of Plymouth Township, Michigan (MI) A BIG advantage to checking out Salem Township, Saline, web site City of Saline, Michigan - One of America's Best Places to Live, Work and Play or Ann Arbor is to get out of Wayne County which is not known to run much better or be more user friendly than Detroit. Canton Twp, Plymouth Twp and Plymouth City are all a part of the Plymouth-Canton Community Schools which have an excellent reputation.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:09 AM

34 posts, read 155,991 times
Well instantly cross Ypsi off your list as a place to live. Ann Arbor is nice but pricy.

As far as construction work for your husband, he is going to really struggle to make a go of it. Home values have plummeted in the area and folks can't get money for improvements. I know several people in this line of work and they are barely holding in there.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 PM

17 posts, read 159,545 times
everyone above has made good suggestions. I am from Saline, about 15 minutes from Ypsi and just in terms of finding a house there are a lot of good options here. There are many new subs going up and a few older ones that, with the market, have had houses for sale for quite sometime and prices are dropping. Warner Creek, Northview, and Wildwood all have moderately priced houses that are 3-4 bdrms.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:51 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
I have a fabulous job offer at Eastern MI University in Ypsi, and need your help. Here are my q's and concerns:

1. Where is the best place to live/buy a home? We would like similar to what we have now--2200 s.f., 3-4 bedrooms, large yard, clean and safe neighborhood. Perhaps I could describe it as "moderate upscale" (ie not rich and snooty, but beyond a "starter" home or "fixer-upper").

2. My spouse is a home designer. I've heard Michigan's economy is the worst in the country. How bad is the job market for people in home building (including additions--not just new construction) and remodelling?

Advice is appreciated. If I accept the job, we would be moving from Minnesota--so don't tell me about the weather! I already know about that.

Thanks--

1. Ypsilanti itself is a great place to live. There are many different neighborhoods and many truly charming homes. The "large yard" part is going to be tougher -- for that I suggest Brighton or Pinckney, Milan or Saline, maybe Dundee. Ann Arbor is nice but the prices are absolutely ridiculous.

2. Ypsi and surrounds are a remodeler's/reseller's paradise right now -- home sales are so slow that people are practically paying you to take places off their hands. Many are accepting bids well over 30% lower than the places' assessed value. You may have to be prepared to settle in and wait for the market to turn around before you can sell at a price you like, but foresclosure lists are long and plenty of them would make great rental properties in the meantime.

Here's a serious tip: anyone who is willing to break a big house (or several) into flats, especially in the Ypsi-Ann Arbor area, is just asking to get rich quick. There is NEVER enough decent student housing.

As far as building from scratch, I still know people who are doing this. Some people are hauling stakes and leaving for the Southwest, but the ones who stay are often doing better than just fine. The hubby might need to be creative in his salesmanship to get off to a fast start, and it's true thinhgs are MUCH slower than 5 years ago, but they're still moving.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:47 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Plymouth, Ann Arbor, Dexter, maybe even chelsea.
All fabulous places, but very different
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor