Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

My house was built in 1997. Brick "all the way around" except for the front porch area which is wood siding for effect (it goes with the style of the house in other words). Solid wood doors, gas OR woodburning fireplace, and no granite in the kitchen (tile but we're about to redo it and are putting in soapstone counter tops). Beautiful woodwork and molding throughout. We just installed hardwood flooring and we're about to put in travertine in the kitchen.

It's not a luxury home, but it's a nice home. It was custom built, in a neighborhood of custom built homes. We love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 07:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
McMansions do not have vinyl siding. They are at least 5,000 sf. with high end finishes, and typically are placed in an area where they don't fit in with the rest of the neighborhood. The OP is talking about the tract homes thrown up during the big boom years of home construction in the suburbs. The split level, or "mid-entry" as we call them here, is considered undesirable compared to a full 2 story, but they still sell fast in the current market. Just that the offers are not as much over the asking price as the 2 story and ranch homes. Vinyl siding is very rare here, as is stucco, most homes have cedar siding though some of the less expensive newer condos and townhomes are sided with Hardie cement/fiber.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:13 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I think of a split level as having 3 distinct levels and I like them as well. They started being built in the 60s. The split foyer is a product of the 70s and functionally isn't much different than a basement ranch - just that the entrance is in the middle.

Old 09-04-2014, 08:40 PM

233 posts, read 373,901 times
I actually think mainstream cookie cutter two story homes in the 80's and 90's were much larger than you find now. The much larger two story homes are now usually built with better materials, whereas cookie cutter homes seem to have gotten much smaller.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:53 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
I'm still seeing a lot of McMansion construction in urban (obviously smaller than in a suburb) and
in suburban areas. Found this report. Even though the average house-hold size of a family today
has decreased - homes are getting larger.

Today’s new homes are 1,000 square feet larger than in 1973, and the living space per person has doubled over last 40 years | AEIdeas

Old 09-06-2014, 03:58 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Most new homes aren't McMansions simply because most aren't large enough to claim the title. There are entire McMansion neighborhoods and infill McMansions. Typically they are thought to 'stick out.' Some neighborhood of grandiose 6000 sf homes in a corn field fits the bill. As does a teardown that goes lot line to lot line on a lot originally used for a bungalow.

I would guess that currently the majority of new homes are tract homes and utilize all the tricks in the book to maximize effect and minimize cost (& often quality). So hello 5-10' side yards, squarer floor plans, ostentatious roofs on a simple house, multiple types of siding on one house & often slab on grade construction.

Hardie/cement siding is actually a quality material so if that's the low end one is living in a nicer area. And WORD to whoever shared the hatred of brick fronts on a vinyl house. I've seen people do it decently before by atleast wrapping the corner with brick or having it appear as if the brick portions are bump outs. But last week I saw the most horrendous use of the brick front yet. The brick literally was only on one plane of surfaces- so the 2' front door setback had vinyl at the sides and this scrawny band of brick around the door. And the garage on the front had brick only at its front so between the front brick face of the main portion of the house & the brick face of the garage was a 12' wall ov vinyl. And having a ginormous 2.5 story house flat to the ground did not help the aesthetic. And yes- it was in a development by a national builder.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
McMansions do not have vinyl siding. They are at least 5,000 sf. with high end finishes, and typically are placed in an area where they don't fit in with the rest of the neighborhood. The OP is talking about the tract homes thrown up during the big boom years of home construction in the suburbs. The split level, or "mid-entry" as we call them here, is considered undesirable compared to a full 2 story, but they still sell fast in the current market. Just that the offers are not as much over the asking price as the 2 story and ranch homes. Vinyl siding is very rare here, as is stucco, most homes have cedar siding though some of the less expensive newer condos and townhomes are sided with Hardie cement/fiber.

Mcmansions DO have vinyl siding. And their fans seem to love it! They can be tract homes, spot built or custom built.

Given the choice, I'd prefer a late 50s split level any day in the week.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:24 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,507,013 times
I love my 70's split level house. I specifically didn't look at any houses built after 1980 because I can't stand any of them except some architect-designed ultra-modern ones. I always thought of McMansions as being cheaply built large (3000 sq. ft. plus, mostly suburban, tract houses built starting in the '90s. Give me the Brady Bunch house any day.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:24 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
"Are MOST homes built in the 80s or later "McMansion" style?"

That answer would be NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Would you say the majority of homes built in the past 35 years in America have that ugly vinyl siding and are made of cheap materials?
Vinyl siding? No. Cheap materials? Well... Cheap labor/untrained personnel? Definitely.

Don't really see the relevance to "Architecture"- which is what the Forum is for!

Old 09-19-2014, 11:44 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,743,989 times
I would say that MANY post-1980s homes are not McMansion.

McMansions are characterized by two features.

1) They're ugly as sin and they're oversized, low-quality monstrosities built on traditional suburban lots. When they're infill, they're a real eyesore to the neighborhood. When it's a murder of McMansions, they're less hideous-looking.

2) McMansions encourage the idea of "individual compartmentalization." Each bedroom is more like a suite, with "bedroom suites" found at the end of hallways, each having its own walk-in closet/dressing area, private full bathroom, and oversized bedroom, so family members can stay as far away from each other as possible.

Conversely, "Craftsman-style bungalows," were built 100 years ago by people who actually had some skill and talent.

Check out this Aladdin kit home ("The Pomona") in Roanoke Rapids, NC. I love this photo because the house is RIGHT ON the rail line!

Here's an original image (from the 1919 Aladdin catalog). Please note, pre-1923 images are in the public domain, and no longer under copyright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum