Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 06:35 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times

Advertisements

Kathryn, my parents would have loved your neighborhood ... the houses seem so spacious and situated well spaced apart. The area seems so neat and nice nicely landscaped: a vision of ideal and upscale suburbia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:39 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Cleveland??? (sounds like it)
No, Cleveland only has a handful of real row houses, and they are quite nice. I think Ohiogirl81 lives in the Philadelphia area.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:33 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
Typical late 1950s-early '60s suburban neighborhood in Colorado. Mostly ranch houses with a few two-stories here and there. Well-built brick homes on mostly 1/3 acre lots. Sidewalks everywhere but not near any walkable shopping. But hey, it's the 'burbs, we get in the car.

Old 03-18-2014, 06:18 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
No, Cleveland only has a handful of real row houses, and they are quite nice. I think Ohiogirl81 lives in the Philadelphia area.
Oh, yeah, Philly has some really crumby stuff once you get further out (certainly not university city, or rittenhouse)

Old 03-20-2014, 01:12 AM

815 posts, read 2,998,094 times
Mid-century modern for the most part, a name that has become popular lately. Mostly ranches, built of brick and cedar shake mostly between 1950-1960 by a handful of builders. Though there are houses built in the 1970's, 80's and a handful of brand new . There are quite a few two story, split level thrown in as well. Its a nice mix of well kept suburbia, and has survived a flood (2006) and a tornado (2008) without missing a beat.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:22 AM

My hometown is Hollywood, Florida, and the neighborhood I grew up in is called South Lake. It is the one of the older neighborhoods, being closer to downtown and the beach and it had a mix of newer 1950's and 1960's ranch style stucco homes and older 1920's "Florida Boom" era Spanish/Moorish Mediterranean style homes ...

Old 03-26-2014, 06:23 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
We live in an older, inner ring suburban neighborhood. The homes were built between 1900 through the 1930s.

The home styles are varied, but harmonious. No two are exactly alike. Predominant architectural styles include, neo Colonial, American Four Square, Arts and Crafts, Dutch Colonial, Cottage Style, Tudor, Shingle and Federalist.

There is a greenway separating the street. As another poster noted, in Summer the trees arch and join together. The Autumnal display is a blaze of orange, red and gold.

We have sidewalks, which I love. Most of the people here are avid gardeners, and owing to the age of the neighborhood, mature well kept plantings are the rule, rather than the exception.

If anyone is old enough to remember "Leave It to Beaver" - or watched the re-runs of the same show, a neighbor of mine referred to as "Leave It to Beaver Land". I agree.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
do you have the ping pong table in the garage - Does alice do your laundry? If so does she still wear the blue outfit
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I wish I had Alice! I'm a lousy housekeeper!
Forget Alice.

Some of us would prefer Raoul the shirtless pool boy whose limited English includes "You like another Margarita?" and "When you like your foot massage?"

Old 06-09-2016, 07:55 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
My current neighborhood is best described as a classic "streetcar suburban" neighborhood, albeit with a Pittsburgh twist (which mostly means the lots are very narrow - generally speaking no more than eight feet between houses).

The far southern portion (where I live) tends to be older, with more houses built out from 1895 to 1915 or so. The houses tend to be grand brick foursquares, which were built with lots of woodwork, stained glass, pocket doors, etc. Our house is one of the more intact ones, but plenty have been remuddled. On some blocks a substantial number had been chopped into apartments, but there was always some multifamily (semi-attached, rowhouses, and two-flats) scattered through the neighborhood as well.

Just to the north there's many blocks which are primarily bungalows along with later foursquares built in the 1920s. The housing stock is notably smaller as well. Some blocks have later infill with driveways. Overall it's the most suburban-feeling part of the neighborhood.

In the far north, around the business district, housing is older again, but most of it isn't grand. Nearly half the housing stock is late-period rowhouses built out in the 1910s and 1920s. Many of the detached houses are wood frame instead of brick, and built in a pseudo-rowhouse style. It feels the most urban by far, but it's still not as urban as the core neighborhoods in the city of Pittsburgh.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:33 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
My neighbourhood consists of 3-4 different home designs, of a typical 1970's American suburb, repeated over and over in groups of 5-15; some are a mirror image of the one next door; some are single floor ranch and some are two-storey with a crawl-space attic; all have an attached garage but no porch. They nearly all have light coloured vinyl siding and white vinyl windows. The exact same looking neighbourhood (of the exact same home design) can be found in any 1970's era development across the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum