Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I certainly see a change, but not a decline.

Did you know that "Gothic" to describe architecture, was originally a negative term? Wiki explains it better than I can:

Many of the buildings in your examples have Gothic influences, HiFi...
So? I don't follow you. Are you calling these buildings rude and barbaric? They're art nouveau for goodness sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
I don't see it, it's just different. Not everyone likes fussy buildings.
One example to the next is different, these stark night and day products of two cultures are way past different

and how convenient that it takes no artistic talent and minimal effort to create a 'non fussy' one. just an added bonus of the modern approach to the arts I suppose any minimal-talent joker can contribute

Old 03-14-2013, 12:54 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
So? I don't follow you. Are you calling these buildings rude and barbaric? They're art nouveau for goodness sake.
You sound like those Renaissance fellows who looked down their noses at Gothic architecture.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:58 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,869,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
One example to the next is different, these stark night and day products of two cultures are way past different

and how convenient that it takes no artistic talent and minimal effort to create a 'non fussy' one. just an added bonus of the modern approach to the arts I suppose any minimal-talent joker can contribute
1. There's no such thing as 'way past' different.
2. It is MUCH harder to design a simple building well, as it is easy to cover up mistakes with ornaments. It's why historical buildings are often stodgy and overwrought.

Also I noticed you deliberately picked modernist buildings that are pretty weak (apart from the Corbusier one and the church.)

Last edited by archineer; 03-14-2013 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-14-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
1. There's no such thing as 'way past' different.
2. It is MUCH harder to design a simple building well, with ornament it is easy to cover up mistakes. It's why historical buildings are often stodgy and overwrought.

Also I noticed you deliberately picked modernist buildings that are pretty weak (apart from the Corbusier one and the church.)
A building which I could have designed vs one designed by a great artist who had studied under the wing of a master for years ,who had studied under the wing of a master, who had studied under the wing of a master, etc, are way past different, you are in the realm of superior and inferior, not different.

If it makes you feel better about your accomplishments and those of the architects whom you admire, than keep telling yourself that. However, the public is not going to keep buying it forever, an art renaissance is definitely in the wind.

I didn't deliberately pick weak or strong from either, for the first list they were mostly from a chicago world's fair architect and some sculptures from the fair and the rest were buildings i happened to see while looking at his buildings, as well as some paintings representative of the time. for the second list I looked for celebrated buildings and artists from our time and searched on them to find the examples. If i had wanted to make modern look especially bad, boy could i of, but it would be clear i was picking the worst. Some of the modern ones I picked I somewhat like, but they are not in the caliber of any in the first list, and it is silly to even attempt to regard them as equal in either effort or in result.

Last edited by HiFi; 03-14-2013 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum