Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 03:49 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,938,725 times

Advertisements

Ok, where to start? First: the interviewer has no concept of cost: $7 million? Missing a zero there, unless its $7 mill. just for the shell. Second: there's nothing new about this technology- insulated pre-fab concrete panels have been used in commercial construction for a decade now. OK maybe there is twice the insulation in this example, and maybe its held together differently, but its not rocket science. The only problem with it is getting a sense of craft into the work- a level of detail that you might have in any honest historic example, since the panels are machine made. Third: why do you have to build 70,000 sq. ft. to test the material? Most test projects I have been involved with were 2000 sq. ft. or less.
I'm guessing that there is some creative marketing going on here: for the products (subsidies) , for the energy efficiency (more subsidies), and for the future use as a conference center etc. (write offs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 04:58 AM

23,868 posts, read 32,134,743 times
I'm afraid of that house! It might eat me!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,637,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
i think pensmore is spelled penetentiary.

Or penismore

Old 07-09-2012, 07:58 PM

21,608 posts, read 24,753,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Ok, where to start? First: the interviewer has no concept of cost: $7 million? Missing a zero there, unless its $7 mill. just for the shell. Second: there's nothing new about this technology- insulated pre-fab concrete panels have been used in commercial construction for a decade now. OK maybe there is twice the insulation in this example, and maybe its held together differently, but its not rocket science. The only problem with it is getting a sense of craft into the work- a level of detail that you might have in any honest historic example, since the panels are machine made. Third: why do you have to build 70,000 sq. ft. to test the material? Most test projects I have been involved with were 2000 sq. ft. or less.
I'm guessing that there is some creative marketing going on here: for the products (subsidies) , for the energy efficiency (more subsidies), and for the future use as a conference center etc. (write offs).
Sounds about right for cost, $100 a square foot or there about. It's not detailed construction with expensive materials.

Marketing for sure. Biggest home built in the US in the last 60 years gets attention, even if its not particularly impressive. Especially if done at costs for mass construction, which at around $100/sq foot they are.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:29 PM

774 posts, read 1,686,692 times
Default Will be impossible to sell

Instant White Elephant.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:06 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,045,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Sounds about right for cost, $100 a square foot or there about. It's not detailed construction with expensive materials.

Marketing for sure. Biggest home built in the US in the last 60 years gets attention, even if its not particularly impressive. Especially if done at costs for mass construction, which at around $100/sq foot they are.
Not for high end construction. $100/ft is cheap run of the mill custom home construction. This house will be well beyond this.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:58 PM

5,692 posts, read 5,936,059 times
There's a few new homes in the Toronto area that are quite impressive, some are nicer than the others.

This one's Ballymena Estate, as seen from the back (Lake Ontario), owned by Michael Lee Chin and built a few years ago.

Seen from the front:
Ballymena at dusk | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

More pictures here: Album 15 « Gallery 51 « Roofing Gallery | Custom Cupola & Steeple Co. Ltd.

Edgemere Estate, last owner was Peter Gilgan, a major homebuilder in the Toronto area, but it will now be destroyed for boutique condos... The owners spared no expense on the plaster mouldings inside. I think the house was built in the 80s.

Bottom two pictures: Flickriver: i. duke's photos tagged with oakville

Chelster Hall, possibly the biggest house in Canada. It has 16ft ceilings and the house is 48,000 sf. Supposedly it was built to last 500 years.
SimpleViewer
Inside a home built to last generations - The Globe and Mail

63 Park Lane Circle
in Toronto's Bridle Path neighbourhood. I think a lot of the homes were built for foreigners, and the area took a bit of a hit with the economy with a couple mansions that look like they were abandonned mid-construction. However, this ones looks like a keeper to me.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:21 AM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times
If I had the money, I would much rather build a few small houses in different parts of the country than one big dump. It would be every nice to spend different seasons in different places with a small low upkeep home in each place.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 PM

23,065 posts, read 28,778,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Hmm... classic proportions, well thought out design, built out of solid concrete with the latest technological innovations...

Definitely NOT a mcmansion!

People need to realize size itself is not an indicator of bad mcmansion-ish architecture. It's ok, really... it's kinda like a 21st century Biltmore...
Now here's a house/mansion that would qualify for homeowner's insurance in Mexico, as in Mexico you can't get insurance on a house built out of wood. Not built out of concrete, no insurance!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,190,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If I had the money, I would much rather build a few small houses in different parts of the country than one big dump. It would be every nice to spend different seasons in different places with a small low upkeep home in each place.
Something I usually have to remind people that say this sort of thing about houses/cars, whatever. People that have this sort of money usually don't have to choose either/or. It's not this OR that, it's usually both. They don't have one big house instead of a few smaller houses scattered around. They often HAVE smaller places scattered around as well as the one big house.

It's only us poor people that think that we'd have to take several lesser places instead of one big one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum