Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 10:33 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,862,059 times

Advertisements

When we moved here we knew it was a temporary move (4 years), so we chose to rent a brand new, 2400 sq ft house in a 'new' neighborhood. Prior to the move we owned a gorgeous, all brick 2200 sq ft colonial, built in 1924 on a treed street in an established neighborhood. The new house has nice upgrades, real wood floors, granite, stainless, open concept, 2 story foyer, etc. and it's a complete piece of junk. Craftsmanship is a joke on these shoddy, cookie cutter homes, and it has given me real insight into the lack of quality in new builds. The neighborhood is 5 years old and the homes are already starting to show their age, that's pretty bad for 225K-250K new builds. We are leaving here in a month and the next home 'purchase' (in a few years) will be an older home with trees on the property!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 12:16 PM

15,992 posts, read 10,550,537 times
I lived briefly (11 months) in my family's 100+ year old folk Victorian and enjoyed it very much. There were some problems...like an unused cistern trying to collapse, and some odd wiring and plumbing issues. The furnace almost killed my daughter with carbon monoxide. It was cozy, all brick and uninsulated. Surprisingly, there were no fireplaces. The stairwell going upstairs to the two bedrooms was too narrow and steep for a box spring and we had to wrestle the mattresses to get them up the steps. Same way with furniture. The rock foundation and the brick floor in the basement was often damp. But the old place overflowed with character and charm and was in a historic district. I think that house will be there another 100 years.

Apart from that brief period, I'm on my fourth house...the only one I didn't have a role in building. It's twenty years old. I'm the fourth owner and spend much of my time repairing or replacing what the second owner (a "handyman") did ten years ago. I actually like the house very much and get some enjoyment out of working on it but wonder why certain decisions were made and "improvements" added. I'm almost afraid to start some projects for fear of what I'll find.

When I built my own house I knew how it was put together, trusted the craftsmanship, approved the design, and added what I wanted and avoided what I didn't want. After about six months I recognized that some things were design flaws or slight problems but they were my design flaws. Some were easy to fix (pantry door) and some weren't (reconfigure a deck). I think that it will take me longer to get my current (pre-owned) house corrected to my liking than if I built it myself.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:23 PM

23,467 posts, read 13,697,516 times
We-ll, when it came to the ranch, it was either build a house or live in a tent.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:45 PM

2,324 posts, read 5,486,255 times
I don't get it either. I didn't look at any houses built after 1980 when I was buying. Anything after that just looks plain ugly architecturally and cheap unless you are talking about million $ plus architect designed places. The other thing I couldn't stand about newer houses is the tiny lots. Who wants to spend $500,000 to live five feet from the neighbor and have almost no privacy? I'd rather just buy a condo and forget it if I wanted new construction.

I can't imagine what it would cost to re-build my house. Everything is custom built (except the kitchen cabinets) including at least 40 windows. It doesn't look like any other house in the neighborhood, that's for sure.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I don't get it either. I didn't look at any houses built after 1980 when I was buying. Anything after that just looks plain ugly architecturally and cheap unless you are talking about million $ plus architect designed places. The other thing I couldn't stand about newer houses is the tiny lots. Who wants to spend $500,000 to live five feet from the neighbor and have almost no privacy? I'd rather just buy a condo and forget it if I wanted new construction.

I can't imagine what it would cost to re-build my house. Everything is custom built (except the kitchen cabinets) including at least 40 windows. It doesn't look like any other house in the neighborhood, that's for sure.
Well, that is one of the reasons for the ranch.

I would look at all these housing developments with their homes on the 1/4 acre lots and wonder WHY?

As it is, the big reason for the ranch has always been room to do experiments and applications. Now maybe it will end up that I never get to the point of building what I have wondered about, but at least it won't be the lack of room that stops me. To me, buying, living in one of those places would be the crusher & destroyer of spirit. That is, instead of exploring the science and engineering I want to, I would just be someone who went to work each day until the day I died.

But, as said, the ranch didn't come with a house, so the only choice is build a house.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:44 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,038,282 times
Some of us are very happy with our little patch of outdoor space. Big enough for a grill and a table and chairs buto not a lot of yard work and other outside maintenance. And lots of public green space all over for when we want more room out of doors

Old 05-20-2016, 11:14 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,513,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, that is one of the reasons for the ranch.

I would look at all these housing developments with their homes on the 1/4 acre lots and wonder WHY?

As it is, the big reason for the ranch has always been room to do experiments and applications. Now maybe it will end up that I never get to the point of building what I have wondered about, but at least it won't be the lack of room that stops me. To me, buying, living in one of those places would be the crusher & destroyer of spirit. That is, instead of exploring the science and engineering I want to, I would just be someone who went to work each day until the day I died.

But, as said, the ranch didn't come with a house, so the only choice is build a house.

I've already had the big yard and all the maintenance that went with it. Now we're retired and we have a ranch style house on a 1/4 acre in town in a gated community and I love it. We also have a winter house in Arizona on an even smaller lot. I'm to busy with all sorts of activities to worry about maintaining extra real estate I don't need and I certainly don't feel that my spirit is being crushed or destroyed.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I've already had the big yard and all the maintenance that went with it. Now we're retired and we have a ranch style house on a 1/4 acre in town in a gated community and I love it. We also have a winter house in Arizona on an even smaller lot. I'm to busy with all sorts of activities to worry about maintaining extra real estate I don't need and I certainly don't feel that my spirit is being crushed or destroyed.
Well, to each their own.

Ie, the activities I would like to be busy with are algae experiments. Such things do not come easy on 1/4 acre lots.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:50 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,304,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, to each their own.

Ie, the activities I would like to be busy with are algae experiments. Such things do not come easy on 1/4 acre lots.
A previous neighbour had their swimming pool such that it was its own "algae experiment".

Old 05-24-2016, 12:06 PM

5,251 posts, read 6,339,550 times
I currently have a 1/4 acre lot that is too much. It's mostly useless grass, and if I want to see some nature, I'll go to a park. .15- .20 of an acre is the right size for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum