Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:24 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,941,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Architectural Designer is to Architect as Paralegal is to Lawyer.
Maybe I'm out of the loop on this, but my understanding is that I can go to a school to take courses designed to turn me into a paralegal. There is no architecture equivalent. I can take architecture courses at random, but mainly I would be looking at a 5 year B.Arch program or a 4 year B.Science or B.Art in Architecture- and study along side all the prospective architects, and attend all the history,statics, and systems classes that would be required of such a program. Are there associates degrees now for "Architectural Designers"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 03:13 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,306,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Maybe I'm out of the loop on this, but my understanding is that I can go to a school to take courses designed to turn me into a paralegal. There is no architecture equivalent. I can take architecture courses at random, but mainly I would be looking at a 5 year B.Arch program or a 4 year B.Science or B.Art in Architecture- and study along side all the prospective architects, and attend all the history,statics, and systems classes that would be required of such a program. Are there associates degrees now for "Architectural Designers"?
Last I knew, my state, the State of New York, does not require any specific education or licensure for either paralegals or architectural designers. Your state may differ.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:55 PM

413 posts, read 698,876 times
I always thought it funny that we were required to take two semesters of calculus in Architecture school. Because when it came to our building structures classes, they taught us all the calculations using arithmetic,even though they were obviously based on differential equations. They seemed to believe architects don't do calculus.
And I was a "Registered Architect," now retired. Most US states have laws against calling yourself an "Architect" unless registered (licensed). "Designer" or "Architectural Designer" are not restricted. I think some community colleges and tech schools do offer architectural design and/or drafting degrees that are are like engineering tech programs designed to get you a job in an office helping produce plans and specs, but not qualifying you for professional registration.
I would say math is important, but spacial sense is essential.

Last edited by Johanna25; 10-05-2013 at 09:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum