Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 01:41 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,543,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Something like this. Best of all worlds. Victorian style, brick, sizable, no front/side yards, but room for some plantings in the front.

That nameplate is tacky as all hell though. They should have gold-leaf lettering on the transom window.
DC row houses are some of my favorites
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 11:08 PM

175 posts, read 404,593 times
Geez- only two people said MCM or Open and Sleek!
If EVER my house sells.....I want the most simple home I can imagine.
1. ALMOST...flat roof
2. Floor to ceiling windows on 2 sides
3. Brick/stone on 2 sides.
4. Single floor.
5. Acid stained cement. Polished.
6.Everything open except the bathroom
7. Closet built of large cabinets-on wheels so I can move it/use it as a 'wall'. Only 6' tall.
8. About 800ft□
This would be easy to get around when it comes time for a wheelchair. Minimalist but not super modern.
I might want a dog-trot...kitchen with small sitting/fireplace/1/2 bath in one building.
Bedroom/full bath/laundry in second building with large screened in porch in-between.
Reclain rainwater from roof/gutters into lined silo or cistern.
Plain. Simple.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:16 AM

11,561 posts, read 9,265,606 times
Three or four story brownstone with a few families living there and a small communal backyard which can be used to plant organic vegetables and host social gatherings.

I also like modern highrises which have a balcony overlooking a city and you can have social gatherings there. I also like if there is a communal organic garden or communal sports inside the highrise for entertainment.

Or a three story French colonial if you're in a warmer climate. A communal organic garden would be great.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:21 AM

4,117 posts, read 5,524,172 times
A medieval home in a small village in France.
A modern flat overlooking the Thames in London.
An old church renovated to become a home - overlooking the sea in west Scotland.
An open plan modern home on the eastern Australia coast.

Now I just need to win the lottery.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:58 PM

17,404 posts, read 65,552,552 times
Too many to choose from!

Craftsman/Bungalow
MCM
Contemporary Flat
Modern interpretation of a Log Home/Lodge
Southern Plantation Greek Revivial

But, if I had to put one at the top of the list:

This would be it!!!!!!!!

Old 11-17-2013, 04:48 PM

533 posts, read 1,108,304 times
I really like the southern greek revival look, but I think it would be too formal looking for me to actually live in. Realistically if I could up and buy a house today it would be a lowcountry/tidewater like this:

Old 12-22-2013, 10:47 AM

25,256 posts, read 18,405,027 times
By far, Victorian homes: Queen Anne (my favorite), Second Empire, Gothic Revival, Italianate. Roughly from the 1860's through about 1910.

After that, comes Colonial style homes--pre 1820 or so, all the way back to the 1600's.

Then, at a distant third, would be the "bungalow style" that largely replaced Victorian era homes--primarily from the late 1910's and 1920's.

I seldom see a modern home that I give a second look, unless it is copying any of the above.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:14 AM

28 posts, read 40,991 times
I'm all Modern old stuff looks cool, but, it makes me cringe. I'd be one of those Design people ripping out everything in the old home just to make a modern new home and replacing everything in it. Lol.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:23 PM

654 posts, read 940,087 times
Three-story Italianate and Second Empire Victorian-era brick row houses are my favorite. They were built roughly from the 1850s through the 1880s and are fairly common in cities in the Northeast. The Mansard roof was a distinguishing feature of the Second Empire, and is often made out of "dragon scale" shingles, if that's what they're properly called (I don't know?). The door hoods (not sure what they're called) are also awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum