Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:26 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,451 times

Advertisements

South Lyon is great if you are really looking for the small town atmosphere. Downtown South Lyon hosts some pretty cool festivals through the year and Lyon Township has a few as well. And is very walkable.

If you go to other areas like Brighton, Novi, Ann Arbor, then it will feel and be more urban.

South Lyon Schools pulls in students from Novi, Northville Township, South Lyon, Lyon Township, Salem Township, and Whitmore Lake. We opened a new elementary school last year because of the population explosion.

For us, we found the right house in the right neighborhood at the right price - which is why we moved. There are a lot of new people in the area (see my above post) which can be good/bad.

The area is in transition and whether you like it here will depend on your attitude. If you are looking for an area that's mostly country, you'll find it, but there needs to be the recognition that it may not be country in another 10-20 years.

Meeting people is a challenge as well. Also, this area is really Republican, so if you don't like Republican politics, then you are kind of out of luck. In 2016, I knew I was in AA when I saw all the Hillary signs. I knew I was in Lyon Township/South Lyon when I saw all the Trump signs. Other areas are more mixed. So that could be a positive or negative depending on what your preferences are in on this topic.

It's not weird for people to live here and work at U of M. However, the people I know who work there do it with the realization that they tend to be more conservative than the dominant culture at U of M. Home tends to be a refuge. I don't know if that matters or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor