Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:11 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,932,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I agree that the typical late 40s early 50s house was a ranch. What you are calling a bungalow may be the same as a Cape Cod style home. I currently live in the mid-west and my area is full of late 40s early 50s Cape Cod style houses. I think there are more of them then ranches in 40s early 50s subdivisions. But both styes are prevalent and not terribly inspiring.

Also, I happen to love Craftsman style bungalows from the teens through the thirties. So much so, that I own one!
Yes , I can agree on all of that , sorry for my misuse of terms , but for some reason anything small and vertical with a extreme pitch roof and no overhangs , was considered a bungalow in Iowa , or parts there in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,396,234 times
Regarding universities, most were inundated with applicants, first after WWII, because of the GI Bill, and then again, during the Vietnam War, as many young men sought to avoid/defer the draft by going to school. Countless new buildings had to be built nearly overnight and many of these rush jobs were of unquestionably inferior quality.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 AM

You speak of the ranch , which we had few early on . It became the house of choice for more affluent citizens when brick entered the area. Almost all in my town were new and red brick faced , at lest in part; Pryor simple brick was only used for chimneys as it was considered extravagant .

The craftsman home was always a favorite of mine too , considering I follow the FLR school of Art. The high use of wood everywhere and the low windows provided lots of extra light , and of coarse, the 3-4 foot overhangs fit in so well with the Prairie style of Mr Wrights structures at lest early on.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:35 PM

5,886 posts, read 6,085,926 times
I think it depends on the city. Garfield Ridge in Chicago for instance was mostly built after WWII and the main housing type is narrow little bungalows that I would call neither ranch nor cape cod, and Toronto has plenty of homes that look the same in neighbourhoods like Alderwood or O'Connor-Parkview which also developed mostly after WWII.

Here in Kitchener-Waterloo, it looks like you might be right about tudor revival, and there do seem to have been cape cod and ranch homes built earlier on in larger proportions than in Toronto, but you did have a lot of homes like these two
http://goo.gl/maps/ZDX1Y
Or the ones on the other side of the street, which I call veteran homes
Based on 1945 air photos
Kichener-Waterloo Clickable Index

These "veteran homes" were built all over Canadian cities during the 40s. I guess they're pretty similar to cape cods.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:17 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times
In this area, the split level house ruled throughout the 60s.
They are all rather disjointed looking, but some manage to tie the external elements together well enough, while others are just as ugly as Rosemary's baby.

I live in one. It falls into the former category. From the outside front it's passable. The back looks like 2 separate house plans got into a fight with each other, but the lot slopes steeply from to back; it's a 2-story house in front and a 3-story house in back.

Despite it's meager street appeal, I would sell it for the world. The interior is very sunny, even in the darkest days of winter, all the rooms are spacious, and the main floor is paneled in 1/4" thick tongue and groove redwood. It's snug in the winter and cool in the summer, and is built sound and square. All the landscaping is mature, and the lot is just the right size for me.

Of course everything is 5 steps up or 4 steps down when I'm doing things, but the exercise is good for me, and everything has it's proper zone.

Once in a while, I see a home that really attracts me, but I always think about what my present place have soon after. The next thought is "Nah. I just keep what I have." It may not be exactly beautiful, but it's nice and homey in all the right ways.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:22 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,390 times
Memph was that Stony Brook University in NY? Great pictures.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:52 PM

5,886 posts, read 6,085,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Memph was that Stony Brook University in NY? Great pictures.
Nope, University of Waterloo in Ontario but you're not the only one who thought it was Stony Brook. UW's campus seems more compact and the University has a bit more students.

I took a few pictures from the top floor of the library building a couple weeks ago.

Engineering buildings with student apartment buildings in the background.

The campus' "main drag"

Front to back, future new science building, biology building, quantum nanotech building and math building.

The new science building is going to be glued to the modernist biology building, so to preserve biology's windows there will be an atrium between them. They've done the same with Environment 2 and Environmnet 3.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
Well, there were aluminum homes built after the second world war. One company was Lustron interesting
article and pictures (click on left to see images).

Lustron Preservation » What Model Is It?

Old 11-04-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Well, there were aluminum homes built after the second world war. One company was Lustron interesting
article and pictures (click on left to see images).

Lustron Preservation » What Model Is It?
I think these homes were porcelain Clad steel , not " made of aluminum". Many farm silos were , are , built from panels coated this way.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 PM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Man, did this thread take a left turn or what? The question was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
...what happened to the good architects in this time period?

There are/where a lot. Some not so well known, others more well known. The names aren't important because all I read was one person's distaste for pretty much all architecture; what I heard was I hate avant garde.

As an old saying goes- "One man's junk is another man's treasure". So too is, one man's architectural art is another man's graffiti.

Besides, isn't more important what happens INSIDE a college campus building and not what it looks like from the outside?
And it has been discussed before-
News, America's Ugliest College Campuses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum