Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 03:47 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,607,099 times

Advertisements

You never see an electrical cord or power strip or even an electrical outlet with things plugged in, in home interior photos. [You never see wastepaper baskets either, even in most bathroom photos.]

No wonder the rooms look so immaculate and perfect!

My rooms are absolutely lined with endless cables and cords and they are really unsightly.

What do you do with all your cables and cords?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 05:26 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,679,617 times
I imagine when those pictures aren't being taken, those houses have just as many cables and garbage bins as any other. Although, the house I used to own had the kitchen garbage bin neatly hidden in the cabinets. You open the door, slide out the bin and drop your trash in, then slide it back and close the door.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:36 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,607,099 times
I wish someone created baseboards that flip up from the bottom, you could place cables and cords behind them and flip them back down.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,679,617 times
That's actually a pretty darn clever idea! Come to think of it, you could probably build that yourself, although you'd have to conceal the hinge somehow.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:13 AM

216 posts, read 446,586 times
If anyone believes that 'magazine' homes are like that in real life, you need to get a clue. They're like photo shopped models on the front cover - Altered to convey a different image of something they are not.
Magazine houses merely look the way they do in order to sell more magazines. I'm sure the power cords and waste baskets are stowed away somewhere, and immediately after the shoot they're right back out in the open.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:14 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,793,742 times
A piano hinge is probably the way to go.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:37 AM

28,455 posts, read 84,989,538 times
Default Top notch interior designers use all sorts of tricks so that their best cliients homes ALWAYS look "picture perfect"...

When it comes to electrical outlets I've seen all kinds of tricks -- floor mount outlets, outlets drilled into window sills,motets on the underside of overhanging cabinets... Similary tricks for telephone jacks and A/V cables,mince those are typically low voltage the skilled installers that specialize in high end work are generally able to tuck them into upholstered surfaces and other places so that end result is like a customized car with not a single visible wire.

Of course all these tricks still require MASSIVE amounts of time / labor to implement and changing anything means you have to call back the "custom installer" whose hourly rates look like the billing sheet for a law firm SO if you really want a "picture perfect" home that looks like it leapt out of a magazine be prepared to pay prices that even some 1%-ers can't / won't stomach...

There is some "trickle down" -- pull out trash bins / hampers are cheap and readily available from many firms. They are generally available in sizes for kitchens, bathrooms, and even closets/ bedrooms. Even regular Joe Sixpack style kitchens done on modest budgets routinely incorporate them these days. Been around since at least the 50s for higher end homes....

Old 09-27-2012, 11:13 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,720,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You never see an electrical cord or power strip or even an electrical outlet with things plugged in, in home interior photos. [You never see wastepaper baskets either, even in most bathroom photos.]

No wonder the rooms look so immaculate and perfect!

My rooms are absolutely lined with endless cables and cords and they are really unsightly.

What do you do with all your cables and cords?
It's the same reason women look so smoking hot in glamour magazines:

Careful staging and attention to angles, stage lighting and Photoshop. A "magazine house" is not a liveable house; it's a set to look at.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:42 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,403,084 times
Usually they are not taking pictures of the office or the utility room. Most requently it is the front parlor. Ours has 1 item plugged into an outlet. A tiffany type table lamp from 1910. You really do not see the cord.

We have loads of electronics in the back parlor and also a rowing machine in the middle of the room. However the TV, sound system DVD and Xbox are in an antique armore. Close the coor and all you see is a nice beveled mirror. The few other cords are conceled. The rowin machine and a laundry basket full of Xbox games and accessories cna be picked up in an instant. Ten minutes and "Viola" a cordless and clutterless appearing room.

Dining room has no cords.

THe rooms with cords running around simply would never be in those pictures. The libary has comuters and printers on big folding tables, book everywhere, tools and two huge bid cages. Mudroom has shoes, coats, scarves, sports stuff, crossbow all kinds of junk. Kids bedrooms look like a church rmmage sael gone bad. Those rooms would never make a magazine photo. Kitchen, they would probably only photograph elements in close ups rather than a big picture picture. I dont think they photo shop them much, but they are selective in taking the picture and selective in chosing pictures. If a cracked wall or something being repaired shows in the back ground, they move and zoom and change angles until it does nto show.

Also a lot of people (like me) really hate cords running around and either minimize them or hide them. I woudl rather just add an outlet than have cords running all over the place.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,995,383 times
All of my kitchen appliances and their cords are going to be installed within the cabinet with a rolling pull out and the cords will be stored under the cabinet, plugged in where they cannot be seen at all. I dislike all that cord mess. Currently my cords are stapled to the underside of my desk as much as possible and run along the leg as well or under the carpet as much as possible and the plug outlets are at the floor so the plug goes directly under the carpet into the outlet with very little showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum