U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:14 AM

6 posts, read 14,927 times

Advertisements

We might be relocating to the AA or surrounding area from suburban Denver and I'm curious about the two areas of Ypsi that share the AA school districts. They are the lighter areas in the blue boundary:

I hear very mixed reviews about Ypsi itself. Our main concerns are good public schools, low violent crime, and decent internet for remote working (100+ MBps). Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Yac; 03-19-2018 at 05:49 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 08:56 AM

2,156 posts, read 1,652,657 times
I do not believe any of Ypsilanti shares the Ann Arbor school district.
Ypsilanti Township and Pittsfield Township do along the east and south sides along with several other townships west and north. But the city of Ypsilanti does not.

Ann Arbor does participate in the schools of choice program and takes a number of students from outside the district as space is available. That includes a significant number from Ypsilanti but those students are never guaranteed admittance. It is solely based on availability within the various Ann Arbor buildings. Once a student is admitted they obviously get to stay.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpfork View Post
We might be relocating to the AA or surrounding area from suburban Denver and I'm curious about the two areas of Ypsi that share the AA school districts. They are the lighter areas in the blue boundary:

I hear very mixed reviews about Ypsi itself. Our main concerns are good public schools, low violent crime, and decent internet for remote working (100+ MBps). Thanks in advance.
If you meant to include a link or map its not showing up.
As to Internet speed Comcast/Xfinity can get you 100+Mbps easily and are widely wired in Washtenaw County. The other option is AT&T but to get 100+ I think you need to be in an area that has fiber-optic. That is an ongoing process but it is far from complete. Otherwise AT&T defaults to DSL and I don't think they have 100+.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:21 AM

3,672 posts, read 4,768,327 times
Don't believe everything you hear negative about Ypsilanti. We have lived here almost 40 years and are very satisfied. There are parts of the city proper that are dicey and best to avoid except during daylight hours, but Ann Arbor has those too.

Generally speaking, the city areas west of EMU or East of 'Depot Town' are all good neighborhoods, the portions of Ypsilanti Township (a separate governmental unit) south of I-94 are all great areas. Portions of Pittsfield Twp are close enough to Ypsilanti that they have an Ypsilanti mailing address but are within the Ann Arbor School district (neighborhoods off Textile Road just East of Carpenter Road are an example).

For good public schools at the HS level, all districts offer Schools of Choice in some manner. The districts with superior schools have significantly higher home prices, and it may be cheaper to buy in a less desirable school district and pay for, or drive to, alternative schools - especially now that home mortgage interest is no longer tax deductible.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
For good public schools at the HS level, all districts offer Schools of Choice in some manner. The districts with superior schools have significantly higher home prices, and it may be cheaper to buy in a less desirable school district and pay for, or drive to, alternative schools - especially now that home mortgage interest is no longer tax deductible.
I assume by "all districts offer Schools of Choice in some manner. " you are referring to within Washtenaw County. In any case as I pointed out in my first post there are no guarantees somebody inside the Ypsilanti School district can get in to Ann Arbor or Saline, or a high quality charter school. So if the next alternative is a private school those can get awfully expensive. I would suggest if one can afford private schools they can afford to live in a more desirable neighborhood.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:22 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,377,581 times
Quote:
Generally speaking, the city areas west of EMU or East of 'Depot Town' are all good neighborhoods,
With pockets of not great right along Washtenaw.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:09 PM

38 posts, read 33,209 times
Quote:
The districts with superior schools have significantly higher home prices, and it may be cheaper to buy in a less desirable school district and pay for, or drive to, alternative schools - especially now that home mortgage interest is no longer tax deductible.
Home mortgage interest remains tax deductible up to $750K of indebtedness (reduced from $1M). Only home equity loans lose their deductibility. The higher standard deduction levels may make that moot (depending on your total deductions), but it still exists.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I assume by "all districts offer Schools of Choice in some manner. " you are referring to within Washtenaw County. In any case as I pointed out in my first post there are no guarantees somebody inside the Ypsilanti School district can get in to Ann Arbor or Saline, or a high quality charter school. So if the next alternative is a private school those can get awfully expensive. I would suggest if one can afford private schools they can afford to live in a more desirable neighborhood.
I was refering to the County Wide IB schools, Technical Middle College, Early College Alliance, etc. Districts who do not participate often have their own identical programs, hence choices within almost all districts.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I was refering to the County Wide IB schools, Technical Middle College, Early College Alliance, etc. Districts who do not participate often have their own identical programs, hence choices within almost all districts.

Old 03-23-2018, 08:53 AM

The important thing to remember is there are no guarantees outside ones district. So if one buys a house in Ypsilanti for the price discount they need to be ready to send a kid to Ypsi schools or pay for private schooling in case their name doesn't get pulled in a lottery for a better school in another district.
Also as a sidebar Ypsilanti has the highest property tax rate in Washtenaw county by a significant number. They are at almost 66 mills and Milan is second at almost 53.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor