Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2020, 01:42 PM

20 posts, read 27,655 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I plan on moving to the Ann Arbor area this summer. Not sure which city, looking at Brighton, Howell, S Lyon, Dexter.

Can you give your opinion on the best high speed internet (80Mbps +) and best Wireless Service (Verizon, AT&T etc.) in those areas?

I'm sure it's more difficult to get fast internet in the rural communities, so do they just have to deal with slow speeds or is there another solution?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 02:26 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,248,808 times
I'm 90% sure Xfinity/Comcast is in those communities and they can deliver 100 or more .
As to mobile phone service generally Verizon has the best overall coverage.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I'm 90% sure Xfinity/Comcast is in those communities and they can deliver 100 or more .
As to mobile phone service generally Verizon has the best overall coverage.
I've had T Mobile, Verizon and now Google Fi. Google Fi toggles me between T Mobile and Sprint towers as I move about. I've never had AT&T. In my experience Verizon has the best coverage but they are the most expensive.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:28 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
In Washtenaw or Livingston county, you don't have to worry at all about cell coverage. Pick which ever you prefer (they all suck). At my in-laws house, I got perfect reception with AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon.
At my mom's house in Clare I got good reception with AT&T and Verizon. At my mom's old house in Lake George, I got no reception with anything, only at the very, very end of her driveway did I get any reception. She also had zero options for high speed. But Clare County is nothing like Washtenaw or Livingston!

Old 03-23-2020, 06:42 AM

18 posts, read 10,880 times
Quote:
I've had T Mobile, Verizon and now Google Fi. Google Fi toggles me between T Mobile and Sprint towers as I move about. I've never had AT&T. In my experience Verizon has the best coverage but they are the most expensive.
If you have Xfinity for internet, you also qualify for their mobile service. I think it is among the cheapest anywhere, especially if you don't need unlimited data. I believe they use the Verizon network. I have had the mobile service since its inception and have been very happy with coverage.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrayluvFL View Post
If you have Xfinity for internet, you also qualify for their mobile service. I think it is among the cheapest anywhere, especially if you don't need unlimited data. I believe they use the Verizon network. I have had the mobile service since its inception and have been very happy with coverage.
Ya I considered it but I am not a $700-$1000 phone guy. Their selection doesn't include my phone a Moto G6. My wife just had to get a new phone for verizon, she got a Moto G7 Power for $139. Xfinity wants $239.
Plus I'm currently mad at Xfinity and might switch to AT&T Internet. But they haven't hit my neighborhood with fiber-optic yet so speeds are a bit problematic at my address.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:50 PM

46 posts, read 60,588 times
Quote:
Ya I considered it but I am not a $700-$1000 phone guy. Their selection doesn't include my phone a Moto G6. My wife just had to get a new phone for verizon, she got a Moto G7 Power for $139. Xfinity wants $239.
Plus I'm currently mad at Xfinity and might switch to AT&T Internet. But they haven't hit my neighborhood with fiber-optic yet so speeds are a bit problematic at my address.
You don't have to buy the phone from Comcast/Xfinity. Any unlocked phone that supports Verizon (CDMA networks) will work. My wife has Xfinity Mobile service (with iPhone she bought separately) and is happy with it. I've been using $99 Annual "Essentials" plan from Red Pocket which works out to $8.25/month (you pay upfront for a year and it includes all taxes/fees except for sales tax). Currently using it with an unlocked Samsung Galaxy A50 I got at Best Buy for a discount because it was open box (still carries 1 year warranty). It's got a relatively low monthly data cap (500MB) for cell data, but I usually stay below it. You can buy some additional data in incremental quantities if you happen to run out for the month. They have other annual plans with higher monthly caps. It's an MVNO like Xfinity and many others, but they let you have your choice of providers (Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, or Sprint) unlike most others. I chose AT&T and am happy with their coverage.

Last edited by lbj42; 03-23-2020 at 09:05 PM..

Old 03-24-2020, 08:27 AM

I've been in there as recently as today. Unless you have an i-phone a Galaxy or a Pixel you need to buy a new phone or trade in your old phone. It was that way when I had a Moto G4 and its that way with my Moto G6.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/byod/...ibility/device
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor