Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor
 [Register]
Ann Arbor Washtenaw County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,306 times

Advertisements

I went to college in Ann Arbor and loved it. I'm living in New York now and am searching for a similar town around here. It's such a great place. The Arboretum is a great place to walk: Matthaei Botanical Gardens & Nichols Arboretum at the Univeristy of Michigan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 AM

217 posts, read 607,897 times
I live in the U.P. now, but I was born and raised in Ann Arbor and loved it. Still go home when I can to visit my parents. Good diversity, good schools, and there's plenty to do (there's lots more than just University of Michigan athletics, though that's a major part of the culture, too).

In terms of outdoors, are you looking for anything specific for running trails? Road running or more trails through the woods or a mix of both? People run all over town, through campus, wherever. I used to run cross country for Pioneer High School and running around town was fun, but we'd also divert our runs through the Pioneer Woods and Eberwhite Woods to give us a mix of both road and off road running. There's also a few Metroparks...Hudson Mills out in Dexter and Kensington up near Brighton...that have paved paths around the park (Mills is about 3 miles around, Kensington I think was 8 miles), as well as hiking trails.

As for hiking trails, I'm not as familiar with places to go outside the parks. I'm sure there's some out there, but don't expect any 8,000 foot mountains with old growth forests that you're accustomed to out in Oregon.

Places for dogs...I'm sure if you can find one of these hiking trails you can get away with letting them off leash. Otherwise, there's a couple of dog parks in Ann Arbor.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:14 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Thanks all,

I really appreciate all your advice! From your descriptions, I sure hope I get to head out to visit soon!

SpaceGhost-I enjoy on and off road running, but tending towards the latter lately after minor knee surgery this spring. My wife is pretty crazy about running through the woods, she does it 3 times a week or so. Sounds like there are a lot of woodsy parks in and around Ann Arbor. Any great places for hiking and camping with the kids in SE Michigan?

What is the chance of buying a 5 acre property near AA with woods and a garden area for $200-250k. Out here in Oregon, it was hit by the housing bubble when we bought in 2003, so we could not afford more than a 900 sf 2 br home. Would be nice to upgrade a bit, but I hear AA is very expensive.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:26 AM

217 posts, read 607,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
What is the chance of buying a 5 acre property near AA with woods and a garden area for $200-250k. Out here in Oregon, it was hit by the housing bubble when we bought in 2003, so we could not afford more than a 900 sf 2 br home. Would be nice to upgrade a bit, but I hear AA is very expensive.
I would say if you're looking for acreage, look out towards Dexter. It's a nice small town about a 15 minute drive NW of Ann Arbor with easy access to A2 (Dexter-Ann Arbor Rd/Miller Ave go straight to downtown Ann Arbor). Good schools, nice small community, woodsy all around (Hudson Mills Metropark is located there). One of my friends just moved out there a little north of town in the country and loves it.

I did a quick Realtor.com search. Is this the type of place you'd be interested in?

5080 Mcguiness, Dexter, MI, 48130 - MLS ID#2907669 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

$213K, 4 bed, 1.5 bath, 3.25 acres, and from the photos looks to have a nice mix of open space and woods. Very close to Hudson Mills and Pinckney State Recreation Area.

Here's a few others...

7222 N Territorial Rd, Dexter, MI, 48130 - MLS ID#2907506 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

4268 Potts, Dexter, MI, 48130 - MLS ID#2901388 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Here's a few Ann Arbor listings...

3211 E Joy Rd., Ann Arbor, MI, 48105 - MLS ID#2907226 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3211-E-Joy-Rd_Ann-Arbor_MI_48105_1111202536 - broken link)

4725 N Territorial Rd, Ann Arbor, MI, 48105 - MLS ID#2907200 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/4725-N-Territorial-Rd_Ann-Arbor_MI_48105_1111191788 - broken link)

Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 PM

943 posts, read 2,280,772 times
I am conservative and used to love Ann Abor. I used to go and visit there when I lived in another town I talk about alot on here. I used to go visit and stay there during college. For me it is a place of a ton of fond memories. It is more urban, but isnt shockingly big to someone who would come from area like Portland or Eugene. There seems to be a lot going on there, groups and clubs. One thing, Ann Arbor it can be more expensive, but if you have a good stable career and living going, I think it could be a very nice place for someone to live and they would enjoy. From what I know from friends who have lived out there in NW area, housing is FAR cheaper in Ann Arbor even if Ann Abor is a lot more expensive as far as Michigan goes.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:06 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
[quote=Fiddlehead;10408181]Hello Michiganders!

I have an application in at UM for a faculty position. I work out here in Southern Oregon (Ashland) as a federal scientist. We would not move unless offered the job of favorable terms, and we would plan to stay at least 5-7 year, or longer.

Here's what I know. It's colder and flatter there than here, with an equally large number of rivers, and many more lakes and great thunderstorms. I hear there are excellent parks in Ann Arbor, and good schools. Economy is equally bad in both places. It seems like many people have a soft spot for Michigan, and it appears to be a beautiful state, but with problems too.

We love being outdoors all year in all weather. Rain, heat, snow. Are there good running and hiking trails around AA. Good places to run a couple hyper dogs? Has anyone made the move from the Pacific Northwest to Michigan? What worked and what did not? What was a pleasant surprise? What do you miss?

Thanks, Fiddlehead[/QUOTE

No brainer, Oregon for you ! Ann Arbor is better(by far) for the cuture vulture who lusts after classical music,art, theatre etc which,by your description is not you.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:29 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Sounds like there are a lot of woodsy parks in and around Ann Arbor. Any great places for hiking and camping with the kids in SE Michigan?
If you're thinking longer than a Friday to Sunday weekend, it really is worth the 3-4 hour drive to the Lake Michigan side beaches to camp. Something like Brighton Recreation Area is nice enough, but Hoffmaster, Muskegon, and Silver Lake just blow the inland lake parks away, and even Grand Haven is fun if you just want to plunk down directly on the beach for a couple of days.

DNR's Parks and Camping page: DNR - Recreation & Camping

Old 09-03-2009, 10:09 PM

Hey all,

Very cool to get the feedback Wow, loved viewing the RE listings! Those are certainly much more than I could afford here for under $500k!

I also appreciate the tips on camping and hiking along Lake Michigan. Generally, we are weekend warriors right now, as I am often overworked and cannot even take off the few vacation days I have. But I do like the idea of camping by the lake for a few days and just enjoying the fresh air and sand between the toes!

Although I mentioned outdoor things primarily, which is what we do on a daily/weekly basis, culture and arts are certainly something we enjoy. With a young son to raise, I would love the opportunity to expose him to plays, symphony, etc.

I suppose the main tension for us will be considering leaving the mountains and woods of S. Oregon for the woodlands and lakes of Michigan.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:05 PM

Hi All:

I did not get on base with that Michigan job. So, I'm staying in Oregon for now. Thanks for all the great advice though!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 AM

504 posts, read 2,175,820 times
Sorry you didn't' get the job. I hope the economy turns around so that both OR and MI can move on and up.... We spent the week-end in Portland and an evening with friends of our who have lived in Sault St Marie as well as Southern Oregon and Portland. The 2 states really do have a lot in common as far as their economies and economic cycles go. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Ann Arbor