Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:06 AM

114 posts, read 850,201 times

Advertisements

We are rebuilding our little old house. We are going with the old footprint so we can save interior square footage, so it's taking some time thinking up the best option for a new layout that works well with our lifestyle. It's not exact, just a novice rendering.

Here's a first floor layout. Second floor will be a dormered attic with 2 bedrooms & a bath. We may or may not finish that portion now. So we ideally would like to create two "bedrooms" on the first floor in the interim.

It's a little over 1500 sf, and i do not know where things should/ need to go structurally (stairs, windows, headers).

We have a slight corner water view that we'd like to keep open, so that is why the kitchen is over yonder. Our family is small but growing so open layout is our preference, but i do like some separation from kitchen to living room.

Please share your thoughts on this layout. I'd love to hear good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 06:11 AM

114 posts, read 850,201 times

Old 04-12-2013, 10:02 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
I might reorient the whole place to take advantage of the water view (if it's a good view) but other than that it looks fine. Be sure to get an architect or qualified builder so you don't collapse your house. Is there no window in the office/guest room?

On the other hand, that tiny hallway towards the jack/jill bath seens kind of odd and the giant foyer seems like wasted space...

Old 04-13-2013, 03:40 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
My only major concern is the foyer. That space just left of the stair is wasted. Why not expand the kitchen southward?
I wonder if you have a plan for framing this? The notch in the upper right may be an unnecessary complication. If its for the view, I'm not so sure its getting you much benefit. I'm not a big fan of making compromises for views, unless there is really a special view. You will see the lake just fine from a normal corner, particularly if its highly glazed.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:25 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
[IMG][/IMG]

Not knowing what direction the house lies or any other site considerations, here is a thought. Same overall dimensions but I can't figure out the exact dimensions of the notch out of the corner- I guessed it at about 9'-0" each way. I disagree with the above opinion about the notch being an unnecessary complication, two glazed corners taking in the view can be better than one.

Last edited by T. Damon; 04-15-2013 at 04:35 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 05:32 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
If the idea is for a "story and a half" Cape Cod style then the stariway pretty much has to end up in the center of the house. Other than that T. Damon's layout of bedroom & baths is superior. Foyer looks way way too big still. Don't wanna have fireplace on front wall, not sure if existing foundation issues might prreclude any kind of fireplace. Nook likely would not be possible without some foundation modifications, need to know local policies on "existing footprint" situation.

Both the OP and T. Damon have poorly laid out the kitchen -- not enough counter space, poor appliance locations, inefficent plumbing locations...

What about utility space? HVAC? Water heater? Electricals?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:59 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
^^^
Jeeze it's just a quick layout.

Stairs end up close to the center upstairs, foyer is generous and an important welcoming circulation element of the house, plumbing is mostly back to back or close by to each other besides the view from the sink- you are never going to have one "wet" wall with multiple bathrooms/kitchen/utility room. There are 2-6" to 3'-0' counters on all sides of appliances/sink and easy to add more in a perfect work triangle plus a huge pantry with counter. Who says OP doesn't want a fireplace? I like the bay window nook, maybe that is just a window seat that is cantilevered, same with the fireplace. If rebuilding, a little extra foundation work, if required, isn't going to affect the final price by much.

It's not supposed to be a complete plan, just some ideas.
[IMG][/IMG]

Since you seem so quick to critique let's see yours.

Last edited by T. Damon; 04-15-2013 at 07:02 PM..

Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Sorry if I came off as harsh, that was not my intent.

What is needed is more info from the OP -- does the footprint have to remain the same? I know that is not unheard on some sites that are close to waterways.

The details of what is happening are important -- is the goal to level the existing structure or save some of what is there? Is there a budget?

I have seen thousands of homes. I actually lived in a Cape Cod that was very similar size as well as owning one others that despite similar size had different layouts -- stairway has to end up near centerline for clearance. Plumbing can be consolidated / centralized too for cost savings / ease of layout. Questions about mechanical / utilities can make huge differnce in costs...

I have remodeled many kitchens both in homes I lived in and rentals. Pretty much all buyers / tenants strongly prefer sink that has view out to back yard. Similarly the ability to have range exhaust out through side / back wall is huge plus. Smart to do layout to maximize counter top runs. Appliances placement is best in work zones without "cross traffic"..

If a fireplace is possible most folks like to have chimney central or on sidewall, not front of house. If the "inset corner" is existing it will complicate framing for upper level and complicate space use on second floor, especially for a story and half type Cape Cod...

Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
here is my take on this plan
The living room windows in the front need to be the same size. I would like the 2 of them together. Lose the window on the side in the living room area, that is where the TV should go.

No island in the kitchen, waste of space.
back door should be glass doors in that area to open the space up.
The office room needs a window.
The window in the bathroom needs to be over a bit more as to not overlap into the tub area that little bit.

Absolutey no window behind the bed, that throws the whole wall off, plus looks terrible, and you cant get to it anyway, and serves no purpose.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:17 PM

536 posts, read 573,642 times
I'd put the kitchen down where your seating area is, and take out that half wall and put in appropriate railing. Seems like a lot of wasted space between the foyer and your kitchen area there.

Can't deal with the odd placement of the stairs cheaply though. So I dunno about moving those.

Good luck with whatever you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum