Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:44 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,766 times

Advertisements

house in Wales, built in 1402! So perhaps I was wrong about the style being German. The twin gables in front are not a style that I've seen on stone houses in central PA or in Washington county. The central tall gable is pretty common as a Gothic Revival architectural detail, though. But those little low twins on the front of the house seem to occur with regularity in stone homes of Wales.

Sally Shalam checks into Hafod-y-Garreg, Powys | Travel | The Guardian ^

Another Wales, below:

Don't those look a lot like PA stone homes, lol!

Washington, PA landmarks: http://www.washcolandmarks.com/index...task=Scategory

more old houses: http://fmyphotos.com/old-houses-log-...nd-more-photos

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 03-18-2013 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,114 times
There are alot of stone houses where I live. Here are a few related to this topic:

Abram's Delight (c. 1728). This has been fully restored. Style looks like the pic in PA above:
Winchester-Frederick Historical Society

George Washington's HQ (c.1755):

Stonewall Jackson's HQ built in Hudson River Gothic Revival style (c.1861). Also fully restored:

Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 AM

1,161 posts, read 2,447,207 times
Stone is one of the most common building materials in Europe and still is. In large stretches of the UK the majority of dwellings are built out of stone, either rubble stone covered with plaster or solid stone. These areas are called the "stone belts," as stone was commonly available and cheap.

There's no specific stone style as stone was used in every architectural period from medieval to Tudor to Georgian to Victorian to 21st century.

Stone houses have always been rarer in the United States due to the cheap availability of timber (by the 18th century timber was becoming rare in Europe so people stopped using it). My house in Maryland is stone, built circa 1925 in the style of an 18th century Pennsylvania farmhouse. I love the solidness of the house and the nearly 2ft thick exterior walls never cease to amaze me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
house in Wales, built in 1402! So perhaps I was wrong about the style being German. The twin gables in front are not a style that I've seen on stone houses in central PA or in Washington county. The central tall gable is pretty common as a Gothic Revival architectural detail, though. But those little low twins on the front of the house seem to occur with regularity in stone homes of Wales.

Sally Shalam checks into Hafod-y-Garreg, Powys | Travel | The Guardian ^

Another Wales, below:

Don't those look a lot like PA stone homes, lol!

Washington, PA landmarks: Washington County History & Landmarks Foundation

more old houses: FMY Photos » Old Houses, Log Cabins and More Photos

Old 03-21-2013, 02:01 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,578,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
Another Wales, below...Don't those look a lot like PA stone homes, lol!
When I was in Wales, I saw many homes/buildings that reminded me of PA, especially all of the mortared stone walls with the "pointy" stones on top (different than the "dry" stone walls in New England). Pennsylvania once had a lot of Welsh settlers... still has the Welsh place names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum