Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 02:18 AM

4 posts, read 27,759 times

Advertisements

troy, rochester hills, bloomfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 04:07 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,877,636 times
I'm from Rochester Hills, which is a drive to/from Ann Arbor. I recommend Northville, although I can't remember how many gated communities I saw around there. I also have no idea what houses are going for thesedays in Northville or Plymouth Township.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:48 PM

5 posts, read 64,925 times
Default Update, Thanks for all the advice

Thank you to all that have given the advice. It is almost a year later and after researching the area extensively I settled on Brighton. I checked into Milford, Northville, Novi, and Commerce. Brighton had everything we wanted: close to shopping, plenty of trees and nice size lots. We found a development that offer a large diveristy of homes ranging from mid $500 to $3 million. While we are not at the upper end of that range it is nice to see that quality of home.

One unforunate part is that we decided to purchase a home that was half completed and have been delayed for 4 months now. You would think that builders would have tons of extra time given the state of housing today but this one is totaly disorganized. While the constuction quality seems to be sufficient, dealing with these people has been horrible. They continually try to change our selctions even though they agreed in the contract. They intentionally made the contract vague so they can dispute every detail. Hopefully things will work out and we have definately learned a lesson with contracts and shady builders.

Thanks again.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:39 PM

7 posts, read 28,616 times
Default Chelsea is a great small town

Quote:
Originally Posted by gators196 View Post
May be relocating to Ann Arbor/Livonia area soon. What would be the best place to live?

1. safety
2. resale value in 3 years (will be a temp move)
3. gated community?
4. friendly towards a young family

We will be spending from 350K to 450k or more. Will spend over 500K if the resale potential is better. I have noticed through the local MLS that Shelby Twn and Washington Twn seem to have the best house for the money. But are they good places to live?

Thanks for any advice you can give?
Hello,

My husband and I were born/raised in Chelsea; both graduated from there and only recently moved due to job opportunities farther north. We both worked in Ann Arbor for years, and the I-94 commute is generally quick and painless, unless there is an accident or horrible weather. We loved Chelsea and still consider it our original home town, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a move. We generally felt that Dexter is quite close to Ann Arbor, and home prices are higher. You can still find a nice home at a nice price in Chelsea. The schools are great, the community is nice, and there is still the small-town charm that we grew up with.

If you want a more active night life and things to do, Ann Arbor is the place for you. Lots of shopping, and downtown is unique. I have heard that Saline is a nice place to live, and lots of folks have chosen to live there.

Personally, the towns surrounding Ann Arbor have succumbed to some urban sprawl. East, it is heading towards Detroit - you don't really want to live in Ypsilanti or Canton, in my opinion. West is better. If you want to go north, Brighton is growing as well. We had a fantastic real estate agent named Andy Piper from Keller Williams in Ann Arbor if you want a second or third opinion.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:03 AM

36 posts, read 150,893 times
I hope things work out for ya.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:25 AM

26,197 posts, read 14,811,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gators196 View Post
May be relocating to Ann Arbor/Livonia area soon. What would be the best place to live?

1. safety
2. resale value in 3 years (will be a temp move)
3. gated community?
4. friendly towards a young family

We will be spending from 350K to 450k or more. Will spend over 500K if the resale potential is better. I have noticed through the local MLS that Shelby Twn and Washington Twn seem to have the best house for the money. But are they good places to live?

Thanks for any advice you can give?
I think Ann Arbor is a great place. It is growing, Google opened an office there, the University od great, so much to see and do there. I liked living off of Plymouth on the North side when I was a student there.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:10 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,686,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolsen View Post
If you're working in the Ann Arbor with the ability to afford 350 and up on a home, then Ann Arbor, itself, fits your needs.

The above is true only IF you don't mind paying out $350 K for a tiny ranch house on a tiny lot. Home prices are absolutely ridiculous in Ann Arbor. And there's never enough of a housing downturn there to drive the prices down. There's always some IBM exec or eminent professor willing to pay top dollar for some itty-bitty place.

North of Ann Arbor, in Livingston County (20 mins. away by freeway) --mostly Howell and Brighton, with Brighton closer to AA -- the housing boom has gone bust and you can get super nice places at closeout prices. Lots of young families with kids, pretty decent school systems, and quite a range of places to live -- farmhouses, 18-room Victorian mansions, attached condos, live-works, in town, in the woods, in the fields, you name it -- with high asking prices that can be haggled down to very, very little. In my own condo complex places valued at $150K are going for $40K-80K and even lower.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:37 PM

167 posts, read 429,897 times
I agree also. With home sales the way they are, you're better off to rent for three years. By renting, you have the opportuity to get a feel for the area. You could always take some side trips in your off time to see what the outer lying areas are like. Don't worry, you're not going to miss out on any deals. The down trend in the housing market is going to be around for a long time. Wait until you are ready to buy and stay rather than buy to sell. Good luck............

Old 12-29-2007, 05:49 AM

1 posts, read 6,253 times
I'm going to pull for Ann Arbor here. You have the best ability to purchase much more home and the values are low right now but they will not stay low in AA. I'm not counting on the rest of Michigan to rebound like AA but this area and the surrounding towns are the best place to buy. You will not find a gated community, you don't need it in Ann Arbor and its a wonderful place to raise kids.

The problem with the other posts is that 1.) they are generally NOT in AA if they are talking about the multitude of homes on the market. We also have many homes on the market but they are selling. 2.) Don't rent if you need to be near Ann Arbor, it is the best time to buy and you will see your home increase in value if you have 3 years to wait. I think it will only take Ann Arbor two years.

Full disclosure here: I am a Realtor but I love what I do because I'm working with buyers and the buyers and sellers are finding each other in Ann Arbor. It's a great town and the only one like it in Michigan.

Sorry but I wouldn't live in any other place in Michigan.

Last edited by a2karen; 12-29-2007 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: taking out the e mail me...which I never gave an e mail address anyway...

Old 12-29-2007, 09:28 AM

10 posts, read 34,968 times
Move to Ann Arbor.

We looked at Novi, etc. Acres and acres of McMansions. Houses that all looked the same, peaked roofs and fake brown brick, smashed on to tiny little lots. Yuck.

In Ann Arbor I have a really cool contemporary house on 1/2 acre, and I can walk to the unversity and downtown. My kids walk to school. I can ride my bike downtown for the summer arts festival. And the houses next door don't look exactly like mine.

The schools are excellent, the city is interesting, and there's lots to do. And I don't live in my car. Why live 60 miles away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor