Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 09:42 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times

Advertisements

What was with the sudden drop in inspiration and rise in ""all business no artistry"?

Especially for L.A. who got the worse of it. Wilshire Blvd would look so much better if it had Chicago or Manhattan Style buildings. And no, it isn't "LA style" it's really more of a lazy style.

We're still sort of the same these days though because we got giant glass buildings now. Wich look nice but really don't look as amazing as old school gothic architecture. But they're still better than the plain concrete boxes we got.

Not to mention that ridiculous fire code we have where every building has a flat top for a helipad. You dont see other quake cities like SF, or Tokyo having that type of code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
It's not very controversial among urban planners and urban planning enthusiasts to acknowledge that what was done in 70's and 80's was a travesty. I'm glad to say that pendulum is starting to swing back the other way and what's being created now is much more thoughtful. I can best characterize that disaster as a lazy lack of foresight and imagination. It's very good to see cities going back to mixed use, buildings aren't islands and we need to design with a holisitc understanding of place and of creating place. Although, the office building were the least terrible thing to come out of that era. Myopic office parks and sprawling suburbs that go on uninterrupted for miles without any commerce interspersed or any access to transit is really the height of folly. The office building of the era were just uninspired, not utter boondoggles, and there were a few nice examples.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
One travesty in the suburban office parks is the abundance of grass that is irrigated and mowed as if it were a golf green. You notice many of the buildings are jagged, that is to create more corner offices.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:51 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
One travesty in the suburban office parks is the abundance of grass that is irrigated and mowed as if it were a golf green.
Agree with that!

Old 04-19-2012, 01:25 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Also, what was up with the use of the colors gold and black? Was it meant to make it seem futuristic?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:36 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Also, what was up with the use of the colors gold and black? Was it meant to make it seem futuristic?
I've seen the colours used tastefully, they're just out of fashion now. Colour schemes come and go, but solid design is appreciated forever.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:39 PM

78 posts, read 179,797 times
Brutalism isn't that bad as long as they used material which ages alright (water-stained concrete... eugh) and there's a contrast with surrounding architecture. I think Chicago's 70s and 80s buildings create a nice contrast with surrounding architectural styles. Anything more than a sprinkling and things start to look like Soviet Russia though.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:39 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Boston thought it was ok to go from

to

So much fail

Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Boston thought it was ok to go from

to

So much fail
I used to hate brutalist stuff, but now I like it. Obviously the first one is way more pleasing to the eye but I now don't cringe when I see these types of buildings.

40-year nostalgia cycle?

I'm hoping others see it this way too, and the Morris Mechanic theater here in Baltimore can see some new life without being destroyed:

Old 04-20-2012, 10:44 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,911,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I used to hate brutalist stuff, but now I like it. Obviously the first one is way more pleasing to the eye but I now don't cringe when I see these types of buildings.

40-year nostalgia cycle?

I'm hoping others see it this way too, and the Morris Mechanic theater here in Baltimore can see some new life without being destroyed:
The question is... can it be destroyed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum